LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:15 pm

Post subject: The current Brood
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 5:12 am 

Thought folks might want to take a look at the current crop of LBM392 basses:

Back Row (L/R):- Sei Original Headless 5 (weapon of choice for most situations); Warwick Thumb 5 BO (Classic sound but finding it hard to see a use for it); Roscoe 3000 fretless (courtesy of Markcv - some use in Fusion project); Shuker Headless 5 (mostly as a backup for the Sei and for teaching with).

Front Row (L/R):- Regenerate Heritage Tribute '55 (looking to start using this as soon as I get a component upgrade from Rodent); Fender '77 Jazz (all original apart from bridge cover - fabulous sound but a little on the heavy side); Fender MIJ Jazz (courtesy of Chris Addison - a lovely instrument, looking for an excuse to start using it!); Regenerate Axiom 4 (first of Rod's instruments into the UK I believe, and another beauty)

Across the middle:- Fender MIM Jazz - numerous mods, but still looking to sell it sometime soon as I don't use it these days.

Apologies for the picture quality (which sucks!) - if people want I can post some individual shots (which will be better quality). Nevertheless...

Enjoy!

Attachment:
basses.jpg
basses.jpg [ 207.26 KiB | Viewed 7476 times ]

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

Post subject: Re: The current Brood
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 5:40 am 

Awesome collection. Now get yourself a $200 Rogue Violin bass and you'll have all your basses covered. ;)

PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 7:11 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Awesome collection. Now get yourself a $200 Rogue Violin bass and you'll have all your basses covered. ;)

:lol: I was thinking of getting a Vintage P-bass (as in the company, not the age - don't know if you have them over there). I have a right hooker that I use as a loaner... quite possibly the worst bass guitar neck I've seen in my entire life. :shock:

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 8:15 am 

OOooohhhhh... I get so excited when I see one of my babies getting some love across the pond!!

:mrgreen:

Awesome collection man!!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 11:25 am 

leftybassman392 wrote:
Front Row (L/R):-Fender '77 Jazz (all original apart from bridge cover - fabulous sound but a little on the heavy side)

If you ever decide to sell the 77 Jazz, don't hesitate to ping me. :P

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 11:58 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
leftybassman392 wrote:
Front Row (L/R):-Fender '77 Jazz (all original apart from bridge cover - fabulous sound but a little on the heavy side)

If you ever decide to sell the 77 Jazz, don't hesitate to ping me. :P

Will do ;) Could be a while though...

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 4:44 am 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

Excellent!

PostPosted: May 28th, 2010, 8:11 pm 

Very nice!

Didn't you have a JayDee? I think that is the one in your avatar isn't it?
Why did you get rid of it (if you owned that one)

I've always lusted for a Supernatural, that's why I'm curious.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 5:15 am 

Basshappi wrote:
Very nice!

Didn't you have a JayDee? I think that is the one in your avatar isn't it?
Why did you get rid of it (if you owned that one)

I've always lusted for a Supernatural, that's why I'm curious.

I did indeed have that Supernatural. It was a lovely instrument but I hadn't used it for some time so I traded it for the Thumb you see in the photo. At the time it was a good trade as I'd wanted a Thumb for a while. The Thumb is a terrific instrument with that distinctive bottom end growl - great tone! Problem is that I haven't got on well with the weight balance (neck like a baseball bat) so I don't really use it. No offence to the guy I traded with (Deezbar - who is a member of this forum as well and a great guy), but if I had the offer again knowing what I know now I may think twice.

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 12:27 pm 

leftybassman392 wrote:
I did indeed have that Supernatural. It was a lovely instrument but I hadn't used it for some time so I traded it for the Thumb you see in the photo. At the time it was a good trade as I'd wanted a Thumb for a while. The Thumb is a terrific instrument with that distinctive bottom end growl - great tone! Problem is that I haven't got on well with the weight balance (neck like a baseball bat) so I don't really use it. No offence to the guy I traded with (Deezbar - who is a member of this forum as well and a great guy), but if I had the offer again knowing what I know now I may think twice.

Did you get a Thumb BO or NT for the Jaydee? I had a BO that I traded away for a Warr guitar because I couldn't get used to the neck either. I ended up getting an NT and it's much more manageable, IMO, even though the neck profile technically is supposed to be the same. It's definitely not, as it tapers/narrows as you get closer to the heel, whereas the BO didn't. Much more manageable.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
leftybassman392 wrote:

Did you get a Thumb BO or NT for the Jaydee? I had a BO that I traded away for a Warr guitar because I couldn't get used to the neck either. I ended up getting an NT and it's much more manageable, IMO, even though the neck profile technically is supposed to be the same. It's definitely not, as it tapers/narrows as you get closer to the heel, whereas the BO didn't. Much more manageable.

It's a BO - not sure I could have got a straight swap for the Jaydee with a NT (prices of Jaydees are not the stablest around) so I reckoned a swap for the BO based around a value of around £750 - £850 (around $1200 - $1300) was about right. Interesting to hear your take on it. I'd still like to have a Thumb in the collection 'cos nothing else quite sounds the same. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for a NT!

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 5:14 am 

pjmuck wrote:

This is also largely subject to the period the bass was built in, and the wood used. Older Warwicks (both BO and NT) had wenge necks but at some point they changed to ovangkol which is less rigid and dense, so to correct this they made the necks slightly thicker. In 2008 or 2009 they went back to the old neck shape though.
An old Thumb BO with wenge neck will be a lot more comfortable to play than an ovangkol neck version built prior to 2009.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 9:08 am 

Mine is a '98 and the neck is Wenge. I've just discovered that it's also warped!!

I did a setup when I first got it and remember not being completely happy with it then. At the time I just passed it off as just a characteristic of the Warwick neck profile. As I said in the OP I haven't used it for some time, and on closer inspection it's definitely worse now than it was when I last used it. (Truth to tell I think I was a little concerned at the time, but I convinced myself it was ok. Apparently not!)

I've contacted Warwick and am waiting for a reply, and after the weekend I will contact my local Warwick agent for their advice, but in the meantime if any of you guys can offer any useful hints/info I'd be grateful.

Thankfully it's not a complete calamity as it's not an instrument I use regularly, but I have a horrible feeling of impending expense!

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps