LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:51 am

Post subject: Mesa Boogie Goodness Heading My Way
PostPosted: October 6th, 2022, 4:05 pm 

Just picked this up. It’s on back order for a couple weeks but if all goes as well as I think it will, I’ll be parting ways with my Darkglass Microtubes 900 (which is also amazing)

Mesa WD-800. Anyone here have experience with this amp?

https://www.mesaboogie.com/en-US/Produc ... Metal-Head

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Mesa Boogie Goodness Heading My Way
PostPosted: October 6th, 2022, 4:23 pm 

No, but I had a TT-800 for a while, and it was the best hybrid head I've tried, out of many. I only sold it because I do everything with pedals.
I'm sure the WD is equally great.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2022, 4:42 pm 

Yeah I ran across good things online about that amp as well! People seem to rave about Mesa in general.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2022, 12:45 am 

Awesome!

We're not getting any new Mesa amps here in Europe at the moment. They've had massive supply chain issues and a huge backorder list in the US alone that they're serving first. They need to have many of their products re-certified for the European market due to new, stricter electrical safety standards. So for now there's ZERO option to order new here.

Last edited by Jeroen on October 7th, 2022, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2022, 5:41 am 

I've had a D-800 head for ages. (No tube.) It's been absolutely amazing. My main amp is a Mesa Bass Prodigy (250w, all tube) which sadly, they don't make anymore. I use the D-800 as a spare/back up when touring, or for smaller gigs or rooms. I can definitely hear the difference between the tube amp and the D-800 when I'm standing next to it. But I've been told by our front of house guy that it's almost impossible to tell the difference out in the audience. (I'm not exactly a 'hi-fi, low volume' bass player. Ha...) The nice thing about the Mesa solid state stuff is that it will work anywhere in the world. It does all the voltages. It's so light I can throw it in a gig bag with my bass and carry it on a plane.

I think you'll be very happy with that WD-800 for sure.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: October 9th, 2022, 8:01 pm 

I have one paired with the SW115. Great sounding amp. I use the footswitch with the eq to brighten the tone during some instrumental parts of songs.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2022, 11:22 am 

Loving the input guys! It’s making me even more hyped to play this thing. And yeah I’m definitely gonna do the foot switch as well. 8-)

PostPosted: October 11th, 2022, 9:31 am 

Just curious. Matt. Why are you looking to part with the Darkglass? I bought the same head a year ago (with the matching 4x10 cabinet) and I'm loving it for far.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2022, 10:02 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Just curious. Matt. Why are you looking to part with the Darkglass? I bought the same head a year ago (with the matching 4x10 cabinet) and I'm loving it for far.

Im actually thinking of keeping it now. I absolutely love it. Excited about the versatility of the Mesa though

PostPosted: November 8th, 2022, 2:17 pm 

Congrats!!
I've always been a big fan of Mesa. At the end of the pandemic, when gigs started happening again, I needed a new class D amp as my back couldn't handle schlepping my Fender Super Bassman head. No new Boogies could be found anywhere so I went with a Quilter bass block 802, which I am still using to this day. Rather have a Boogie TT-800 though, as I'm a tad disappointed in the Quilter's EQ capabilities.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2022, 2:59 pm 

Man, every week the ship date keeps getting pushed back. Seriously considering saying fuck it and cancelling

PostPosted: November 8th, 2022, 3:57 pm 

I've heard folks outside the US can't get them at all.

If I were in this position, I would look for a used one and cancel my order if a decent deal popped up.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 2:04 am 

tim wrote:

Yep, unfortunately. As posted above:

We're not getting any new Mesa amps here in Europe at the moment. They've had massive supply chain issues and a huge backorder list in the US alone that they're serving first. They need to have many of their products re-certified for the European market due to new, stricter electrical safety standards. So for now there's ZERO option to order new here.

To add to that: they're also wickedly expensive here.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 2:31 am 

From the Parametric EQ on the front, to the options on the back side, this is like the Swiss Army Knife of amps... I'd say hold out, and wait for this amp to show up on your doorstep, no matter how long it takes... be patient grasshopper-san.... :)

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 6:27 am 

My Darkglass just had to go back to Sweetwater for the 2nd time in under 2 years for repair. I might have to seriously look at the Mesa Boogie now. I love the sound of the Darkglass, but if you can't be durable, then away with you (I'm currently using my 35 year old GK 400RB backup head, which has NEVER required servicing). :x

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 6:32 am 

pjmuck wrote:
My Darkglass just had to go back to Sweetwater for the 2nd time in under 2 years for repair. I might have to seriously look at the Mesa Boogie now. I love the sound of the Darkglass, but if you can't be durable, then away with you (I'm currently using my 35 year old GK 400RB backup head, which has NEVER required servicing). :x

Weird, I hear more and more issues about Darkglass heads lately. Mine is the very first generation and I’ve had no issues. How old is yours and what’s going on with it?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 8:27 am 

Jeroen wrote:
tim wrote:

Yep, unfortunately. As posted above:

To add to that: they're also wickedly expensive here.

Lol, I knew I'd heard it from a reputable source recently :lol:

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 11:46 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
From the Parametric EQ on the front, to the options on the back side, this is like the Swiss Army Knife of amps... I'd say hold out, and wait for this amp to show up on your doorstep, no matter how long it takes... be patient grasshopper-san.... :)

The voice of reason. I should probably take this advice. I’m just burned out on having to wait for almost every piece of gear I buy.

:geek:

PostPosted: November 9th, 2022, 11:59 am 

Matt R. wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Weird, I hear more and more issues about Darkglass heads lately. Mine is the very first generation and I’ve had no issues. How old is yours and what’s going on with it?

Amp was purchased May 3rd, 2021. Powers on, fan's on, but no sound coming out of any outputs (not even headphones). It's as if the amp's on some internal mute that can't be turned off. Thankfully, it's still under warranty, but this is the 2nd problem I've had with it that required returning it (The first problem I had the input jack came loose and fell out of the amp).

PostPosted: December 6th, 2022, 9:42 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Matt R. wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Amp was purchased May 3rd, 2021. Powers on, fan's on, but no sound coming out of any outputs (not even headphones). It's as if the amp's on some internal mute that can't be turned off. Thankfully, it's still under warranty, but this is the 2nd problem I've had with it that required returning it (The first problem I had the input jack came loose and fell out of the amp).

I had the 1st gen of the Microbes 900 head and currently Medusa 900 (sold the MT 900) and beat the hell out of them. Never had an issue. I currently run the AlphaOmega 900 and it's killer. I don't even use the dirt channel but it has a tad of grit all by itself. Sorry to read issues with the heads. Maybe parts now are not as good due to supply chain. I got mine pre-COVID.