LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 15th, 2024, 1:25 pm

Post subject: Re: My Lefty
PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 5:06 am 

I do have an explanation on why I do things the way I do them. I will admit that 2 of the 3 pix are frauds, but "Redneck" is the actual Ric, It was a 13th birthday gift for me that was ordered by the custom shop, My grandfather then took it to a local Luthier to make the trussrod cover that you see on Redneck. Believe me, it took alot for me to post Redneck on here because of 2 reasons:

1. I'm a very private person so it takes me alot to post pics of things that belong to me.

2. I cannot post my own pics (Redneck I allowed because My brother did such a good job on it, although I yelled at him for doing the project in the first place) because my camera got stolen, and my house is filled with alot of rare memorabilia of all kinds for example; I recently got a New York Yankees Seat from the old Yankee Stadium, plus my dad doesn't want anyone to know about the stuff we have... and for good reason... trust me, not too long ago, someone broke into my house! he didnt get anything though thank god.

I am sorry for doing this to you guys :oops: , i truly am, But I'm not about to risk my memorabilia leaking out on google or somewhere. plus I'm retiring the Ric because my Ibanez arrives at my house today. In short, while Redneck is the REAL bass, It will remain as the only existing pic. I will post some pics today of my new Ibanez SR300L though, I'm going down to the Bronx to visit my grandparents to hang my Ric on our families' "wall of fame" (dont ask). again, I am sorry to put you people through what I do. I hope this post will sort everything out.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 7:05 am 

Whatever. You started the damn thread, not your brother. And cameras are cheap; anybody can buy one of those disposable cameras and take pics of their stuff and have the pics put on a cd by the developer. In fact, a person who has been robbed should logically want to have lots of pics of their stuff for insurance purposes; I know my dad borrowed my camera to take pics of his '51 Ford for the insurance company.

(Image NOT flipped; note the license plate)

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 7:31 am 

I didn't think about that before. *sigh* oh well, I should be able to put that to use when I go to college in September. btw that's a nice Ford, that's all I'm gonna say.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 7:34 am 
Site Admin

danomite64 wrote:
Whatever. You started the damn thread, not your brother. And cameras are cheap; anybody can buy one of those disposable cameras and take pics of their stuff and have the pics put on a cd by the developer. In fact, a person who has been robbed should logically want to have lots of pics of their stuff for insurance purposes; I know my dad borrowed my camera to take pics of his '51 Ford for the insurance company.

(Image NOT flipped; note the license plate)

Beautiful car Dan. You should get a bass that color to match your dad's car!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 8:50 am 

Rebel wrote:
I do have an explanation on why I do things the way I do them. I will admit that 2 of the 3 pix are frauds, but "Redneck" is the actual Ric, It was a 13th birthday gift for me that was ordered by the custom shop, My grandfather then took it to a local Luthier to make the trussrod cover that you see on Redneck.

I'm sorry but I don't believe you, I know a fair bit about these Rics and I know for a fact that the Redneck in your "brother's picture" was made in the 80's because it has 2 screws on top of the black bridge tail piece to stop tail lift. This feature was stopped in production before the 90's and Rickenbacker reverted back to no screws on the bridge for tail lift, it was strictly an 80's feature that didn't last long, compare it with mine which was made in 1990. So if you are 18 now as it says in your profile, and you were 13 when you say you got this custom job, that's only around 2004, nearly 20 years after the original Rednecks or Rick basses with these features were made. I also can't imagine Rickenbacker doing custom jobs that mimic limited editions like the Redneck with painted fretboard -that would be unfair to the original buyers- and haven't offered these colours since the 90's. They also don't do custom paint jobs, they only offer what is in their catalogue at the time of purchase and the RED colour had stopped being offered in the 90's; custom finishes are only done by third party dealers. Plus if your grandfather had a custom truss rod cover made would he not have had it made the right way round?, I can't imagine Rickenbacker doing a custom bass and giving you a naff truss cover anyway, they have a reputation.

If you actually have this bass why don't you post the serial number so it can be checked out?

In your picture, this to me just looks like another flopped/reversed righty of the 80's Redneck:

Here's my Red 4003 which was made in September 1990 and has no screws in tailpiece:

There's also the matter of you saying your friend owned one lefty rick too which is actually a pic of a righty as well. I also can't imagine someone "retiring" their very rare bass to their grandparent's wall. I'm sorry but your story sill doesn't add up plus how can posting close up/mid shot pics of a guitar on the net put you at risk of being robbed since no one knows who you are or where you live?

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 1:01 pm 

*sigh* Ok, since nobody believes me and I understand why, I will come out and say that there is no Red Ric (there I said it!). to tell everyone the truth, I was ashamed about not having a single lefty in my arsenal (until today). I was watching this site build for the longest time and I saw the pics of all the amazing instruments and I wished for one single lefty... it took me 6-7 years for that wish to come true! :( What I do have in my line of basses (my actual collection) is all righties restrung and modified the best I can to make them as lefty as possable. My actual collection includes an Unfinished righty BC Rich Warlock Platinum in Metallic Blue, which is being repaired right now, An Epiphone EB0 "Convert" Convert meaning converted to lefty, and as of today... my first lefty, an Ibanez SR300L, which btw is just awesome to play. Yes I've played Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbackers, and everything else, but they were all righty. I'm like the only lefty where I live (New York), plus it sucks being made fun of because your a lefty and everyone you know plays righty, And I never found a decent lefty to play until now. Again I am truly sorry for everything :( I just got so fed up with not having a lefty or anything, that I acidentally created it. :oops: :( To tell you the truth, I am a fan of all your basses because they are all awesome looking, and I didn't even have one, hell, the EB0 and Warlock went through alot to be modified. But the Ibanez is real and I will post pictures of me holding it when I get the chance. ;)

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 2:05 pm 

There's no shame in not having a lefty instrument, I think it's something you probably built up in your head over a long stretch. It took me years of working to get a decent job so I could buy the basses I always wanted. It also means I'm more protective of them since being a lefty requires a bit more effort to find what you want in sound and look. I only have 2 basses and I don't see the point in having many more. I've never understood these people who buy a new bass practically once a month, you can't play 'em all for too long and some of the basses that people pay obscene amounts of money for, to me, can look like coffee tables with strings.

I always thought of being a lefty as a step up in any band just from the very fact that you don't look the same as everyone else so you stand out more. I never lacked confidence because I'm a lefty, when I lack confidence it's when someone is a better player or better musician but that just makes me try harder or go in a different direction. I really don't think people give a shit about what yout instrument looks like as long as you can play it, look at Hendrix, he even preferred upside down guitars. I've never heard of someone being made fun of because they play lefty so I find that strange, if you play better than they do, that'll soon pass so fuck 'em.

I'm sure most people couldn't even tell your EB0 was a righty since it's a symetrical design anyway.

I'm believe no one here will hold any of this against you, they'll just laugh and move on. We're all part of the better minority anyway.

***To me it was obvious that the pics were fake -I've seen the same reversed RED RIC image on another lefty gallery site & put 2 + 2 together- so my devilish side couldn't resist, sorry, it must be the RED RIC demon-curse.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 4:51 pm 

andrew wrote:
Beautiful car Dan. You should get a bass that color to match your dad's car!

You don't know how badly I wanted a 4003 in light blue. Unfortunately, divorce, child support, and being laid off twice in the last 5 years have not only kept me from getting one, but have also forced me to sell off every bass of value I had. Fortunately, I really like the old MIJ Soundgears, or else I'd probably be upset over all that :mrgreen:

Oh, and light blue is the color I'll get that T-bird copy in if/when they make them.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 6:26 am 

Oh man. This thread.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Rebel, I respect your manning up and coming clean about your fibs. If you want to start fresh from here with your new bass and cut the bs-ing out then it's all good. I think you've been here long enough now to see we're a pretty even keel bunch of guys and no one would bug you about your gear. But there's also enough really knowledgeable people here that you're going to get caught on your bull, as you learned.

PM me if there are any posts/threads you want deleted about a bass you don't have and we'll move forward from here with everything above board and with a clean slate. Sound fair?

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 5:37 pm 

This story/thread just goes to show that in life it is always better to tell the truth, as you will most certainly be caught telling a lie. It's too difficult to keep the fabrications of a lie straight, and eventually they will trip you up. Rebel, thanks for owning up, hope this is a lesson learned in your young life.

Be proud that you have the ability and are blessed to play music, and that you have bass guitars, whether they be lefty or righty, to play. No one will really care if your bass is left or right-handed, they will care more if you know how to play your instrument, period.

Have a great time in college, and do well...

Ian

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 7:02 am 

Thank you for accepting my apology guys, I will start fresh and I do promise LEGIT pix in the near future because I got a new Digital Camera my mom gave me (her old one), plus I gotta update my facebook anyways so I'll do it all today, As for my EB0, there is good chance that you'll see it's modified. I took the pickguard off for starters, replaced the righty nut with a lefty, and switched around the bridge (Tune-O-Matics are really easy to convert). other than that, it retains it's classical SG shape. The Ibanez I haven't touched yet and probably won't because its a lefty :lol: I am however, looking for a good Hard Case, one that has alot of strength to withstand any banging or jumped on or ran over (my coffin case for the Warlock didn't help and that is why it's being repaird... wasn't my fault) I was thinking somewhere around the size of a P Bass Case or something.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 7:51 am 

Aaaannnnnnnddddd.....roll credits!

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Rebel wrote:
I am however, looking for a good Hard Case, one that has alot of strength to withstand any banging or jumped on or ran over (my coffin case for the Warlock didn't help and that is why it's being repaird... wasn't my fault) I was thinking somewhere around the size of a P Bass Case or something.

Get a case that fits the bass properly, so it doesn't slide around inside the case when being moved too.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 10:49 am 

exactly, I'm just wondering about any good candidates for that, any suggestions?