LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 4:20 am

Post subject: My trio
PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 5:04 am 

Hi all.

Here's a shot I just took of my LG3000 fretless, the LG3005 I just bought from Slybass3000, and my F Bass BNF5. For an amp I just have a little Phil Jones Flightcase with a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live. I plan on moving up to a Six-Pak sometime soon. Please let me know if anybody has a used one they want to sell.

Cheers and keep it low. :D

Mark

Attachments:
Three Amigos lg.jpg
Three Amigos lg.jpg [ 182.42 KiB | Viewed 10362 times ]
 Post subject: Re: My trio
PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 8:14 am 

I really like the F Bass on the far right. does F Bass make 4 strings or just 5s?

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 11:05 am 

5 strings is standard, 4 will cost you extra ( ! ). 6 is also an option, and possibly more too as they're completely handmade to order.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 3:35 pm 

Nice trio of basses you have there!

Couldn't help but notice the headstocks on the Roscoe's look to be reversed. Is that by design or by accident?

Post subject: Re: My trio and the reversed Roscoe headstocks
PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 5:10 pm 

Good observation on the headstocks AzWhoFan. I believe the headstocks are reversed because the LG3000 is an older bass. No idea what year. My guess is back then (whenever "then" was) they just took a right handed neck and put it on a lefty body. Like so many other builders have done in the past.

Just a theory mind you as I have no proof. :) I suppose I could ask Gard. Hmmmm.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 4:50 am 

Jeroen wrote:
5 strings is standard, 4 will cost you extra ( ! ). 6 is also an option, and possibly more too as they're completely handmade to order.

Thanks for the info Jeroen.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 2:16 pm 

I love the fretboard on the LG3005!

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 11:35 am 

Yea, that F-Bass BNF5... Ummm, it was originally built for me a year plus ago. That was my custom color and specs.... Oh my, the colors came out KILLER. Due to the order being a little off of my specs and returning "twice", I returned it to George F for a refund. This was done from the ass at the store I originally placed the order from. The "store name not mentioned" is an incompetent owner that cant get things right. He will fail and I will sit back and grin. This bass is a good one and it originally had a no line fingerboard. It was killer.

Enjoy that bass Mark. You deserve it. Its a player. ;)

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 12:26 pm 

Hey Gravesbass,

Thanks for the info and comments! :)

I have to say, I really love the neck on the F Basses. This is my second BNF5 and the shape and string spacing and scale length all work for me. I prefer the neck on the F Bass to the LG3005. The Roscoe feels chunkier to me.

Not to mention the sound of the BNF5... killer. I have to have a couple of small tweaks done yet. Waiting 'til I get back from holidays in August then the board and the nut need a little work to dial it in.

Cheers

PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 12:08 pm 

Here is what your F-Bass originally looked like. Enjoy!

Attachments:
IMG_1170 (2).jpg
IMG_1170 (2).jpg [ 126.51 KiB | Viewed 10152 times ]
PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 5:05 pm 

wow :shock: 8-) I still love the look of it

Post subject: BNF5
PostPosted: July 16th, 2009, 8:13 am 

Here's a comment about fret lines and please, anybody else who has had this experience or noticed it please reply. I'd like some feedback.

I had a fretless Carvin 6 string a few years ago and Carvin, for some reason, used synthetic lines rather than maple or some other light wood. The fingerboard was ebony. The problem was that the lines were not perfectly flush with the rest of the board. So, while lines are supposed to help with intonation, in this case they caused problems. I believe that when the bass was built the lines were probably fine, but because an ebony board will shift and change with temp and humidity, plastic lines will not. I figured I would have to change the lines out so got rid of it.

My BNF5 here has maple lines but because maple is much less dense than ebony the lines have expanded very subtly in a few spots on the neck. Not a big deal, I'm going to have the board done. My Roscoe LG3000 has an epoxy Jaco treatment on the board, this seals the board so there are no issues with temp and humidity affecting the lines, it's perfectly smooth. I'm contemplating doing this to the F Bass. Like a Pedulla Buzz Bass.

Post subject: Re: BNF5
PostPosted: July 16th, 2009, 9:56 am 

markcv wrote:
Here's a comment about fret lines and please, anybody else who has had this experience or noticed it please reply. I'd like some feedback.

I had a fretless Carvin 6 string a few years ago and Carvin, for some reason, used synthetic lines rather than maple or some other light wood. The fingerboard was ebony. The problem was that the lines were not perfectly flush with the rest of the board. So, while lines are supposed to help with intonation, in this case they caused problems. I believe that when the bass was built the lines were probably fine, but because an ebony board will shift and change with temp and humidity, plastic lines will not. I figured I would have to change the lines out so got rid of it.

My BNF5 here has maple lines but because maple is much less dense than ebony the lines have expanded very subtly in a few spots on the neck. Not a big deal, I'm going to have the board done. My Roscoe LG3000 has an epoxy Jaco treatment on the board, this seals the board so there are no issues with temp and humidity affecting the lines, it's perfectly smooth. I'm contemplating doing this to the F Bass. Like a Pedulla Buzz Bass.

Are you saying that I'll be getting a better bass than the one you're keeping ;) :mrgreen:

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 16th, 2009, 10:13 am 

Heh, heh... ;) maybe. In one regard anyway.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2009, 3:27 pm 

Mark, contact George. He might still have that original neck... and if so, it willed the lined one you have now. I just thought the original neck was better. The headstock also matched much better than the new neck. All in all, I would give George a call and explain what's going on. Its under warranty so he will fix it for free most likely. You just have to get it to Canada.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 9:35 am 

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I don't have any of these basses anymore... in fact, due to the economic situation of last year I had to sell all 3. :-(

However, we are now gainfully employed and I am anxiously planning my next bass purchase. Any 5 string Roscoes for sale anybody?

Cheers all.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 10:38 am 

That really sucks that you had to unload those basses. I don't have any Roscoe - either for sale or in the stable. You may want to post a thread in the Wanted section tho