LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:59 am

Post subject: My two new additions
PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 6:04 pm 

Just bought a Takamine AE Bass. It's pretty cool, with all the common AEB complaints regarding feedback, pickups, etc. But I just bought it for laying around and practicing tunes; I'm not really planning to gig with it but we'll see.

I also just bought my second BSX EUB. My old one was a solid body allegro, that I sold a few years ago, and I missed it so much I had to have another. This is the hollow body version and I absolutely love it. I'm sure you've heard how great Dino at BSX is to work with, and his basses have really come along way (although they were always pretty darn good).

Attachments:
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg [ 235.81 KiB | Viewed 6103 times ]
Image00004.jpg
Image00004.jpg [ 246.83 KiB | Viewed 6102 times ]
 Post subject: Re: My two new additions
PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 6:29 pm 

Hey what's the scoop on that EUB? Where did you get it and what do they cost? Is it radiused like an acoustic DB for playing arco, etc? That thing is cool :geek:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 8:13 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
Hey what's the scoop on that EUB? Where did you get it and what do they cost? Is it radiused like an acoustic DB for playing arco, etc? That thing is cool :geek:

MF carries righty's and looks like they range from 1800 to 2500 or so.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=BSX+Bass&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 8:19 pm 

What do you think of that ABG? I have one myself but it's the only ABG I've played.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 6:40 am 

The scoop on the EUB: This thing is straight up awesome. I used to have a solid body version, which sounded about 70% acoustic upright and 30% fretless bass guitar, which was the best I had found of all the EUBs I tried. I wasn't quite happy with this ratio though, so I just spent the money on a full double bass. But after lugging that thing around for a while, I decided that maybe the hollow body BSX Allegro would get me closer than 70/30, while simultaneously saving myself from another hernia operation. I was correct: this thing is capable of 90% of the sound you can get with a full acoustic upright. Sounds great, looks great, and Dino at BSX DOES NOT UPCHARGE FOR LEFTIES!!!! He is professional, detailed, and cares about his legacy, so he stops at nothing to make sure he is making great basses and that his customers are happy. He is constantly tweaking his design to make improvements as well. This bass is much better than the old one I had, and I loved that one! If you want a lefty, contact Dino directly through the BSX bass website at http://bsxbass.com/.

The scoop on the Takamine AEB: I love the sound unplugged, and I love the feel of the bass. I haven't quite mastered the art of using this thing amplified though. Of course I haven't tried too much- it is mainly my 'around the house' practice bass. But on the few occasions I've plugged it in since I bought it, I definitely would give the sound a 6.5 to 7 out of 10. This score is impacted by feedback problems which are pretty common on these. I bought a feedback stopper/sound hole cover but haven't plugged it in since I bought it, so I don't know if that will help or not.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 7:21 am 

This was the only sound clip I could find of the BSX Allegro, but man what a sound! :o
(It also helps to have a guy like Bromberg demoing it too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC2ryaKMWfQ

These and the Eminence portable uprights (which are more expensive than the BSX line) are the only compact EUBs I've heard that have a realistic acoustic tone, as most others I've heard have more of a fretless electric bass sound. I've been curious about Kydd as well.

Are the BSX basses strictly to be plugged in, or do they put out a decent sound unplugged too?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 9:31 am 

It definitely has an acoustic sound that is okay for practice but doesn't resonate enough for a gig. With the folks I play with, I"m not sure my acoustic upright is loud enough for a gig! The BSX is really made more to plug in.

By the way, I posted a Craigslist link to a lefty Eminence EUB in Austin, TX in the "Southpaw Spotted" section. You could probably get it for around $2k, which would be a good deal. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys how rare lefty uprights are, especially a good EUB.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2010, 8:48 am 

Congrats on the new basses!
The EUB is a real looker for sure.Glad to hear they are serving you well.
You might try using a soundhole cover on the Takamine to help reduce feedback.

Cheers!