LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 6:00 pm

Post subject: Sire V7 5 String
PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 3:01 pm 

I know a couple of you have experienced the whole Sire thing, but I thought I would post a couple thoughts. I've been looking for a cheap-ish 5 string bass for ages now. I love fivers and don't have the hangup that a lot of people seem to have about basses that aren't 4 strings, but I still don't necessarily have the need for a fiver very often. The Sire seemed like the perfect gamble for me. I placed the order for this in April and it was supposed to take 5-6 months, but it showed up in 3 months.
Out of the box, the bass was decently setup. It was actually set up a little more comfortably than most new Fenders, whose factory specs feel unplayable to me. I like straight necks and low action. This bass had a little relief in the neck, and the string height was a tad higher than I usually like, but still comfortable. The bridge, which really seems like a high quality Fender 70s style bridge, has a beefier plate and was actually radiused to match the fingerboard. I didn't expect that attention to setup from a cheapo import bass at all. Still, I had to make some adjustments to get it to my personal taste, which is ok.
The nut is a tiny bit high, so I am going to file it a little. No big deal there. On any RIC I've ever bought, you could drive a truck under the strings on the first fret.
Pickups & electronics seem great so far. The jury is out until I hear and play this beast in a live setting. The bass didn't ship with batteries in the preamp so I got to know the passive mode first. There's a master volume and tone with a pickup blend for passive, and a 3 band EQ in active.
The neck feels great. Sire is super proud of their rolled fingerboard edges (there's even a hangtag dedicated to that silly flex :lol: ), but I get it. The playability definitely benefits from that. The neck reminds me of Fender's Japan Fivers as far as the overall profile goes.
Fit and finish are good. The paint job is deep and glossy, and flawless as far as I can see.
The only points I can deduct are for the shit tuners, which are comparable to the cheap ones on MIM Fenders and Squier basses. But, mine work fine and do the job. We shall see how they hold up. Also, I'd prefer the battery hatch was a quick-open type like on Ernie Ball basses and such. This one just has 4 screws and a cheap little hatch, but again, no big deal.
Over all, this bass blows Fender MIM and Squier out of the water quality wise. Amazing value and I've really enjoyed playing it the last few days. Here's a few pix. By the way, it fits perfectly in any rectangular Jazz Bass case.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Sire V7 5 String
PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 12:35 am 

Nice!

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 1:20 am 

Nice review on a beautiful bass... I dig that color! Congrats...

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 8:05 am 

Thanks guys. It really is a killer value.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 12:27 pm 

Welcome to the club! :) That finish is stunning. How's the overall weight?

Agree with your points, though I've had no problem with the tuners on mine so far and my V7 Vintage is my main gigging bass. My V7 is a pre-2nd version model, and truthfully, the whole rolled fretboard marketing angle seemed pointless to me because the frets have alway been smooth and well-dressed on these basses from day 1. (Unlike the Am Pro P Bass I had). I agree about the new battery cover. Pain in the ass to change batteries. The previous models had the flip up battery compartments like EB, but they were junk and the little plastic hinges broke on all of mine (I had 3 of these basses at one point). For $10, I replaced them with a couple I found on Amazon, and they function fine now.

A couple of curious things I've encountered that you may want to check:

- If you're stringing through the body, you may find it difficult to intonate the instrument depending on the strings you use. I found on my V7 that I couldn't intonate certain strings perfectly because I couldn't move the saddles back far enough, due to the string thru blocking it's path. (Not to mention a saddle kissing right up to the string causes a pretty severe/90 degree break angle). For some reason, I didn't have to move the saddles back as far when I switched to DR Black Beauties. Of course, you can always top load without a problem.
- Input jack is pretty crappy. I replaced mine.
- I also upgraded my PUPs. I can't speak for the newer PUPs they offer now, but I felt mine were a bit too, "sterile". I went with DiMarzio DP123s. Love this bass now!

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 1:23 pm 

I had no problem intonating mine. Sounds great so far, but I’ll see how they do in a live setting first.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2021, 8:33 pm 

I love it.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6