LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:41 am

Post subject: My ibanez atk/pgb1 collection
PostPosted: July 14th, 2012, 10:16 pm 

grammer-wise, my descriptions may vary and at the best of my knowledge,.. so here goes nothing.
The orange pgb1l (still questioning its origin) as you can see my custom pgb1 has a brighter orange than that of my atk300. more switch features (5) due to its jass pickup, and I gotta say this bass has much more of a standout sound compared to the other 2 i own..
when you go on with the slap/pop/pick/hammer tricks, the ashwood line between the neck also gives it more dept than the atk300 but not as much as the black pgb1 i obtained, still my favorite and moslty used of the 3.

The original atk300l i still use for more of a wild rock/fask attack style... with its super thin rotosound strings (for better hearing when practicing acoustic @home) and the overdrive effects i play with off my ampeg b5r head it holds its purpose when i need it for those particular song i create to give my guitarist a better idea where im going with the rythm.

The Black pgb1l has the simular body to the atk 300l (vs the orange pgb1 that doesnt hold those simular smooth round edges as the other 2 basses ,which makes it a bit more heavy).
This body is well coated in an interesting pearl black gloss when exposed to most lightbulds (esp at a show) its got this awesome green or purple effect glisening off the bass (pending on the light) and you can see the ashwood patterns thru it much better.
The slipknot logo preferably rather not have it but i just dont care anymore. Weather or not theyre there it nolonger concern me and as for the 2 it deserves to be there, otherwise this bass wouldnt have exisited if it wernt for him ( RIP lefty legend Paul Grey). In any case, it's not something easy to pinpont out on stage ( unless your a bassist familure with the model but not yet with the sound... Heavy.. but not too heavy.
this is is why its now my featured bass for my heavyer rock/metal sound I switch to during songs due to a much deeper tone.
I gotta say when it comes to finger attacking... this one does a way better job than the struggles i had with my warwick double $$ buck Corvette, Its a lot less muddier sound to it, its much lighter, and the smoothest neck ive ever felt/ride and much more affordable new or used.... if i was more into using a pick i would have kept my warwick (because to me, it seemed thats what it needs in order to stand out in sound not just looks), hence forth why im now obsessed with the atk models.

Post subject: Re: My ibanez atk/pgb1 collection
PostPosted: July 15th, 2012, 4:44 am 

Are you selling this one? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... :1123#shId

Or is it just a strange coincidence that all these rare ATK Lefties suddenly appear on the radar! :shock:

PostPosted: July 15th, 2012, 10:05 am 

This guys from Ak Im in OR, futher comments in SpS.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 2:35 am 

log wrote:
This guys from Ak Im in OR, futher comments in SpS.

Thanks for clarifying.... would like to hear the history behind how you acquired your ATK's....

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 3:20 am 

I remember drooling over the orange PGB on eBay. Intriguing bass, and very very cool :)
I like your ATK300 too. It's odd that finish was never offered here in Europe. We only got trans black MIJ ATK's. I love the transparent black, but that trans orange is beautiful!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 1:44 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
I remember drooling over the orange PGB on eBay. Intriguing bass, and very very cool :)
I like your ATK300 too. It's odd that finish was never offered here in Europe. We only got trans black MIJ ATK's. I love the transparent black, but that trans orange is beautiful!

I was sorely tempted to bid on that too, but because I usually play five-string basses, the Orange PGB would not be played much, and it seemed a shame to not let it get into the hands of someone (like log) who would use it regularly... now that I see more pics of it, I'm regretting my decision - I would have played that a lot, trading back-and-forth with my 305L! :? :shock: ;)

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 3:23 pm 

I'm not at all a Slipknot fan, so I would be very hesitative to get a PGB with those very prominent fingerboard decorations. But I have been pondering over getting another ATK300 and having a J-style pickup installed in the neck position like on that USA Custom Shop PGB, I would love the added versatility and I've always found that a very intriguing pickup layout. I used to have a second ATK300 but never got myself to actually do it and sold the bass...

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 10:38 pm 

I obtained the atk300 in december of 2010 on ebay, been keeping an eye out for the past 2 years and was so thrilled to finnaly own one, i stumbled upon the orange pgb almost a yr later because i was taking an interest in getting the black model as a change-up and a trade off from my warwick double $$ buck i sold , instead i see this and im thinking wow is this bass really legit? (which im sure why anyone would hesitate) the j-style pickup i knew would be a fun addition to an already awesome model, cant ever imagine having an opportunity for another one to show up like this, so i took the risk and paid off big-time.Image

if you manage to custom this pickup on an atk model and include a switch feature , expect the sound to get brighter as you direct if more forward to the J settings and expect the slap pop,pick's stand out much better. could you imagine adding a j pickup to the black pgb1 model? the ashwood body would possibly give it somewhat of a warwick thumbbolt sound to it imo the sounds would be one of a kind ... someday ide consider the risk if i found the right man to work on it, and possibly do something about the fingerboard decorations on the neck as well.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 12:53 am 

Would adding a J pickup to your PGB add so much to the wide palette of tones you already get from your orange PGB and the ATK300? All three of them are made of ash, the only real difference I can think of is the rosewood fingerboard on the black PGB. So it might sound slightly more dense and warmer, but I don't see it come close to a Warwick Thumb-like tone. Don't forget that a major component to the Thumb's tone is that it doesn't so much have a neck pickup, but more like two bridge pickups.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2012, 3:53 am 

(slap), yea i meant the rosewood not ashwood and scratch the thumbbolt guitar in general, (i still need to pick up one to get the idea) , but i was mainly refering to the pickups on the thumbbolt (my bad), for some reason i though they were simular to that of the the atk 1200, but in any case, you can see ibanez has taken an interest in merging up another style of pickups next to the d-humbucker pickups then slapping the name prestige to it and from what i can tell yea, it works.
ill try to explain why in theory it would brings a brighter/wider sound to my orange pgb1 and possibly that of the atk300.
Now what the atk pickup is customise to do (but dont take my word on it, just a hunch), is eliminate the (peck peck) sounds you would make from "attacking" the strings with your fingers, but in order to do that, it makes the pickup alot less sensitive to tone therefore sacrificing a wider tone , as to that of my warwick $$ buck, i had to attack the strings on the lower end because they were not customed to finger contact .
So having this pickup next door while the humbucker takes the beating and it works to my advantage (it's like adding a sonic maximizer to a peavy 5150, you just can tell the difference), plus sounds stands out much better when i go into slap/pop/pick rythm, the j-pickup doesnt get in the way like the humbucker would .
However in overdrive effect, it's not so welcoming, so i would keep the switch feature more direct toward the atk pickup if im in that mode.
just my style of play and the reason why its my prime, it's because this bass has more of a standout in sound vs the other 2 so hell yea, i would consider additions to the other 2, possibly a different pick-up of there own in time, but probably study further on different pickups 1st because your right about it making the black pgb1 more dense and warm, (and for me it's thats now a bad thing but to make any changes to your bass, you have a right to question and be careful on that decision) .
, idk if it would work for you, but if you own an atk already, and love it, im sure you wont be dissapointed.

Jeroen wrote:
Would adding a J pickup to your PGB add so much to the wide palette of tones you already get from your orange PGB and the ATK300? All three of them are made of ash, the only real difference I can think of is the rosewood fingerboard on the black PGB. So it might sound slightly more dense and warmer, but I don't see it come close to a Warwick Thumb-like tone. Don't forget that a major component to the Thumb's tone is that it doesn't so much have a neck pickup, but more like two bridge pickups.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2012, 4:40 am 

Yes, I have an MIJ ATK300 and an MIJ ATK305. I thought of getting another ATK300 again and adding a neck pickup. But then I got this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3557

It's just about the ultimate in versatility I could ask for. It has that Music Man-vibe going on (it comes closer than the ATK). The humbucker is also closer to the bridge than on the ATK, so there's more room inbetween the humbucker and the singlecoil. I feel the range of tones from adding a singlecoil to an ATK300 would be narrower than on this bass. For this same reason, all factory two-pickup ATK's had a more compact bridge with the humbucker closer to the bridge (with the exception of the ATK750 that was sold in the USA in 2008/2009, which, as a compromise, has the singlecoil positioned closer to the neck than the traditional Jazz Bass position (6.75 inches instead of 6.00).

So for now I'm leaving all ATK's unharmed :)

PostPosted: August 6th, 2012, 10:18 pm 

I could see why, damn.
where did you make that purchase?

Jeroen wrote:
Yes, I have an MIJ ATK300 and an MIJ ATK305. I thought of getting another ATK300 again and adding a neck pickup. But then I got this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3557

It's just about the ultimate in versatility I could ask for. It has that Music Man-vibe going on (it comes closer than the ATK). The humbucker is also closer to the bridge than on the ATK, so there's more room inbetween the humbucker and the singlecoil. I feel the range of tones from adding a singlecoil to an ATK300 would be narrower than on this bass. For this same reason, all factory two-pickup ATK's had a more compact bridge with the humbucker closer to the bridge (with the exception of the ATK750 that was sold in the USA in 2008/2009, which, as a compromise, has the singlecoil positioned closer to the neck than the traditional Jazz Bass position (6.75 inches instead of 6.00).

So for now I'm leaving all ATK's unharmed :)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 12:52 pm 

Someone offered it for sale used on a British bass guitar forum, http://www.basschat.co.uk. The price was right, so I went for it. It's an amazing bass for the price I paid, I love it :-)