LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:43 pm

Post subject: Re: My Bass
PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 1:19 am 

jeffc3 wrote:
What a bummer that the Geddy Lee Jazz isn't made left handed. (Maybe that would just be wrong, since Ged isn't lefty.) My bro said "you could always get one from the custom shop." "Yeah, when I hit the lottery," I replied.

Fender Japan does make a replica of the '75 Jazz Bass that has a lot in common with the Geddy Lee Jazz, lookwise. Only difference lookwise is they don't outfit it with black blocks and binding but with white pearloid blocks and white binding, and the Bad Ass II doesn't come stock. But they share the same USA pickups and all the same woods.

They're not available through the official channels outside Japan, but there are some online stores and eBay stores that offer them in the US and Europe. I bought mine secondhand on eBay in Germany and love it.

A Bad Ass II will be mounted next week, because the current '75 reissue bridge buzzes slightly (the saddles resonate a little). I also placed a chrome cover over the neck pickup (the holes were there already anyway). It really is a great bass.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2009, 9:45 am 

You can't always rely on the Custom Shop making what you want. For instance, I can't get a Jaco fless or Tony Franklin fless made as a lefty.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2009, 2:12 pm 

That's interesting. A friend of mine had the same thing, he really badly wanted Gibson to build him a faithful reissue of a '58 Explorer lefthanded. Gibson's custom shop offered an accurate righty version in their Vintage Original Spec line of guitars. He was willing to pay serious cash for that guitar, but Gibson refused even though they're advertised as being 'custom' and 'completely hand-built'.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 4:54 am 

That's seriously F**ked up :o :x . I've seen so many custom shops that say "custom hand built" and Gibson should honor that to a T. I had a similar problem with them. I tried to order a lefty Thunderbird studio and they told me that they couldn't do that. basically, they ignored my request.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 11:54 am 

Gibson will build you anything you want so long as:
1- you order it through a dealership
2 - you order 25 ( no joke! ) identical instruments i.e. 25 1954 goldtops with P-90's
3 - or you have connections and they'll build you one off's.

Thanks you Henry J. for making my life so easy!!!!

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 7:23 pm 

hey jeroen,
do you have any contact info for the company you went through to get that fender? i want to bug them and see if they can sell me just that neck with the pearl blocks and binding.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2009, 1:23 am 

I got my Fender in a private auction on eBay, not from a company that directly imports them from Japan. I have had contact with some companies prior to buying mine because I thought of getting a new one from Japan though, you could try to contact them.

There's Ken of Guitar Shogun, a Japanese company specialized in exporting MIJ Fenders. Mind you, because they operate from Japan taxes and duties are not yet calculated in the prices on their website: http://www.guitarshogun.com/

Then there's Jo's Music Shop on eBay, also operating from Japan so their prices too do not included taxes and import duties: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Jos-Music-S ... QQ_armrsZ1

I've also had contact with a British company, but I don't think they're of interest to you as they import the guitars and basses to the UK first, where UK taxes and duties are added to the price, before the neck would be shipped to you and USA taxes and duties will be added.
http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 7:01 pm 

do they also sell BC Rich parts as well? I would like to bother them about a lefty BC Rich Warlock body with a 2 Pbass pickup configuration. ;)