LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 1:22 am

Post subject: EBMM Sterling 4 vs. G&L SB-2
PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 2:27 am 

Anyone have experience with these basses? The SB-2 is cheaper and sounds a bit more like a P-bass, but I'm leaning towards a Sterling because of the SB-2's weight; something I won't have to worry about with a sterling. Also, can you take off the pickguard off the sterlings or is there routing underneath the pickguard? Any other comparisons between these two basses or either of these versus other similar basses, are welcome :)

Thanks for reading. :)

Post subject: Re: EBMM Sterling 4 vs. G&L SB-2
PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 6:33 am 

My SB-2 is very light and comfortable actually. It's really easy on my shoulder, especially in comparison to my ATK's and my J. It also has a very J-like neck, which in my opinion makes it one of the most comfortable basses I have. I've never played a Sterling, but I'd love to try one. What pickup configuration would you be looking at?

When you get the Sterling HS, be aware there's a second singlecoil between the humbucker and the singlecoil for humcancelling purposes in the singlecoil settings, screwed entirely down so it'll fit underneath the pickguard. You'd expose a third pickup routing and pickup, identical to the neck pickup. There's no visible routing for the wiring.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 7:08 am 

Ernie Ball's offering 2 pickup Sterlings now for lefties?! Damn, there goes the tax return.

I've got the original single pickup model. It's been my main live bass for almost 10 years. IMO, it's the best bass EB makes. You get 99% of the Stingray tone + more versatility due to the 3 way switch and a comfy J-style neck.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 7:21 am 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

No two pickup Sterlings, Sr4's or Sr5's at this time, trust me I'm working hard on it.

There is only one in existence, a custom one off for some guy named Psycho or something...

PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 7:25 am 

Psycho Ward wrote:
No two pickup Sterlings, Sr4's or Sr5's at this time, trust me I'm working hard on it.

:cry:

And please, stop posting pictures of that bass! It hurts my feelings ;)

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 2:54 am 

on the music man website it says there's an optional humbucker/single coil option, but that's not available for lefties? :(

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 5:21 am 

Oh man, now I clicked on this thread again and scrolled past that beautiful Dargie Delight Sterling AGAIN :cry:

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 10:44 am 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

As of right now the EBMM Bongo is the only lefty that offers all pickup configurations, except for the piezo option and that will never be available for the left hand versions. Also the color "Stealth" cannot be ordered in a lefty of any model. But that's a hell of a lot more options than Fender will give you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 11:00 am 

Psycho Ward wrote:
As of right now the EBMM Bongo is the only lefty that offers all pickup configurations, except for the piezo option and that will never be available for the left hand versions. Also the color "Stealth" cannot be ordered in a lefty of any model. But that's a hell of a lot more options than Fender will give you. :mrgreen:

Hi Psycho,

Do you have an explanation of that?
Is it a question of cost?,if we take the example of the Sterling or the Stingray,it already exist in left-handed version ,do it cost too much to add another pick up?
Did you had some answer about that?

thankx

André

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 12:11 pm 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

The problem seems to be the preamp. Both of my custom one offs had to have the preamp hand built by the chief designer Dudley Gimpel. The preamp is shaped to fit the cavity, so you can't just put a right handed preamp in a lefty cavity. The piezo option will not happen due to the supplier requiring a bulk order that far exceeds the expected lefty order base.

I have constantly lobbied hard to get us lefties with two pickups and I think I had a small part in getting the Bongo for the lefty market. Sterling Ball is a friend of mine but business is business and we are a very small part of the bass world. Sterling is left handed himself, but as he likes to tell me he was smart enough to learn to play right handed. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 12:30 pm 

Psycho Ward wrote:
The problem seems to be the preamp. Both of my custom one offs had to have the preamp hand built by the chief designer Dudley Gimpel. The preamp is shaped to fit the cavity, so you can't just put a right handed preamp in a lefty cavity. The piezo option will not happen due to the supplier requiring a bulk order that far exceeds the expected lefty order base.

I have constantly lobbied hard to get us lefties with two pickups and I think I had a small part in getting the Bongo for the lefty market. Sterling Ball is a friend of mine but business is business and we are a very small part of the bass world. Sterling is left handed himself, but as he likes to tell me he was smart enough to learn to play right handed. :mrgreen:

I know that you are the best ambassador for us left-handers with Mr Sterling ;)
and i understand that the business is the business
but you finally provides us an answer for the 2 pickup version,and it is already a very good thing!!
May i ask another question? :mrgreen:
Why can't we have a maple neck for a lefty Bongo?

Thank you very much

Ps: sorry for hyjacking the post :oops:

André

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 4:36 pm 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

Sterling simply doesn't like the look of a maple fretboard on the Bongo shape. That's all I've ever heard him say about it. I've heard him say that several times, he may well have other reasons but that's all I know.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 11:22 pm 

Psycho Ward wrote:

That's extremely dissapointing :(

My dream sterling is a HS in stealth black with matching headstock. Looks like that ain't gonna happen. Sometimes, I really hate being a lefty. Please keep us informed if you get Sterling to offer the dual pickup models for us southpaws. Thanks.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2009, 11:49 am 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

This will be the first place I'll come to when and if it happens, I ain't giving up! :mrgreen: