LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently February 29th, 2024, 4:48 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2023, 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 9th, 2008, 7:46 am
Posts: 3848
Location: West Orange, NJ
I’ve been very intrigued by this instrument, a 34 inch scale mini electric upright. I am wondering how easy it would be to do a Lefty conversion, and whether or not there’s anything special to take under consideration. The nut would obviously have to be replaced. However, it looks like the strings can be switched and intonated, since each string seems to have its own saddle with intonation screw and height adjustment. And if the saddles’ grooves are string-specific, it also looks like the saddles/individual bridges can be easily removed and reversed. Side dots are on the bass side, so you’d lose those, but the front markers are so close to the G string side that you probably wouldn’t miss them. And I think I would actually prefer the volume and tell knobs on the opposite side too.

Does anybody on one of these and have you done a lefty conversion? or can you see any reason why I wouldn’t work?

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1317--Doubl ... lsrc=aw.ds


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 24th, 2023, 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2008, 6:14 am
Posts: 3613
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
There's just a bit too much "mwah" in there for me... it would definitely be suited for playing in a jazz scenario, but for old-school blues, it doesn't come close to an upright, woody sound for me... years ago, I bought a Stagg EUB for $500, and it replicates that old blues sound I wanted... it's also a 3/4 scale neck, so on par with actual double basses... it just boils down to what you want to use it for, and the sound you're going after... the videos posted give an indication of its sounds/tones... I will say this though - carrying a 34" neck around is a lot easier than carrying my Stagg, which is 43-45"... and the case I bought for it is more like 5-feet total length...

_________________
R&B Stretch Bass, Walter Woods 1000w Green-Light Stereo Amp, AccuGroove El Whappo and TR112, assorted axes, amps, cabs...
http://www.myspace.com/thestrangershawaii


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 24th, 2023, 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2010, 10:59 am
Posts: 866
Location: Dover, NH
I apologize for the huge goofy photo of me.

I thought the same thing when they first came out, so I got one and did the things you mentioned to it. There's plenty of room at the saddles to intonate, and I simply swapped their position. The position markers on the fretboard make it super simple to play. I love the tone of this bass, and yes, it isn't an upright bass - it's an upright fretless bass, with plenty of mwah. I use it instead of my actual fretless now. If you purchase from Sweetwater, ask for a discounted price. I always get one.

For those whom I am friends with on FB, there's a video of me playing Duran Duran's Rio on it. Until I screw the bassline up. :-)

pete


Attachments:
47681886_10156961321483833_6895114976302727168_n.jpg
47681886_10156961321483833_6895114976302727168_n.jpg [ 300.92 KiB | Viewed 46764 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 25th, 2023, 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 9th, 2008, 7:46 am
Posts: 3848
Location: West Orange, NJ
screambasses wrote:
I apologize for the huge goofy photo of me.

I thought the same thing when they first came out, so I got one and did the things you mentioned to it. There's plenty of room at the saddles to intonate, and I simply swapped their position. The position markers on the fretboard make it super simple to play. I love the tone of this bass, and yes, it isn't an upright bass - it's an upright fretless bass, with plenty of mwah. I use it instead of my actual fretless now. If you purchase from Sweetwater, ask for a discounted price. I always get one.

For those whom I am friends with on FB, there's a video of me playing Duran Duran's Rio on it. Until I screw the bassline up. :-)

pete


Glad to hear it was a simple conversion, Pete. How'd you replace the nut? (Or did you?). I do like the sound of these too, even if they don't replicate an upright exactly. (P.S. don't worry about your appearance. You kind of remind me of Jamiroquai, and he pulled off goofy pretty well, IMO. :lol:). Are there strap buttons in case you wanted to play it horizontally like a typical electric bass?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 25th, 2023, 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 9th, 2008, 7:46 am
Posts: 3848
Location: West Orange, NJ
fivebass52 wrote:
There's just a bit too much "mwah" in there for me... it would definitely be suited for playing in a jazz scenario, but for old-school blues, it doesn't come close to an upright, woody sound for me... years ago, I bought a Stagg EUB for $500, and it replicates that old blues sound I wanted... it's also a 3/4 scale neck, so on par with actual double basses... it just boils down to what you want to use it for, and the sound you're going after... the videos posted give an indication of its sounds/tones... I will say this though - carrying a 34" neck around is a lot easier than carrying my Stagg, which is 43-45"... and the case I bought for it is more like 5-feet total length...


I also own a converted Stagg, which I do like for more of an upright tone (though I don't feel it nails it closely either). I actually have a clip on mic when I use the Stagg and I blend it with the piezo amplified output, and that gets me much closer. I do like the Ibanez for it's own tone and the simpler portability.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 25th, 2023, 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 26th, 2008, 6:14 am
Posts: 3613
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
pjmuck wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:
There's just a bit too much "mwah" in there for me... it would definitely be suited for playing in a jazz scenario, but for old-school blues, it doesn't come close to an upright, woody sound for me... years ago, I bought a Stagg EUB for $500, and it replicates that old blues sound I wanted... it's also a 3/4 scale neck, so on par with actual double basses... it just boils down to what you want to use it for, and the sound you're going after... the videos posted give an indication of its sounds/tones... I will say this though - carrying a 34" neck around is a lot easier than carrying my Stagg, which is 43-45"... and the case I bought for it is more like 5-feet total length...


I also own a converted Stagg, which I do like for more of an upright tone (though I don't feel it nails it closely either). I actually have a clip on mic when I use the Stagg and I blend it with the piezo amplified output, and that gets me much closer. I do like the Ibanez for it's own tone and the simpler portability.


I agree with you, in that the Stagg doesn't quite nail an upright sound, but I have a Walter Woods StereoCoustic, that has two separate inputs, so I'm able to EQ my P-bass in one channel, and the Stagg in the other. After that, it's all in the fingers... I also bought a Stagg bass stand, so I set it up on that, which keeps it ready to play depending on the song I'm playing...

_________________
R&B Stretch Bass, Walter Woods 1000w Green-Light Stereo Amp, AccuGroove El Whappo and TR112, assorted axes, amps, cabs...
http://www.myspace.com/thestrangershawaii


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: July 26th, 2023, 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2010, 10:59 am
Posts: 866
Location: Dover, NH
pjmuck wrote:
screambasses wrote:
I apologize for the huge goofy photo of me.

I thought the same thing when they first came out, so I got one and did the things you mentioned to it. There's plenty of room at the saddles to intonate, and I simply swapped their position. The position markers on the fretboard make it super simple to play. I love the tone of this bass, and yes, it isn't an upright bass - it's an upright fretless bass, with plenty of mwah. I use it instead of my actual fretless now. If you purchase from Sweetwater, ask for a discounted price. I always get one.

For those whom I am friends with on FB, there's a video of me playing Duran Duran's Rio on it. Until I screw the bassline up. :-)

pete


Glad to hear it was a simple conversion, Pete. How'd you replace the nut? (Or did you?). I do like the sound of these too, even if they don't replicate an upright exactly. (P.S. don't worry about your appearance. You kind of remind me of Jamiroquai, and he pulled off goofy pretty well, IMO. :lol:). Are there strap buttons in case you wanted to play it horizontally like a typical electric bass?


I just refiled the nut, and I don't think it would feel right slung over the shoulder. It mounts on an impressive percussion stand, though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2023, 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2010, 10:59 am
Posts: 866
Location: Dover, NH
Gonna be selling several instruments. I'll sell this for $1,000 shipped.

pete


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Ibanez UB804 Upright Lefty conversion?
PostPosted: November 20th, 2023, 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2010, 10:59 am
Posts: 866
Location: Dover, NH
JFYI, this is on Reverb now. $925 shipped.


https://reverb.com/item/75209217-left-h ... -oil-burst


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits