LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 6th, 2024, 6:49 am

Post subject: Survey: If you could choose a non-traditional lefty
PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 10:45 am 

If you had a chance to make one non-traditional lefty bass lefty what would it be. Me, I would definatly make the Ibanez Iceman lefty

Post subject: Re: Survey: If you could choose a non-traditional lefty
PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 11:50 am 

Yeah, I dig the Iceman too. I also would like to see an RD Artist, Ripper, Parker Fly, or even a BC Rich Mockingbird again.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 1:12 pm 

RD Artist! Good call! 8-)

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 10:28 am 

I will also vote for the RD Artist. It was my first quality bass and I had to play it upside-down. It would be great to have a lefthanded one. I also wish there would be some way to make it a bit lighter, mine was 13Lbs! One would think that with all the wood carved out to fit the Moog electronics in it would lighten it up a bit but nooooo.The active electronics would eat batteries fairly quickly too.

But for all that...Man, what a tone machine!

RD Trivia - Dave Schools plays one on the Govt Mule's "Deepest End" concert DVD.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 3:56 pm 

I agree with the RD. Gibson should really make a reissue or have Epiphone release it or something 8-)

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 9:59 pm 

The closest you can get (at least in looks) is First Act's Delgada bass. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can order one lefty.

http://www.firstact.com/Products/Limite ... _bass.aspx

Custom shop section (there's a lefty Delgada-style guitar shown, page 11):

http://www.firstact.com/Products/CustomGuitars.aspx

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 7:28 am 

I've seen the First Act in my holiday issue of Guitar World Magazine, I'm suprised I haven't seen it in Bass Player yet. I asked if they made it lefty and unfortunatley they don't

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 7:30 am 

I'll tell you that I would definatly want the Warwick Stryker in lefty... they are absolutely awesome to play!

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 10:14 am 

Anyone want to have a Hagstrom lefty? pjmuck ive seen yours on leftybass and yours is really cool! 8-)

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 10:33 am 

Rebel wrote:
Anyone want to have a Hagstrom lefty? pjmuck ive seen yours on leftybass and yours is really cool! 8-)

+1. I like the Concorde model as well. Mine is a fun little bass with a surprising amount of deep thump in neck PUP setting. I need to restring it, but I'm not sure where to get short scale roundwounds, though I'm thinking it would really shine with flats.

Rebel wrote:
I'll tell you that I would definatly want the Warwick Stryker in lefty... they are absolutely awesome to play!

They do look very cool. I imagine they're extremely expensive. If you're into the Explorer style look, Gatlin Guitars makes a lefty Explorer bass now. Their website stated they were available in May, but I spoke to the US distributor a few weeks ago and he said it would be more likely July now. :x

Rebel wrote:
I've seen the First Act in my holiday issue of Guitar World Magazine, I'm suprised I haven't seen it in Bass Player yet. I asked if they made it lefty and unfortunatley they don't

That's too bad. They do make lefty guitar versions of this body style. FYI, Bass Player magazine reviewed the Delgada bass a while ago, and it's on their video site. Scroll down to First Act Delgada on the left and watch the review:

http://www.bassplayer.tv/index.html?req ... ion=bpgear

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 2:20 pm 

For me, probably a Kubicki Factor. Or an Epiphone Jack Cassady. Or a Gibson Victory. Or a Fender Performer.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 4:40 am 

pjmuck, you have no idea, i picked up a stryker in guitarcenter and they offered it for like 2500-3000! I also know a site where they recommend shortscale strings it also serves a history site for all past Gibson models. go to the EB0 section and on the right of the history, they list strings that are made for shortscales http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/ I have seen the delgada vid on bassplayer.com nice picks by the way, Danomite64.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 5:56 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Rebel wrote:

+1. I like the Concorde model as well. Mine is a fun little bass with a surprising amount of deep thump in neck PUP setting. I need to restring it, but I'm not sure where to get short scale roundwounds, though I'm thinking it would really shine with flats.

How about giving these a try?
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ecb81s.html

Juststrings.com is a great site, I've ordered strings there a couple of times with 14 other bass players from a Dutch forum to save shipping costs. There's an order on its way right now. Elixirs cost about half of their price in stores here.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 8:07 am 

do they sell nickel roundwound from rotosound? ;)

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 9:26 am 

Rebel wrote:
pjmuck, you have no idea, i picked up a stryker in guitarcenter and they offered it for like 2500-3000! I also know a site where they recommend shortscale strings it also serves a history site for all past Gibson models. go to the EB0 section and on the right of the history, they list strings that are made for shortscales http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/ I have seen the delgada vid on bassplayer.com nice picks by the way, Danomite64.

Awesome link to Flyguitars, Rebel. Much appreciated. Great info on Gibsons. In fact, I was playing my EB3 last night, which I had put Hofner brand flats on, and I found the tone to be a bit too muddy. Maybe Labella beatle bass flats will do the trick. I did like the improved thump over the rounds I previously had on it though. But I'm beginning to realize that most short scale basses work better with flats than rounds (Alembics not withstanding), since most I've played are too rubbery in feel/tension and don't lend themselves well to brighter tones or slap style playing anyway.

Jeroen, I'm familiar with Just Strings and I've ordered from them in the past, but your idea of doing a cooperative order with other bassists is very clever indeed. How did you arrange that? Did you have all sets shipped to one address and then forward them on to each bassist?

The problem with ordering strings untried is if you're not happy with them you're pretty much stuck. At $22-70 a set (Pyramids, for example), it can become pretty costly trial and error. Case in point, I hated TIs when I put them on my P, but for some reason they worked great on my Tele bass (strung thru body the reason?).

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 9:34 am 

actually I have coming a set of those ernie balls coming, pjmuck. I will let you know how it sounds on my Epiphone EB0 "Convert" 8-)

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 11:47 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Jeroen, I'm familiar with Just Strings and I've ordered from them in the past, but your idea of doing a cooperative order with other bassists is very clever indeed. How did you arrange that? Did you have all sets shipped to one address and then forward them on to each bassist?

One of the guys on the forum opened a thread where everyone interested could place his order. The order was then confirmed by PM. When there were 15 orders, the thread was closed and the total costs were calculated. This includes:
- shipping costs from the US to the Netherlands;
- shipping costs for forwarding the strings to everyone who had placed an order;
- 19% VAT;
- 4% import duties.
After that everyone got a PM with their payment details. When everyone had paid the order was placed, after which it took about three weeks before everyone had their strings (not everything ordered was in stock).

Even with all these costs, the strings were still a lot cheaper than here. There are some online shops in Europe that have very reasonable pricing, but even they can't beat this.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 10:36 am 

Got the EBs today... They are F**kin awesome!!!! :D They give off that nice 1960s Gibson EB0 tone. My Epiphone never sounded better! I would post clips, but I have no recording gear :x I have also decided that I would like to see the Gibson Victory Basses made lefty.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 2:00 pm 

Seriously? I think they're incredibly fugly :|

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 2:22 pm 

I played one recntly and i liked thier sound, i will agree that the style of it isn't me, the sound is enjoyable though ;)