LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 6:48 am

Post subject: 1987 Pedulla Buzz
PostPosted: September 15th, 2014, 10:13 pm 

You may remember this bass which I bought from pjmuck a while back. Great little bass in fine condition for its year with the slight fading of the cherry sunburst making the bass almost blond with cherry highlights. I spent some money installing an ACG EQ-01 preamp and getting the fingerboard finish levelled ever so slightly (the finish is still intact). This bass is now closer to a Wal due to the filters. For those unfamiliar with the ACG preamp, it consists of a low pass filter assigned to each pickup, and a global high pass filter, as well as stacked volume/blend pots. Basically 4 stacked pots giving you a HUGE tonal variety. Full disclosure, this is not your mother's Pedulla Buzz so I believe this will not sound EXACTLY like her Buzz bass that's equipped with Bartolini electronics. Close, but not exact.

EMG P/J pickups. Schaller bridge, Pedulla tuners, brass nut.

By the way, the bottom end out of this thing can be surreal and very synth-like at times, depending on how you set up the neck filter.

Reason for sale: I've found a 5 string fretless I need to finance or I would be keeping this little beauty.

I believe I'd like to start at around $1900 US plus shipping from B.C. Canada.

Comes with original Pedulla hard case in good condition with Pedulla logo and case candy.

More and larger photos available on request.

Attachments:
DSC_2968.jpg
DSC_2968.jpg [ 140.57 KiB | Viewed 22616 times ]
DSC_2967.jpg
DSC_2967.jpg [ 162.23 KiB | Viewed 22616 times ]
DSC_2965.jpg
DSC_2965.jpg [ 169.1 KiB | Viewed 22616 times ]
DSC_2963.jpg
DSC_2963.jpg [ 179.42 KiB | Viewed 22616 times ]

Last edited by markcv on September 16th, 2014, 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: 1987 Pedulla Buzz
PostPosted: September 15th, 2014, 10:21 pm 

Those looking for both a fine 4 string fretless and a fabulous 5 string fretted can snag both my Pedulla Buzz and my M Bass M3 for a combined deal of $2800 US plus shipping. Hurry now, supplies are limited. If you act now I'll throw in a set of Ginsu steak knives. Assuming I can find some. Hell, I'll BUY you a nice set of steak knives if you buy these two basses together. Assuming you need some that is. ;)

Again, just looking to finance a 5 string fretless.

Link to my M Bass:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4752

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 4:13 pm 

How I wish that Pedulla was fretted...

pete

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 6:29 pm 

@ Pete: although I personally find it rather sacrilegious to consider.... you could have it fretted. By the way, rather jazz-like neck on this bass. 1.5" at the nut. And according to my bathroom scales, about 9 lbs.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 10:35 pm 

If either my Stingray5 or my P-Bass sell, I will be all over this Mark! :)

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 8:22 am 

Also, for those that might be interested in both the basses I have listed, I can include a Mono Dual Electric Bass bag for $150 that is in superb condition. These sell for $335 direct from Mono.

Here's the link: http://monocreators.com/dual-electric-bass/

Pics of bag on request. Not for sale separately.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 10:20 am 

Very Nice Pedulla.....

Great Double Bags.... I use MONO exclusively. They have a great warranty as well against ANY defects and damage.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Thread detour: how heavy are the Mono double bags, are they fairly lightweight compared to other double bags?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 12:16 pm 

andrew wrote:
Thread detour: how heavy are the Mono double bags, are they fairly lightweight compared to other double bags?

I just weighed mine with a luggage scale and it's somewhere between 8 and 8.5lbs. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's really the best gig bag I've ever owned double or single. Highly recommended.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 2:19 pm 

jayceofbass wrote:
andrew wrote:

I just weighed mine with a luggage scale and it's somewhere between 8 and 8.5lbs. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's really the best gig bag I've ever owned double or single. Highly recommended.

Agreed! The double Mono bag was a great investment for me.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 2:59 pm 

andrew wrote:

Very Bearable..... When worn over your shoulder or used as a backpack its fine. I always thought the handle was in the wrong spot tho (too far back).

As far as a single bag, The Verigo get's the +++ all the way from me. I love the bottom boot and tight compact design. Wish MONO would make a Vertigo double where you can pull both basses out vertically, but oh well. We can't have everything.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 17th, 2014, 4:08 pm 

Love that Pedulla! Always wanted to try a Buzz but never had the chance, and right now I don't have the means.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2014, 11:09 pm 

crabby wrote:
If either my Stingray5 or my P-Bass sell, I will be all over this Mark! :)

So would I if my Schatz jazz would sell..

PostPosted: October 10th, 2014, 9:37 am 

It's Friday and I'm gonna drop the price $100 to $1800 US plus shipping from B.C. If there's no action I guess it'll have to go up on... *shudder* ...eBay

PostPosted: October 10th, 2014, 11:23 am 

Wow, that Buzz aged beautifully. Often when you see older Pedulla's the finish is chipped or worn off in places, but this one still looks pristine!

PostPosted: October 10th, 2014, 2:21 pm 

Other than the colour fading it's really in excellent condition. I took it to a local luthier the other day and he thought it was in amazing shape for its age.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 10:42 pm 

Price drop bump gents. My F Bass has shipped and my wallet has emptied. Offers on $1800 US plus shipping from B.C. Canada. Just trying to re-coup what I have into the bass with the work done, and the preamp cost and install.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 10:36 am 

OK gents. Looking for some honest feedback before I move this on to eBay. Price or anything else is up for discussion. I put it up on Reverb.com on the weekend but no bites yet. Here's my take on the bass: it's really in very good condition and sounds amazing. I will record something here this week.

If I may quote a chat I had with Addison not too long ago in regards to the lines on the fingerboard and what he told me Joe Zon told him (and please correct me if I misquote you Chris), "you can almost always feel the lines". In my experience with lined fretless basses I would have to agree. I have had a lined fretless Carvin LB76 (beautiful bass btw), a lined F Bass BNF-5, a lined fretless Status Graphite S2, and this Pedulla Buzz. On every one of those basses you could, ever so slightly, feel the lines. I believe this is down to the difference in materials used. The Carvin and the Pedulla used plastic lines in Ebony fingerboards. My old F Bass had maple lines in ebony (which you could still feel but a light fingerboard dressing would reduce). I have now had 3 unlined fretless basses, a custom Kinal headless, a fully passive F Bass BNF-5 with ebony bridge, and my new F Bass BNF-5 and have now come to realize that, for me, this works best. Particularly the way F Bass marks the edges of their fingerboards.

Anyway, I digress, here's a copy of a message I got from a fellow Pedulla Buzz owner and TB-er who ALSO has an ACG EQ-01 preamp installed. I copy it here as I couldn't have said it better myself.

"Regarding the ACG EQ01 pre-amp. I bought it mostly because it was the closest thing you could get to the Wal filter pre-amp without actually having to buy a Wal.

I like filter pre-amps because firstly they do something that you can't do with the tone controls on your amp (which is why on the whole I don't like basses with built-in pre-amps because I can't see the point and IMO too much potentially conflicting tone control can ruin your sound) and secondly you can control the sound of each pickup individually.

Unless like me you have analogue synth experience they do take a bit of getting used to, and ultimately it's impossible to explain without getting some hands on time for yourself.

So can you make the ACG pre-amp sound like the original Buzz one? Well firstly the Buzz has been through at least 3 variations in pre-amp that I am aware of. TBH replicating the sound of the original pre-amp was never something that I considered (see above). So the honest answer is I don't know - although setting it flat and using the more conventional tone controls on your amp should get you close.

As for being able to get Jaco tones, again it's not really something I was interested in. My fretless inspiration is Mick Karn - although after fitting the ACG I discovered that most of his distinctive work with Japan was done using a Travis Bean rather than the Wal, so I would say that his sound is more to do with his playing technique and note choices than the electronics in his instruments."

All this being said, one has to also keep in mind the new price of a Pedulla Buzz bass. A AAA flame maple Buzz is $5590 including case plus shipping. You could ship this bass to Mike Pedulla and have him refinish the entire thing and put all new Pedulla spec Bartolini electronics in it for around $1500. It's not what I would do but one could do that and end up with an essentially new Buzz bass for more than $2000 less than if you ordered one.

Grist for the discussion mill for anybody that may be interested.

Cheers all.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 11:24 am 

Mark, I don't think there is anything wrong with the bass or the price. Anybody who knows and appreciate Pedulla and fine fretless in general can see the beauty this is. The problem is that it is a specialized bass and the market is softer than ever, as far as I can see. Unless you have a vintage Fender, and at a bargain price, I don't see anything moving -- even more on anything over $1000.

My advice will be that if you put it on eBay, put a starting price you can live with, or you might end up getting peanuts for it. Trying to recoup what you have in it can be an unrealistic goal these days . . .

:(

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 11:52 am 

Thanks for the comment Carlos. Not unsurprising. :|