LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 10:11 pm

Post subject: My lefty USA Lakland Joe Osborn 5-string...
PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 7:20 am 

I'm seriously toying with the idea of selling this beauty, so I took some pics this weekend... I thought they came out quite well, so check 'em out!

Here are the specs...

This bass was loosely modeled after Joe LaBracio's 1960 Fender Jazz that sold on eBay a few years ago for $29,000, shown here:

It has a Swamp Ash body and a translucent aged blonde (butterscotch) finish... you can see the wood grain of the swamp ash through the finish. It also has a BEAUTIFULLY striped rosewood slab board with birdseye dots. Right now it's set up as stack-knob with Lindy Fralin custom pickups, but I do have a J-Retro preamp for it as well.

Both live and on tape, this thing sounds absolutely ridiculous... but it especially shines live. The way the wood combo in this bass is tuned just makes it sit PERFECTLY in the mix... I don't have to tweak anything. I've been going back and forth for the last year about selling it... I have a couple of other things in mind that I can't shake, and I would use this to finance one of them.

But... it's such a great bass, I've been having trouble pulling the trigger.

Anyway... hope you enjoyed the pics!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: My lefty USA Lakland Joe Osborn 5-string...
PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 9:51 am 

That is a beautiful instrument.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 3:45 pm 

Indeed, beautiful bass - your pictures capture it very well!

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 3:49 pm 

Imo from the way you describe it, if you end up selling this beauty youre gonna end up regretting it.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 9:15 pm 

Outstanding Bass!

Now have to ask, what may be a stupid question but, you say
Quote:
This bass was loosely modeled after Joe LaBracio's 1960 Fender Jazz that sold on eBay a few years ago for $29,000

Isn't the Lakland Joe Osborn simply modeled after... Joe Osborn's 1960 Jazz Bass? (I understand, they are both 1960 Jazz Basses) :?

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 7:28 am 

Gents,

If you need any extra reasons to snag this, here's some lefty love for the Joe Osborn at the Lakland Website:

http://www.lakland.com/review_southpaws_revenge.htm

Now I need to get rich quick... :lol: . Addison has a fantastic looking bass here..

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 8:28 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Isn't the Lakland Joe Osborn simply modeled after... Joe Osborn's 1960 Jazz Bass? (I understand, they are both 1960 Jazz Basses) :?

I was only talking aesthetics... I had it built to resemble Joe LaBracio's bass in looks only. Joe Osborn's bass is sunburst... and my bass obviously isn't.

Besides... other than the "stack-knob" electronics, the the 5-string Lakland "Joe Osborn" is pretty much a Lakland designed bass through-and-through anyway.

3+2 headstock, 35" scale, same neck as the 55-94, lower bottom horn, deeper cutaway... it's really all Lakland, and has little or nothing to do with Joe Osborn's 1960 Jazz at all.

Now, the Lakland Joe Osborn signature 4-string was supposedly designed using exact measurements from Osborn's actual bass... however, that would be impossible to do on the 5-string.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 12:23 pm 

OK, I Get it!

Hey, what do you think of strings-thru-body versus strings-thru-bridge? Personnally, I still can't decide. I love the depth and the sustain of a my Jazz Bass strung through the body but the sound becomes more legato with less attack and some harsh high frequencies. I keep going back and forth.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2010, 7:30 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Hey, what do you think of strings-thru-body versus strings-thru-bridge? Personnally, I still can't decide. I love the depth and the sustain of a my Jazz Bass strung through the body but the sound becomes more legato with less attack and some harsh high frequencies. I keep going back and forth.

Honestly, I haven't been able to tell the difference... and it could be because I have only used two different types of strings when going through the body or through the bridge. I use the GHS "Lakland Sets" when going through the body, and DR's when going through the bridge... it just depends on what's available to me at the time.

Both ways sound fantastic to my ears... and the only differences I've noticed were due to the differences in the strings themselves.

On my Mike Lull, there's an option to go through the body on ONLY the low B string... and, again... I've had it strung up both ways, and haven't been able to tell a difference there either. In feel or sound.

So... for me, the jury is still out. Maybe my ears have been dulled from too many years of playing live rock music or something... or maybe there's simply not much of a difference on my particular basses... but, I honestly cannot tell a difference either way.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2010, 7:59 pm 

On my 1999 American Deluxe Jazz Bass, I was able to hear a noticeable difference but it is probably because the bridge on those were pretty bad (much improved since 2008). I eventually upgraded with a Badass III but strung through the bridge.
I guess with a good bridge you can't hear the difference.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2010, 9:09 am 

I have had many string thru basses and cant really honestly hear a difference except running the B string thru body vs' bridge. It seems to make a little difference. The other thing I do not like about the string thru body vs' straight bridge alignment is the tension. String tension is tighter running thru body. I hate that!