LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 29th, 2024, 3:10 pm

Post subject: Dream bass, but ugly
PostPosted: February 11th, 2021, 3:58 am 

I've been searching for a good 5-string for a while and I found one that on paper is exactly what I'm looking for and much more. It's made by a boutique Japanese custom shop, it's multi-scale, neck through body, active/passive, 24 fret, and hits at exactly what I want at a price that's a steal...

But it's ugly.

It's body shape is inofensive but not my cup of tea, it's obviously been used a lot which I genuinely don't mind, but it's a color that I don't like. There are also some mods to it that make it look a bit uglier in my eyes but not really deal-breakers.

I know if I got it, I would never paint it or stain it or anything. I have neither the space or the skills to do that. I may try to polish it, but then it would just be a shiny color I didn't like instead of a matte color I didn't like. I also thought about slapping a ton of stickers on it like I'm in high school again, but that may appeal to me even less than what it looks like now.

So what would you do? If you found a dream bass that was perfect in every way except the looks at a great price, would you get it? Should I just try it out and maybe I'll grow to love it? It happened before with an olympic white Jaguar that I wasn't a big fan of, now I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Or should I keep looking until I find something that visually appeals to me too?

Post subject: Re: Dream bass, but ugly
PostPosted: February 11th, 2021, 5:25 am 

If it ticks all your boxes, go for it and play it for a while to see if the look grows on you. If it doesn't, you could always consider a refinish or hopefully resell it without loss. This way you can at least try out that specific model of bass, and if it does turn out to be The One in feel and tone, have one made to your specs?

It it truly is your dream bass, specwise, then go for it.

I found my Perfect Bass by chance, I was searching for a used Stingray 5 but also considering ordering a Sandberg Basic 5 Ken Taylor 20th Anniversary, but then I ran into an Ellio Martina (Dutch independant luthier) Forza by chance and went to try it and buy it. It's finished in a very plain natural ash finish, with a maple/purpleheart neck with a maple fingerboard, and looks really bland. But almost 15 years later it is still my Number One even though I wasn't looking for it ;)

PostPosted: February 13th, 2021, 2:35 pm 

Thanks for the advice, you're totally right.

I went and ordered the bass I was looking at and it turns out they actually sold it months ago and forgot to delete the listing! I was really looking forward to it too!

Now I'm back on the hunt for a good 5-string not made in China for around $1000USD.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2021, 2:58 pm 

Bummer! So what was it?

PostPosted: February 13th, 2021, 4:55 pm 

It was made by Combat Guitars which is a tiny custom manufacturer in a slightly sketchy suburb of Tokyo (Think Bakersfield if you know California). The site removed the listing when they realized the mistake, but I found one picture floating around.

I like that it was a custom build in Japan from a small manufacturer and I like that it's multi-scale, never played a multi-scale bass. I also like that it was around $800 US (79,000 yen to be more precise) but the color is not my taste at all. It was clearly made for someone into hard rock or metal. It also had this weird spot on the back for a wireless pack and was all scratched up.

But I was excited anyway.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2021, 4:34 am 

Looks cool, very Spector / Warwick-like.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2021, 6:55 am 

Yes Get It! The most important thing is playing and sound, if the looks don't grow on you then get it refinished.

I did that once with a Fender Japan bass, it was Olympic White and just looked flat but played and sounded amazing. I had it refinished in Dauphine Blue, new Pick Guard then a classic F style ashtray type Pick Up cover. It still sounded great and now looked really cool.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2021, 4:24 pm 

Have you checked out anything new from Spector or Warwick? Seems like they’re both doing a lot with multi scale basses. Similar looks to this too.

To the original point of your post though, I’d make the case that an instrument you initially find sort of ugly and not your taste may draw your attention more and cause you to pick it and play where you might feel bored or uninspired by the the usual suspects. I know it’s sort of moot since the bass in question already sold, but you never know what might cross your path.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 3:56 am 

Yeah, the more I think about it, "ugly" isn't the right word. It's just not my style. I'm also more bummed now that it was sold out because other than the color it wasn't that bad.

I still have a 5-string bass hole in my heart I'm itching to fill.

Both Spector and Warwick look very nice, but way beyond my budget for something multi scale. I'm okay without that I was just interested in trying it out.

I'm thinking about a Bacchus 517 which I was told I can custom order lefty for around $2000 USD but my original budget was half that and I'm not really looking for something super fancy anyway. I'm also considering an Ibanez for way less but that's also not my style. I'm trying to go to a store that has them in stock, but it's hard to get downtown these days. Oh well, I'll just keep hunting.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2021, 7:02 pm 

skipphead wrote:
Yeah, the more I think about it, "ugly" isn't the right word. It's just not my style. I'm also more bummed now that it was sold out because other than the color it wasn't that bad.

I still have a 5-string bass hole in my heart I'm itching to fill.

Both Spector and Warwick look very nice, but way beyond my budget for something multi scale. I'm okay without that I was just interested in trying it out.

I'm thinking about a Bacchus 517 which I was told I can custom order lefty for around $2000 USD but my original budget was half that and I'm not really looking for something super fancy anyway. I'm also considering an Ibanez for way less but that's also not my style. I'm trying to go to a store that has them in stock, but it's hard to get downtown these days. Oh well, I'll just keep hunting.

Carvin has made great 5-strings over the years, and most of the used models these days are in the $500 to $1000 price range... have you considered them? Also, Ibanez makes a lost of great basses; you shouldn't rule them out...

PostPosted: February 18th, 2021, 7:58 pm 

Oh, and Sire Basses would be worth looking into....