LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:23 am

Post subject: Rob Allen Mouse 30
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm 

Some of you may have seen this on TalkBass a few months ago. Well, it's headed my way now!

Post subject: Re: Rob Allen Mouse 30
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 8:23 am 

Very cool! I've been curious about those for quite some time. I've never heard one in person, but they are said to produce a very decent and realistic upright-tone. Let us know how you like it as soon as you've got it! :)

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 11:41 am 

I saw this one on the 'bay as well, but when I went back to check on it it was gone. Now I know why. :lol: I didn't realize it had a BIN on it.

Yes, let us know how she plays/sounds.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 9:41 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
I saw this one on the 'bay as well, but when I went back to check on it it was gone. Now I know why. :lol: I didn't realize it had a BIN on it.

Yes, let us know how she plays/sounds.

There's some history here ... I nearly bought it from the ebay seller a few months ago when it was on TB, but declined because I have a standing policy of not buying instruments from Dec 10th to Jan 7th ( Xmas shipping horror stories ), and am still leery of buying basses in the winter if they are getting shipped from a cold climate to Arizona. Since the Mouse 30 is a delicate'ish instument ( it ain't no Modulus ), I'd hate to have something like that arrive with a cracked top ( I should tell you guys the story of the lefty '57 Les Paul I had to turn down 'cause the body was badly cracked ).

When it came available on the 'bay, I dropped him a note and he agreed to put the BIN on it for me since we were so close to getting the deal done in Dec.

And I am really grateful he agreed to that!

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2009, 9:43 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
Very cool! I've been curious about those for quite some time. I've never heard one in person, but they are said to produce a very decent and realistic upright-tone. Let us know how you like it as soon as you've got it! :)

Thanks! I'll be sure to do that.

There are a few clips on You Tube that show off the Mouse 30 tone. Not a lot, but the ones I remember were good, tone-wise and performance wise.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 10:23 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
pjmuck wrote:
When it came available on the 'bay, I dropped him a note and he agreed to put the BIN on it for me since we were so close to getting the deal done in Dec.

Sneaky, sneaky. ;)

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 3:38 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Sneaky, sneaky. ;)

:arrow: :!: A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I am now being coerced into buying my wife a pair of diamond earrings ...

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 4:42 pm 

Hey AzWhoFan... Did it arrive? And...???? :shock:

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 9:02 am 

Sorry, would have posted sooner, but I've been horribly under the weather for a week now.

Got it Friday, and it's everything it's cracked up to be. Tons of mwaaah. Especially if you hit it just right in the sweet spot, the mwhaaah just blooms effortlessly like a spring rose.
Took about 2 minutes to get used to the short scale.
The construction is top-notch as you'd expect.
And it's a very high output pickup. Got my LMII pre set at 11 o'clock and the master just barely turned on, and it still fills the office.
I'll eventually get some basic sound clips up somewhere. I can't really use Youtube. I don't have a digicam because I'm too busy being broke from buying basses LOL.

Marc

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 1:07 pm 

Man, I hear ya on the "under the weather". I had to fly out to Texas and play a gig last weekend. I felt like crap! Seems to be going around..... If I might ask, what was the damage of the RA Mouse 30 used? I just am curious what something like this might go for on the used market. Of course you can keep it private, no pressure here... They are top notch instruments and Rob Allen is a great luthier. Glad she's a keeper. Please ping me back when you get tired of it. ;)

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 1:22 pm 

For a sound reference.... Great basses.. Good Catch! Pretty much anything played thru a LM II is gonna sound grand. That amp exhibits the true tone of what the instrument can do. I would get Rob to make you a thumb rest that continues up the body. They are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtf6wYunToA

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 2:04 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Man, I hear ya on the "under the weather". I had to fly out to Texas and play a gig last weekend. I felt like crap! Seems to be going around..... If I might ask, what was the damage of the RA Mouse 30 used? I just am curious what something like this might go for on the used market. Of course you can keep it private, no pressure here... They are top notch instruments and Rob Allen is a great luthier. Glad she's a keeper. Please ping me back when you get tired of it. ;)

Nothing sucks worse than having to fly when you're ill, you have my sympathies.

As for the $$$ ... I'll let you - or whomever - hunt around on eBay for the auction. You never know, I may someday want to sell it for more than I paid for it LOL ... and folks'es memories are notoriously short ... I called Rob and he told me a similar new bass would cost appx $3K, but that he's no longer working with spalted maple. Hard to say what used Mouse 30's go for in general as I've seen so few of them. But I suspect you'd be in the $1500 to $2200 range, depending on which options are on the bass and the shape it's in.

And I wish it was just a cold. I got slammed with divurticulitis (sp) which presented itself over my appendix. Had 3 doctors convinced I needed immediate surgury. Thankfully I avoided all contact with a scalpel.

Last edited by AzWhoFan on April 1st, 2009, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 2:08 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
For a sound reference.... Great basses.. Good Catch! Pretty much anything played thru a LM II is gonna sound grand. That amp exhibits the true tone of what the instrument can do. I would get Rob to make you a thumb rest that continues up the body. They are great.

Cool video, hadn't seen that one yet. Sounds just like mine!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 4:01 pm 

Hey AzWhoFan... Get well fast man. That's bad.... The knife is a bad thing.... Avoid! Cheers

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 9:31 am 

gravesbass wrote:
Hey AzWhoFan... Get well fast man. That's bad.... The knife is a bad thing.... Avoid! Cheers

As Mr. Spock used to say to Dr. McCoy: "The 20th Century will be regarded as a barbaric time in medicine. Doctors had to cut you open to heal you."

I'm over the hump now ... thanks!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 10:32 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
gravesbass wrote:

What a killer fretless tone!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 11:49 am 

pjmuck wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:
gravesbass wrote:

What a killer fretless tone!

Yes indeed!!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 1:20 pm 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

Congrats on the Mouse! You'll never hear anyone bitch about the weight of a Mouse, I love mine.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 8:19 pm 

Psycho Ward wrote:
Congrats on the Mouse! You'll never hear anyone bitch about the weight of a Mouse, I love mine.

Thanks. Finally got to use it at rehearsal this week. It fit the bill quite nicely for most of our tunes, but didn't quite cut the mustard on our version of Tush ( as I half expected ). I had to set everything flat EQ wise on my LMII to get a good tone. Also had to turn the master vol WAY down. After 3 hours of rehearsal it felt like I hadn't even strapped on a bass.