LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 5:09 am

Post subject: Semi acoustic bass, recommend me!
PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 3:25 am 

Recently our band got some offers to also play semi-acoustic gigs, but since I dont own a semi we have always had to decline. As we are getting these offers more and more, and are quite profitable, we really want to get that going.

I am a layman when it comes to semi-acoustic basses I'd like to tap into the pool of knowledge we have here ;)
so I am looking for some advice to purchase a new/second hand one. I am not really brand orientated and my budget stretches to about 650$-450€

Maybe asking a silly question here, but does this also mean I should get a different amp? Currently I have an Ashdown MAG300

Much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Semi acoustic bass, recommend me!
PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 4:00 am 

Are we talking semi-acoustic here...

...or electro-acoustic?

I suspect the latter.
There's a nice Takamine just within your budget, not sure what it's called.

If it has a tweeter, your Ashdown will work perfectly well for an acoustic bass, you'll need to do some EQ-ing as your amp will colour the tone a lot but it will easily be able to handle and project the full frequency range (including the bright attack and harmonics) of an acoustic instrument. I would personally prefer an amp that colours less and has a brighter tone (my EBS Drome 12 combo does very well) or plug straight into the PA through a DI (I used to have a Fishman Platinum Pro Bass preamp for that purpose, when I still had my Big Kydd electric upright) but a bass amp will work nicely too.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 6:34 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Are we talking semi-acoustic here...

...or electro-acoustic?

I suspect the latter.
There's a nice Takamine just within your budget, not sure what it's called.

If it has a tweeter, your Ashdown will work perfectly well for an acoustic bass, you'll need to do some EQ-ing as your amp will colour the tone a lot but it will easily be able to handle and project the full frequency range (including the bright attack and harmonics) of an acoustic instrument. I would personally prefer an amp that colours less and has a brighter tone (my EBS Drome 12 combo does very well) or plug straight into the PA through a DI (I used to have a Fishman Platinum Pro Bass preamp for that purpose, when I still had my Big Kydd electric upright) but a bass amp will work nicely too.

Yeah Takamine are great because the preamp is really nice but not as woody compare to the Martin which is double the price.

Personally I went down to Adirondack myself to try some acoustics last year and ending up with the mahogany Martin. Amazing bass acoustically and direct.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 7:35 am 

Just curious. If you're required to plug it in anyway than why do you need a semi-acoustic at all? :?:
I understand the difference in tonality, but if the goal here is to acquire more gigs and you're hauling your rig to the clubs anyway, then why bother?

PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 6:16 am 

Thanks for the input so far :)

What we basically are trying to do is converting the current setlist into a semi-acoustic one, two guitars (Takamine's) and the drummer on sticks or brushes. The sound of my Fender would not be the right sound we are looking for, hence the need to go semi/electric acoustic. The guitars would either be amplified by amps (Ibanez TA35 troubadours) or through PA.

I'll take a look into the Takamine's as our guitar player is quite fond of that one, perhaps the basses might have the same quality

PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 4:19 pm 

I have found that acoustic bass doesnt really stand out when paired against 2 six strings.
It sort of all swells together and you might as well not be there.

Your Pbass will sound better.
Although probably not the "look" you are after but the sound will be better

think about getting a mute for your bass or put a bit of foam up near the bridge.
you can even rest your palm against the strings
this will give you a more double bass sound.

That will fit into the "sound " you are trying to get and it will sound better, more full and defined

if that is still not your cup of tea, pick up a hofner icon.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 6:10 pm 

I can assure you that an acoustic bass in a nice amp (miked if possible) with your direct sound will be great in this setting.

I'm using my Martin in an "acoustic set-up" every week on a tv show and the result is amazing. I send the direct and then back in a '63 B-15 miked with a RE-20 blended with the direct and I have no trouble on stage and the result on tv is very satisfying ;-)

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 1:18 pm 

Hi guys:

I know we talking about this thread in this guys specific situation. But could someone take a step back and just tell me what the tonal differences are between an acoustic-electric bass (been thinking about that Takamine at Adirondack guitars) and something like the Ibanez hollow body? Will a acoustic electric bass plugged into an amp have the same warm, tubby sound as a electric hollow body bass that is not meant to be played acoustically? Or will it have a more trebly sound? I am very ignorant of such things, I am trying to figure out what to save for, now that PJ has talked me out of getting a Pbass :D

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 5:24 am 

My experience was the 2 Aco guitars & my Aco bass going through the PA, with my bass via a Sansamp DI for extra level/tone control. The levels were fine onstage but outfront, don't really know. The sound I thought wasn't very 'warm' but you can deaden the sound with sponge, hand-mute, etc. I've never yet heard an Aco bass 'overpower' Aco guitars unplugged, so you need to go through some kind of amp/PA anyway, so either way, unless you're ready to pay big bucks, either type of bass would cut the gig I feel. Hope this doesn't make it clear as mud! :?

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 8:03 am 

velalv wrote:
Hi guys:

I know we talking about this thread in this guys specific situation. But could someone take a step back and just tell me what the tonal differences are between an acoustic-electric bass (been thinking about that Takamine at Adirondack guitars) and something like the Ibanez hollow body? Will a acoustic electric bass plugged into an amp have the same warm, tubby sound as a electric hollow body bass that is not meant to be played acoustically? Or will it have a more trebly sound? I am very ignorant of such things, I am trying to figure out what to save for, now that PJ has talked me out of getting a Pbass :D

A hollowbody bass and an acoustic/electric bass are two different animals. One is an electric bass with on board PUPs and tone/vol., while the vast majority of acoustic/electric basses usually have some sort of piezo (Fishman Prefix, etc). They may have on board vol./EQ settings as well, but once you use any on board electronics the tones are very different than their unplugged acoustic sounds, putting you more in the realm of an electric anyway. (With rare exception. Esperanza Spalding's acoustic bass sounds fantastic, IMO, not dissimilar to an upright; I forget the brand). So the differences in tone are largely magnetic PUPs vs. piezo at that point. Most acoustic basses I've seen/heard do not put out enough volume un-amplified (The Ernie Ball Earthwood notwithstanding), since a bass needs a large enough body to push enough air to project (which is why a double bass is so huge). Simple physics. The result is a fairly thin sounding instrument. I own the Ibanez Artcore, and while it's a very nice instrument that can do the classic tubby hollowbody tone with the tone rolled back, the PUPs are fairly hot and bright so it will do a more modern take with better treble/clarity as well. Regardless, either a hollow body electric or an acoustic bass can be EQ'ed on your amp to produce or output enough volume or treble/bass tone.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 10:13 am 

pjmuck wrote:
velalv wrote:
Hi guys:

A hollowbody bass and an acoustic/electric bass are two different animals. One is an electric bass with on board PUPs and tone/vol., while the vast majority of acoustic/electric basses usually have some sort of piezo (Fishman Prefix, etc). They may have on board vol./EQ settings as well, but once you use any on board electronics the tones are very different than their unplugged acoustic sounds, putting you more in the realm of an electric anyway. (With rare exception. Esperanza Spalding's acoustic bass sounds fantastic, IMO, not dissimilar to an upright; I forget the brand). So the differences in tone are largely magnetic PUPs vs. piezo at that point. Most acoustic basses I've seen/heard do not put out enough volume un-amplified (The Ernie Ball Earthwood notwithstanding), since a bass needs a large enough body to push enough air to project (which is why a double bass is so huge). Simple physics. The result is a fairly thin sounding instrument. I own the Ibanez Artcore, and while it's a very nice instrument that can do the classic tubby hollowbody tone with the tone rolled back, the PUPs are fairly hot and bright so it will do a more modern take with better treble/clarity as well. Regardless, either a hollow body electric or an acoustic bass can be EQ'ed on your amp to produce or output enough volume or treble/bass tone.

PJ, as always, thank you for the thoughtful insight. For what it's worth, Esperanza Spaulding's acoustic bass is a Warwick Alien. Adirondack has it lefty for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000...way more than I care to spend. I am trying to figure out how to round out my bass collection in the medium term, and the wife has made it clear that I cannot have more than 3 basses hanging out around the house. My jazz deluxe is not going anywhere., and I have a Squire P-. Question for me is what will the third bass bass. If I bought a better p, I would get rid of the Squire.

The acoustic bass caught my attention for three reasons. First, I was hoping to be able to play it at some small group meetings of my church (which consist of 8-10 people, at most) where I would be accompanied by one guy on one of those six stringed thingies, and not bring an amp. Second, during our praise and worship time we have been moving toward an occasional all acoustic set (congo, six stinger, and myself on the bass. My j bass was too hi fi, the p-bass is better, but not exactly like a hollow bass and someone had suggested that a hollowbody or acousticc ould do the trick (plus they do look cool). a

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 5:18 pm 

No problem, we aim to please. :)

FYI, Esperanza's acoustic is not a Warwick Alien. I found the info. It's custom built by Mike Doolin. It does look like an Alien though:

http://www.doolinguitars.com/abg.html

In action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mCKQzrlSyI

Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? In my hands that might be a different story. ;)

Speaking of the Warwick Alien, did the RockBass version ever come out?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 1:56 pm 

I went to Warwick's website, and they had them out, also saw a press release announcing that they were out. However, when I looked for a Warwick dealer, or on line seller, I had no luck. I would seriously consider an Rockbass alien acoustic, along with the Takamine...if I could only find someone who sells the Alien. It is supposed to be available as a lefty. Just talked to Warwick's US distributor, and they claimed that they are not quite set up yet to handle orders, but will have a sense of inventory in a couple of weeks. I'll follow up with them and let you know if I hear anything.