LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:29 am

Post subject: how to fly with a bass
PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 11:54 am 

Lefty hive mind: Over the years, I've toured around North America but believe it or not, I'm flying to a gig for the very first time, NYC to SF. What are the best practices?

I've got the Hiscox flight-strength case. Do I lock it or wrap it with plastic or does TSA frown on that? Do I de-tune the strings? What else should I know?

Mucho thanko in advance!

Post subject: Re: how to fly with a bass
PostPosted: August 11th, 2019, 1:25 pm 

I traveled to London once and I traveled with my Danobass and it's small and lightweight. I took the neck off and was able to stuff it in the overhead as I always get early boarding. I would not do that with a great bass and the Dano was my beater bass but I really like it.

Not suggesting to do this but I wanted to share it worked well for me.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 7:08 am 

Here is what I've been able to glean from asking around local people

- Use a flight case.

- Don't lock the case.

- Wrap the case in bungee cords.

- Detune it before flying.

- Pad the flight case even more (bubble wrap, socks, etc) so that the bass can't move around inside at all.

- Email the customer service rep of the airline with the PR for the event you are playing and tell them that your fans will expect you to be using the instrument you are known for; they might offer to store it in the first-class closet or check it at the gate with the baby strollers. I thought this sounded nuts, but apparently, it works a lot if you are playing a big event and can prove it.

- Don't fly Delta.

I'll let you know what happens.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 12:35 pm 

It's all about Risk vrs Reward, I did a corporate gig in on the west coast and we rented full backline including a left handed bass from SIR. They have a location in SF but not sure if they would rent just the bass.

http://www.sir-usa.com/

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 5:40 pm 

For what it's worth....

I fly alot with my bass(es). Like a TON. Mostly overseas to Europe and back to Canada but I've flown domestically in North America and in Europe as well with no issue. What everyone has to keep in mind with all of this is the "internet effect". In other words, if someone has something to complain about they are 100% for sure gonna let the world know on the webs. If everything goes ok..... (crickets)....

I use an SKB Bass Safe and check it. This is only because I have to fly with two basses and I can fit two basses in two separate gig bags inside that case. It's snug, but it's worked every time. I've lost count but I'd estimate I've checked my basses in that case in the neighbourhood of 50 times. All the guitar players in my band just bring one guitar each - because they are right handed and can rent good backups from our backline supplier - and they use gig bags and carry them on. We've had initial jive at the check in counter once or twice, but ultimately they always let them on the plane. The last couple of years it's been even better. KLM flight attendants see a guitar and will usually offer to put it in the first class closet.

So I guess what I'm saying is..... if you're gonna - or have to - check it, use a really good case. If you have a nice gig bag that ain't too bulky, just take it as carry on. (And maybe don't risk flying with an Alembic or Fodera or something. ;) )

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 11:35 am 

Step 1: Find the tallest building you can, climb to the roof. Bring two basses.

Step 2: Grasp a bass in each hand.

Step 3: Run to the edge of the building at your highest speed. With arms outstretched, flap the basses in the air as hard as possible as you jump off the edge.

Step 4: Hope for the best

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 8:38 am 

I ended up just renting a bass from SIR for a week in San Francisco. It was surprisingly cheap to do that. It's a 2014 American Fender P-bass that looks like it just came out of the store because, as they told me, "nobody ever rents this thing."

Oddly, I've never ever owned a Precision and I haven't used roundwound strings since 1999, so it's been fun. These modern P-basses are real monsters.

Thanks for the useful info at any rate friends!