LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:03 am

Post subject: Question for Fender Experts
PostPosted: January 20th, 2023, 4:31 pm 

Thinking of picking one of these up. How is the quality and tone? Any concerns. Thanks!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... MX22092959

Post subject: Re: Question for Fender Experts
PostPosted: January 21st, 2023, 8:50 am 

Basically your MIM Fender P-bass.
A friend has one, nice bass. Pretty hard to mess a P-bass up. I just cannot get it out of my mind, though, that not too long ago, a MIM Fender P-bass was around $449.00. Everything is more expensive now, and it got that way, pretty fast. I really like Sweetwater, nice folks- and they have a good return policy.
Many of my repair clients order instruments online, and bring them to me for evaluation during the return window. Some indeed need to go back. If you do order one- take it to a trusted, experienced Luthier, and check these things.

1. Neck strength.. I do this with every new factory instrument- How strong/ rigid the neck is, is extremely important. The neck, in reality, makes the whole instrument. I hold the body up- flat, not in a playing position, and carefully using a towel underneath the back of the headstock, place just the back of it on a table or desk, and put a bit of pressure on the bass. If there's a decent amount of resistance, you're good. If it seems 'spongy' it's likely going to move around a lot during its lifetime.
2. Adjustability- does the truss rod work correctly?
3. Condition- finish glitches? Fret ends sharp? Is the neck fit snugly in the pocket? Things like that.

Good Luck in your buying!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2023, 10:25 am 

Thanks for your detailed answer - very helpful!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2023, 11:26 am 

What LH said. It's pretty hard to screw up a P bass, though I've encountered a few lemons from fender in my last couple of outings. I demoed a Squier Classic Vibe 60's, A Player MIM P, and MIA Pro a few years ago. I walked away with the Squier. I liked the overall playability and vibe better than the other two, and it's a great modding platform that won't break the bank if you want to swap out PUPs, hardware, etc. at some point. Couldn't justify the cost for the Am Pro (which also had fret sprouting and a brighter, less organic tone), and the MIM also didn't have the greatest fret work. I think there are so many better options out there today for the $ compared to what Fender is charging for their latest Am Pro II models, which are a ridiculous $1800. I'd look into the new Sire P5s.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2023, 12:39 pm 

As a guy that sell these things for a living. I'm actually prone to agree with PJ on this.
The CV 60's P-bass is incredible for the dollar. The current pickups are actually really great alnico 5 classic P, and you don't "HAVE" to upgrade them - but it's also really nice to upgrade them. The only thing I don't dig with the current Classic Vibe stuff is the 400lbs of gloss poly on the neck. That shit is gross.

I have generally found I have to try a few Player series basses of the same make before I find "the one", there's a lot of variation in neck strength and body aging. I would personally suggest hitting up your local shops first and trying a few if you can.

pjmuck wrote:
What LH said. It's pretty hard to screw up a P bass, though I've encountered a few lemons from fender in my last couple of outings. I demoed a Squier Classic Vibe 60's, A Player MIM P, and MIA Pro a few years ago. I walked away with the Squier. I liked the overall playability and vibe better than the other two, and it's a great modding platform that won't break the bank if you want to swap out PUPs, hardware, etc. at some point. Couldn't justify the cost for the Am Pro (which also had fret sprouting and a brighter, less organic tone), and the MIM also didn't have the greatest fret work. I think there are so many better options out there today for the $ compared to what Fender is charging for their latest Am Pro II models, which are a ridiculous $1800. I'd look into the new Sire P5s.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2023, 1:43 pm 

Thank you for all of the good advice!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2023, 10:31 am 

Totally in agreement with all the above advice, well said guys!