LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:26 pm

Post subject: My Lefty Ernie Ball Music Man Stable!
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 8:29 pm 

Hi all. Thought I would post a pic or two of my lefty collection. As you can see I have a bit of an obsession for Ernie Ball bases. These bases just do it for me. Never played another brand that felt more like home. I love the simplicity and growly, aggressive tone of the single pickup configuration have no desire for a two pickup model. Here's a quick rundown in the order that they were acquired:

1. 2006 Transparent Orange Stingray 5. My first, bought new and will likely always be my number one go to bass. his one has the ceramic pickup and is very bright and aggressive.

2. 2007 Black Cherry Burst Stingray 4. This was the token lefty bass and had been beat on pretty good despite being "new". I bought her after some wheeling and dealing for a discount and later discovered that the strings were not properly aligned with the neck. It was returned to Ernie Ball, and they determined the cnc machine had drilled the neck hole slightly off on the body. The body was replaced under warranty and the bass was returned to me looking pristine and has been a joy to play ever since. Great customer service!

3. 2009 True Gold Bongo 5. I ordered this one and managed to get my order in just days before the color was discontinued. True Gold was only available for one year! She has taken me awhile to warm up to her but the playability of this bass is second to none. I am appreciating the Bongo more as time goes on.

4. 2010 Sterling Silver Stingray 5. I bought this from a fellow Leftybassist member and could not be happier. This one has the alnico pickup and is much darker in tone then the orange SR5. Nice contrast and I always get compliments playing this bass.

5. Black and Maple 2009 Stingray 4. I traded my 2008 USA jazz bass for this bass and have never regretted it for a second. This bass is just perfect in every way. Simple, lightning fast, aggressive and alive sounding with tons of personality. I play the crap out of this one!

6. 2003 Natural Fretless Stingray 4. I took a chance and bought this sight unseen from a store in Seattle. It arrived with a serious need for a fretboard dressing but after having her sanded and set up, she is a great bass. My only gripe was I had hoped for a little more "mwah" but this bass excels and sounding punchy and aggressive and sits very well in a band mix. by band mates love it.

7. 2009 Transparent Red Fretless Sterling 4. I traded my USA P-bass for this one as I just never played the P-bass and this was a chance to own another Ernie Ball bass!I was never interested in the Sterlings as they are a little smaller then the Stingrays and just didn't seem as "manly" to me! haha. Boy was I missing out. This bass is a growly, snarling, "mwah" machine that plays so effortlessly its hard to put it down. Totally different sound then my fretless Ray. Less lows and highs but way more mids. I guess the ceramic pickup helps in this regard.

Quite a collection for a hack like me but they sure are fun!

Post subject: Re: My Lefty Ernie Ball Music Man Stable!
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 10:05 pm 

O Brother, can you spare a MusicMan? :mrgreen:

Darn nice colletion, you got there! What's all in the backline?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 10:11 pm 

Awesome collection, crabby. You and Psycho Ward should have a lot to talk about. Love the silver finish on that Stingray 5.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 2:57 am 

Great collection crabby! Are you hiding any other brands in the closet, or are you strictly an MM Man? Great rigs too!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 5:43 am 

Damn Crabby! That's a stunning collection of MM's. I have exactly the same transparent orange SR5. I mean EXACTLY. Same pickguard colour, rosewood fretboard. There's a pic of mine in my collection here: http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3147

It always freaks me out that there could be two or more left handed guys that order the same exact combination of options on a custom order. Nicely done! I guess great minds think alike. :lol:

I've always said that if I had to only own one bass it would be a Musicman. Super versatile. Fit into almost any situation. That's the practical side of me. Unfortunately, the less practical side of me has a penchant for the more wacky stuff. Drives my wife crazy....

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Everyone note the Mesa M9 in Crabby's pic too. That amp KILLS with Musicman basses.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 8:29 pm 

crabby wrote:
I was never interested in the Sterlings as they are a little smaller then the Stingrays and just didn't seem as "manly" to me! haha.

I must be a girly man because what interests my about the Sterlings is the smaller size! :)

I switched over to bass after playing the guitar for many years and I simply prefer smaller (in terms of width) necks. Really love my G&L P-bass, but I can't warm up to the neck. My Rickenbacker instead feels perfect.

Whenever I see a Music Man for sale, it never is a Sterling. One day I will try one out.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 9:49 pm 

love that orange one(first one on the left) 8-)

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 12:04 am 

Thanks guys. I am pretty lucky to have been finally able to buy my dream basses after many years of pining for a Stingray. The orange one really is special and hard to believe its not the only one around!

I have become a die hard Mesa fan after going through a ton of gear. The Carbine is just an amazing amp as Andrew has said and the Walkabout is second to none for warm fat tone that can still be modern. The Schroeder cab and GK head in the photos sounded very dry and sterile in comparison. Recently sold that rig despite it being so light and portable. I managed to find a Walkabout head in the matching head case and a pair of Powerhouse 112 cabs that make for a really impressive portable modular rig. So I have come down to Ernie Ball basses and Mesa bas amps exclusively which is funny as I always liked to have some variety in my gear.

I do have a MIM Jazz that had been customized. It's my only other bass and doesn't see much action. It's actually very cool with Model J pups, a Badass bridge, custom torte pick guard and has been professionally de fretted. I spent way too much on it but it was a fun process.

It's good to be a gear whoore! :)