LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 11:33 pm

Post subject: WYN WSB-5
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 9:51 pm 

This little fellar will be arriving in the next few days. I am truly stoked! Mr. Wyn's craftsmanship is truly outstanding. Take a minute to read his bio, it is quite interesting. Note the lefty bass on his homepage, where he blends multiple woods on the top. That sweet little thing went to Jimmy Haslip who had it named after his daughter.

http://www.wynguitars.com/index.php

Post subject: A few more pics
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 10:03 pm 

Matching headstock cut from the same block as the body.

rosewood knobbies.

the copper shielded cavity:

Here's the specs on the build:
The top wood is AAAAA Quilted Maple. A layer of Padouk, a middle body layer of Sapele, another layer of Padouk, and the back is also AAAAA Quilted Maple. The neck has a tapered core of Wenge with Padouk thin stripes and an outer
neck edge of Bubinga. The headstock is actually eleven laminations across of Wenge, Padouk and Bubinga.

Head stock cap is matching AAAAA Quilt Maple with the Wyn logo laser cut into the head stock in Padouk. The fret board is Wenge, the frets are medium width. The pickups are Nordstrand fat stack humbucking, switchable to single coil. A Nordstrand three band preamp with active/passive volume controls, pan, and passive tone control, active treble, two band mid, and bass controls. Rosewood control knobs, flush mounted jack and Dunlop strap lock system.

Bone (cow) nut, Hipshot tuners and bridge, Dean Markley SR2000s strings. Copper shielded electronic cavity with
matching Wenge truss rod and electronic cavity covers. A Mono case is provided.

Post subject: Re: WYN WSB-5
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

WOW! :shock:

Marc, that is a BEAUTIFUL bass! Let me know how you like the Nordy electronics. I think they sound killer. My Regenerate will have Nordy fat single coils.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 11:36 pm 

and to Wyn's credit - check out how clean and unstained that Maple top is where it contacts the Padouk. FYI Padouk is notorious for its red sanding dust staining everything around it. In order to keep the Maple and other surrounding woods clean, the builder needs to wash a coat of shellac/nitro/etc... onto the lighter woods to protect their pores from becoming filled with the red dust (which is almost impossible to get rid of since further sanding only serves to further spread the red dust!)

there's a ton of craftsmanship there in that bass. just thought it'd be good to help you appreciate Wyn's work to an even greater level

all the best,

R

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 5:00 am 

Now that's craftmanship right there... :o

Maybe a silly question, but what's the added advantage in the polepiece placing like that?

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 6:53 am 

I'm very curious about those Nordstrand Fat Stacks and would love to try them. If I didn't already love my Ellio Martina so much the way it is now, I would have stuck a pair in there. Beautiful bass, and stunning woods and woodworking!

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 10:07 am 

Congratulations AzWhoFan, beautiful bass!
Looking at his pricing/options page...wow...did he charge extra for lefthanded construction?

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 11:07 am 

Basshappi wrote:
Congratulations AzWhoFan, beautiful bass!
Looking at his pricing/options page...wow...did he charge extra for lefthanded construction?

Nope, no lefty upcharge, but I was fortunate enough to get a discount as we made a verbal agreement at NAMM. Otherwise I could never have afforded it - not that I can afford it even with that discount figured in LOL. It's tough to blow one's annual gear budget in the 2nd week of January. Ouch!

And I want to thank Rodent again for getting me to visit his booth. I would have totally passed it by in ignorance if it were not for him.

Nilezd: Rodent will be able to clue you in on the physics behind the staggered pole pieces, he's pretty knowledgeable on Nordstrand pups.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm 

direct from the Nordstrand site

all the best,

R

Quote:
Fat Stacks

stacked humbucking 4/5/6 string bass pickups
These are a proprietary Nordstrand design. The traditional bi-pole magnet layout was, literally, twisted in a new direction. By rotating the pole 45 degrees for each set we have increased the size of the traditional J style coil by 50%, making it wider, or "fatter". This results in a larger aperature, which captures more harmonic content from the string, resulting in a "fatter" tone. These pickups have a tone reminiscent of a J style single coil, but they are bigger and bolder. Full range and a present but pleasant high end response. These pickups have a great deal of midrange detail and fullness. Due to the naturally lower output of this design, these pickups can sometimes benefit from a pre-amp with 3 or more db of gain.

These pickups are shipped with three conductor wire for a split-able installation. When the third lead is shorted to ground only the top coil will remain active for a louder, more aggressive and mean version of the fat tone these pickups deliver (albeit with 60 cycle noise that single coils inherently possess). Think of it as a turbo charger for tone!

These pickups will fit as replacements for Bartoliniā„¢ P2 (5 string) and BC (4 string) pickups. Dimensions are 4.25" by 1.25" and 3.95" by 1.25" respectively. Standard spacing is 19mm ctc at the bridge.