The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 4:14 pm

Post subject: 2eq stingrays
PostPosted: January 1st, 2021, 7:21 pm 

How hard, or what years were 2eq Stingrays produced? I am lusting after a 2eq

thx

Post subject: Re: 2eq stingrays
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2021, 5:43 am 

I could be mistaken, but I think you have to search for a pre-EB Stingray, then, if you want an original.

That said: there are several third party companies that make a 2EQ preamp, based on the pre-EB circuit. Nordstrand made the 2B-MM, but I don't see it on their website anymore. Maybe it can be done on request...(?)

If we're lucky, EBMM will make the Stingray Special available to us lefties. There are a few lefty Stingray Specials floating around after they were available on EBMM's website in 'The Vault'. From what I've heard on YouTube, the new Stingray Special sounds closer to a 2EQ than the now-discontinued 3EQ Stingray. It won't be an exact copy, since it has a 18V pre and a neodymium PU rather than alnico, but TO ME, it's closer to the classic 2EQ sound than the 3EQ.

Although this clip doesn't have the Stingray Special in it, it can be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-aUNbUu268
I'm sure there are clips of the Stingray Special to be found as well.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2021, 6:32 am 

Musicfreak1988 wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I think you have to search for a pre-EB Stingray, then, if you want an original.

That said: there are several third party companies that make a 2EQ preamp, based on the pre-EB circuit. Nordstrand made the 2B-MM, but I don't see it on their website anymore. Maybe it can be done on request...(?)

If we're lucky, EBMM will make the Stingray Special available to us lefties. There are a few lefty Stingray Specials floating around after they were available on EBMM's website in 'The Vault'. From what I've heard on YouTube, the new Stingray Special sounds closer to a 2EQ than the now-discontinued 3EQ Stingray. It won't be an exact copy, since it has a 18V pre and a neodymium PU rather than alnico, but TO ME, it's closer to the classic 2EQ sound than the 3EQ.

Although this clip doesn't have the Stingray Special in it, it can be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-aUNbUu268
I'm sure there are clips of the Stingray Special to be found as well.

Thank you for the insight. I know for sure i have seen later stingrays in 2eq formation some 80's 90's don't think 2000+ but I just wanted conformation. I actually found ab original 2eq NOS for a righty , ut was trying to figure out if i could reverse re engineer it to fit lefty lol

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2021, 7:01 am 

If you take righty versions into account, then yes, they have been producing 2EQ versions right up till the moment they introduced the Stingray Special and at the same time, discontinued the 2EQ and 3EQ versions. The 3EQ + piezo versions were discontinued long before.

There are also the Joe Dart and Mike Herrera versions, which are completely passive. The Mike Herrera signature has more knobs, but they are dummies. The Joe Dart still has a volume knob, but to my understanding, the Mike Herrera has its pickup wired to the jack, so even no volume control, like on the Anthony Jackson Presentation bass, built by Fodera.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2021, 1:34 pm 

I don’t believe EBMM ever made 2eq lefties. They didn’t make any left handers until 1996 when they introduced the 3eq lefty. So you’re looking at a pre-EB Stingray, and they are rare and now commanding a hefty vintage premium.