LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:57 am

Post subject: Precision Bass 1976 w/ rosewood fingerboard all original
PostPosted: July 14th, 2019, 2:39 pm 

From the series "I hope I won't regret", my 76 P-bass in excellent condition.
More specs and pictures on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/26202898-fender ... eft-handed
Selling here for $2500 shipped CONUS.
Image Image
Image Image

Post subject: Re: Precision Bass 1976 w/ rosewood fingerboard all original
PostPosted: July 14th, 2019, 4:57 pm 

A bit of a rare bird. Rosewood board with a “skunk stripe”.
And yes Paulo, you’re gonna regret it.... ;0)

PostPosted: July 14th, 2019, 6:06 pm 

Sweet bass. Someone's going to be happy.

At times I've felt some regret over selling nice instruments. It eventually wanes. It's called "growth" imo.

Fear of future regret is much worse. That's what keeps me stuck.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 6:21 am 

Interested in trades? Thanks, Frank

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 8:49 am 

tomdbass wrote:

Strange indeed. I'm trying to understand why.

Paulo, is there anything stamped on the heel of the neck? Date, neck size, etc? Is that an A neck too? Nut width looks in the J bass territory to my naked eye.

From a functional standpoint, there would be no reason for a rosewood fretboard neck to have a skunk stripe during this time period, as the truss rod is usually installed from above under the fretboard. When Fender introduced the bullet truss rod, however, they went back to the skunk stripe rear installation. (And it's my understanding by the late 70's it didn't matter if the neck was maple or rosewood, the skunk stripe remained). So was this originally a maple fretboard neck that was (later?) replaced with a rosewood fretboard?

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 9:24 am 

From what I’ve found out about the subject of rosewood fingerboards and skunk strips, it is exactly that. It was originally a maple board that was replaced with a rosewood one for whatever reason.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 9:48 am 

There are other '75 P-basses with this stripe as well.
Here is one that is listed as a '75 model as well.

Attachments:
sigvweiasbubxd9d30ca.jpg
sigvweiasbubxd9d30ca.jpg [ 122.41 KiB | Viewed 14128 times ]
PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 9:50 am 

Sorry! This was a maple board...…

Though I have seen other (Left handed) P-basses with the Skunk Stripe
with rosewood boards.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm 

tomdbass wrote:
From what I’ve found out about the subject of rosewood fingerboards and skunk strips, it is exactly that. It was originally a maple board that was replaced with a rosewood one for whatever reason.

How certain are you? What have you "found out" about rosewood and skunk stripes?

You're making a definitive claim about a fellow respected member's bass in his For Sale thread, a claim that might reduce the perceived value of the bass.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 12:09 pm 

76 P neck, no bullet, rosewood board, skunk stripe:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/1976-fender-walnut-precision-rosewood-fretboard-ohsc-pic-heavy.1051113/

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 12:20 pm 

pjmuck I don't recall seeing an A at the neck heel, there's something there but I can't remember.
I'll check when I get a chance.
As most of us know, the Fender bass back then was no master piece, a bunch of parts slap together.
They used whatever they had in stock until they run out.
There's the possibility they had a bunch of lefty necks done and got an order for a bass with rosewood fretboard so they used the neck that was already made. Who knows? 70's Fender are very inconsistent.
This one is for sure original and never got the fretboard replaced, I've seen other basses like this one in the past as well and they where all lefties.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm 

basherfrank wrote:
Interested in trades? Thanks, Frank

Sent you a PM.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 12:34 pm 

tomdbass wrote:

Like I said I hope not! The snotburst plays as nice as this one so that's my excuse to let this one go, also I have a natural 77 PJ with rosewood board.
Chances are if it doesn't sell some time soon I may pull it.
Just trying to downsize the herd but it's hard to pick what to let go of! :lol:

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 7:40 pm 

bbl wrote:
tomdbass wrote:

How certain are you? What have you "found out" about rosewood and skunk stripes?

You're making a definitive claim about a fellow respected member's bass in his For Sale thread, a claim that might reduce the perceived value of the bass.

I owned one once and I asked a few reputable sources about it (George Gruhn, John Scott...etc) according to them, it did occur from time to time for a rosewood fingerboard to be put on a neck that was originally meant to be all maple. Sometimes it was custom order or due to using what was available in. Left handed at the time of manufacture. Didn’t say there was anything wrong with the bass or that it had any previous problems that would affect the resale value of it.. Unfortunately, you took it that way.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 12:24 am 

tomdbass wrote:
bbl wrote:
tomdbass wrote:

I owned one once and I asked a few reputable sources about it (George Gruhn, John Scott...etc) according to them, it did occur from time to time for a rosewood fingerboard to be put on a neck that was originally meant to be all maple. Sometimes it was custom order or due to using what was available in. Left handed at the time of manufacture. Didn’t say there was anything wrong with the bass or that it had any previous problems that would affect the resale value of it.. Unfortunately, you took it that way.

It wasn't just a lefty thing. I've seen the same thing on a number of right handed basses.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 5:21 am 

That’s true. I’ve seen right handed ones as well. Fender did a lot of crazy stuff back then. I don’t think any of it is bad, just a little confusing at times. I have a 73 Jazz bass that I’m selling that has 74 pots, the neck was stamped twice (once determining it to be a 74 and once determining it to be a 73) I had the bass appraised several times and it’s all original. I think Paulo has a rare one on his hands. I still think you’ll regret selling it Paulo....;0)

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 7:34 am 

tomdbass wrote:
bbl wrote:
tomdbass wrote:

I said that definitively claiming that "It was originally a maple board that was replaced with a rosewood one for whatever reason" might reduce the perceived value of the bass.

You don't see how a replaced part on an otherwise all-original vintage bass might reduce the perceived value for some potential buyers? :?:

OK. But of course, the point is now moot since you're no longer claiming that. Thanks for the correction. :)

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 10:15 am 

To clarify, what I meant was that it was done at the factory by Fender and not a replacement due to damage. From what I found out from the research that I did on mine was that Fender did this on occasion with both guitars and basses prior to them leaving the factory for whatever reason they did. I personally think it increases the value of the instrument because there really weren’t many of them that came from the factory like that. I do regret selling mine that’s for sure.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 11:45 am 

I'm sorry if I implied that it wasn't all original. That was not my intent. I'm fully aware that Fender did wacky stuff in those days and would assemble lefties from parts lying around as needed. Sometimes you'll a discrepancy of years between the body and neck manufacture dates. I've seen several early 70's lefties with late 60's necks, for example.

I only stated that, from a functional standpoint, (or specifically a manufacturing standpoint), a skunk stripe on a rosewood fretboard neck makes no sense, as the truss rod can be installed under the fretboard (as was the case with a typical rosewood fretboard instrument), so no skunk stripe route required. So when you do see both, you have to wonder why. The possibility that the neck started out as a maple neck and was later modified by Fender makes sense, as the neck looks period correct to me. (Another reason I'm curious about the neck stamps, if any, as I've been on the lookout for another B neck P for a while).

Beautiful bass regardless. How's the weight, Paulo?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2019, 4:09 pm 

Nice bass Paulo!!! Damn nice.