LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:24 am

Post subject: My "Actually belonged to Jimmy Haslip" Roscoe SKB3006
PostPosted: April 16th, 2020, 5:59 pm 

I bought this Roscoe skb3006 20+ years ago. At the time I was told that the bass had belonged to Jimmy Haslip, which I'm pretty sure has been said about every lefty Roscoe ever, so I dismissed it as nothing more than lore or potentially even just a sales tactic.

As I was told, the story was that he got the bass, played it for a while but then decided he wanted it fretted, so sent it back to Roscoe where it was fretted. Then he decided he didn't want it afterall.

A friend of mine who works with Jimmy told him this story recently and showed him my pictures, and Jimmy confirmed that it was in fact his bass at one point. Not sure about the details of the story, but I know it was once, at least briefly, owned by Jimmy. Pretty cool. Since there are only a handful of us lefty bassist, theres a good chance most of you own a Jimmy bass too, but I thought this was a fun enough story to share here. :)

Now if I could only play the darn thing... :roll:

Attachments:
20200416_125230_copy_756x1008.jpg
20200416_125230_copy_756x1008.jpg [ 216.44 KiB | Viewed 7305 times ]
20200416_125315_copy_756x1008.jpg
20200416_125315_copy_756x1008.jpg [ 207.32 KiB | Viewed 7305 times ]
 Post subject: Re: My "Actually belonged to Jimmy Haslip" Roscoe SKB3006
PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 2:58 am 

Great story! I'm curious about the string spacing... I have an inexpensive, but easy-to-play Ibanez SR206, with a low/flat feeling neck profile, with 17mm spacing at the bridge... it took a couple of weeks to adjust to the "C" string (used to playing 5's...) but after that, I played it solid in a weekly Rock/bar band for two years. Really like the string spacing; it was easy to play, and along with the "flat" neck profile, it was easy to play. I have a couple of 5-strings that felt wider... So, what is the string spacing on this Bass, and how does the overall neck profile feel to you?

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 4:55 am 

It's awesome to know the backstory of your bass! Congrats!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 4:00 pm 

What a great story... I am a huge fan of Jimmy and his playing. Met him years ago at a jazz club where he playing.... What a player.

This is a great looking Roscoe with ebony board. that's a beauty leftybassatl!!

Here's a shot of my Jimmy Haslip Signature Roscoe LG3006 I use to own. Wish I still owned it but not getting into that horror story here... :/

Attachments:
photo.jpg
photo.jpg [ 216.08 KiB | Viewed 7260 times ]
PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 7:43 am 

That's a beauty Gravesbass. I'd love to get a LG 5 string one of these days, I imagine that smaller body is so much more comfortable.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 7:49 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Great story! I'm curious about the string spacing... I have an inexpensive, but easy-to-play Ibanez SR206, with a low/flat feeling neck profile, with 17mm spacing at the bridge... it took a couple of weeks to adjust to the "C" string (used to playing 5's...) but after that, I played it solid in a weekly Rock/bar band for two years. Really like the string spacing; it was easy to play, and along with the "flat" neck profile, it was easy to play. I have a couple of 5-strings that felt wider... So, what is the string spacing on this Bass, and how does the overall neck profile feel to you?

I don't mind the string spacing and all and the neck is very comfortable. My problem is that I usually play 5 strings, so 4 and 5 are fine, but I can't wrap my mind around what to do with the C string, and it kind of just gets in the way. I occasionally noodle on it and chord with it, but I don't sound great doing either of those and I feel a little silly doing something I wouldn't normally do just because I have this extra string. Also the bass plays so much "hotter" than my other basses (if that makes any sense) that I have to change the way I play, which can be a distraction also.

If I spent some real time with it I think I'd be fine, but it's always been deep in the lineup, and like fretless, it's not an instrument I feel I'm talented enough to play only on occasion and make it sound decent.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 9:45 am 

@ leftybassatl

If the bass is hotter check the preamp for a small phillips screw adjustment (inside back control plate). If that's an older stock bart preamp it will have an output adjustment screw (small blue box). Turn it down a little.

Attachments:
bart pre.jpg
bart pre.jpg [ 28.11 KiB | Viewed 7233 times ]
PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 3:24 pm 

leftybassatl wrote:
If I spent some real time with it I think I'd be fine, but it's always been deep in the lineup, and like fretless, it's not an instrument I feel I'm talented enough to play only on occasion and make it sound decent.

Understand about the C-string... took me a awhile to adapt to it too... eventually I just concentrated on thinking of the bass as a 5-string, and the C-string was there to use as an occasional "run-extender".... but, after awhile, i just started to practice extended scale patterns, and it became second nature... Keep working at it, you'll find it fun to have the C-string in your arsenal... :)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 8:31 am 

Beautiful sixers