LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:00 pm

Post subject: Two Lefty Roscoes
PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 5:43 am 

Hi Everyone! A guy on talkbass just clued me in on this website and suggested I share some of my photos with my fellow lefties, so here they are:

Here's my ~2 year old fretless LG3005. It's a spanish cedar body with a walnut top, Maple/Purpleheart/Maple neck, bartolini 3-band EQ and Bartolini/Roscoe pickups, strung with DR Black Beauties. The fingerboard is Rainbow Diamondwood.

and the star trek shot:

Here's my brand new fretted LG3005. It's a solid swamp ash body, Pao Ferro fretboard, Audere 4 band EQ, Nordstrand Pickups, finished in a fender-inspired translucent white.

Star Trek:

Roscoe Noir:

The Family:
(featuring one of my cats, Little Girl)

Anyways, it's nice to find a place with a bunch of lefties! I've already loved tons of the basses I've seen on here! I've seen basses that I didn't even know ever came left-handed :o

Post subject: Re: Two Lefty Roscoes
PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 6:23 am 

You're killing me. If you ever decide to sell, post here first. ;)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 7:51 am 

That fretless is amazing! I've never seen anything like that fingerboard. The top is beautiful too. Jawdropper, definitely.

I don't really like the look of the fretted one, the translucent white and that fairly light-coloured pao ferro fingerboard somehow look a little too plain for a bass of such class and stature.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 9:38 am 

Jeroen wrote:
That fretless is amazing! I've never seen anything like that fingerboard. The top is beautiful too. Jawdropper, definitely.

I don't really like the look of the fretted one, the translucent white and that fairly light-coloured pao ferro fingerboard somehow look a little too plain for a bass of such class and stature.

I was going for plain/vintage. I don't like flame or quilt maple tops, I'm not big on bright, fancy colors (despite what the fretless fingerboard may indicate), and I've always wanted a translucent white instrument. I also wanted it to be the opposite of my fretless in almost every way possible - tone and looks. It's also very difficult to photograph. There's lots of subtlety in the finish that I haven't been able to properly capture with my camera yet. It's definitely better looking in person.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 10:16 am 

Sah-weet!!!
And welcome aboard.
That diamondwood board is really unusual. did you custom order the bass that way? If so did get a chance to preview the fingerboard before final assembly?

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 10:53 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Sah-weet!!!
And welcome aboard.
That diamondwood board is really unusual. did you custom order the bass that way? If so did get a chance to preview the fingerboard before final assembly?

kinda a funny story... I did custom order a rainbow diamondwood fingerboard, but the only example I'd seen had been wood-toned, so picture my fingerboard as light wood and dark wood, and it gets you close. That's what I thought my 'board was gonna look like. When Gard (general manager at Roscoe) sent me the first completed pictures, I was pretty shocked that it came out looking like the incredible hulk. Gard explained to me that they don't have any control over the color of how the fingerboard comes out. Roscoe orders the diamondwood, and the manufacturer sends them essentially randomly-layered/tinted pieces of wood. So if you order rainbow diamondwood from roscoe, be prepared, 'cause who knows what color combination you're gonna get...

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim,
Welcome, great to have you here! :)

That's a killer pair of basses! I think the white finish on the fretted bass looks great. Very refined.

Is rainbow diamondwood made the same as Fender did the wildwood guitars (injecting ink into wood), or is that naturally occurring coloring in the wood?

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 12:23 pm 

andrew wrote:
Hi Jim,
Welcome, great to have you here! :)

That's a killer pair of basses! I think the white finish on the fretted bass looks great. Very refined.

Is rainbow diamondwood made the same as Fender did the wildwood guitars (injecting ink into wood), or is that naturally occurring coloring in the wood?

It must be, because it's kinda like plywood - but each layer of wood is a different color, and the different colors and layers come through when you radius (aka sand down) the fingerboard. I'll see if I can get a picture at some point to show the side of the neck. From the side you can see the layers and the different colors of each layer.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 4:51 am 

[quote="jimb213"]Hi Everyone! A guy on talkbass just clued me in on this website and suggested I share some of my photos with my fellow lefties, so here they are:

Hi jimb213, that "guy on talkbass" was me! You should all thank me for seeing jimb213's post on talkbass and clueing him in on this website :D . I saw his basses in the "Bass Photography" thread. Welcome aboard, and thanks for showing off your beautiful Roscoes!

Now, what else ya got? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 6:42 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
jimb213 wrote:
Hi Everyone! A guy on talkbass just clued me in on this website and suggested I share some of my photos with my fellow lefties, so here they are:

Hi jimb213, that "guy on talkbass" was me! You should all thank me for seeing jimb213's post on talkbass and clueing him in on this website :D . I saw his basses in the "Bass Photography" thread. Welcome aboard, and thanks for showing off your beautiful Roscoes!

Now, what else ya got? :mrgreen:

well, I sold my other two basses to help pay for the new roscoe, so I don't got nothin' else, unless y'all wanna see my skinny-string instruments... they're good guitars, but nothing spectacular; a kinda beat up Gibson SG, a MiM Telecaster, a taylor 6-string acoustic, and a seagull 12-string acoustic. hmmm... it might be fun to take an extended family portrait...

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 11:09 am 

Why do I have a craving for pistachio or neopolitan ice cream right now?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 3:10 pm 

+1! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 11:28 am 

WOW, those are a couple of fine looking Roscoe's, Jim. Welcome to the board. I also am a Roscoe player. I have an LG3006 "Haslip Model" slant pups and an LG3005 Fretless with straight pups. Gard Rules! PLAIN AND SIMPLE, The BEST general manager I have ever dealt with. My fretless is lined diamondwood (dark) and bubinga top on swamp ash body. I would love to hear that trans white LG3005. I stuck with Barts on the fretless and had the Aguilar OBP-3 pre installed. OH MY!!!! Growls for days and sustains for days.

Hi Five for Roscoe's....!

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 12:10 pm 

Here are my 2 lefty Roscoes....

More Roscoe Eye Candy! :D

Attachments:
LG3006.jpg
LG3006.jpg [ 68.85 KiB | Viewed 12556 times ]
LG3005.jpg
LG3005.jpg [ 75.16 KiB | Viewed 12556 times ]
PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 8:37 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Here are my 2 lefty Roscoes....

More Roscoe Eye Candy! :D

very cool! I'm seriously considering getting a ramp for my fretted bass. where'd you get yours done?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 11:05 am 

I had this ramp made for me at SF Guitar Works, San Francisco, CA. The owners name is Geoff. He does fantastic work. The ramp was custom for my Roscoe and it ramps with the radius of the neck/strings. Its a MUST for fretless or fretted. It is made of ebony.

http://www.sfguitarworks.com/

info@sfguitarworks.com