LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:33 pm

Post subject: Re: Do you play acoustic guitar?
PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 3:50 am 

bbl wrote:
The border between the light and dark doesn't look very natural to me. Looks very haphazard. But I'm no expert on ebony.

Just to add to the discussion, I play acoustic guitar almost exclusively now. When playing bass, I was never that picky about neck widths and profiles, but that really changed when I started playing more acoustic guitar, especially fingerstyle. Now I won't consider buying a guitar if it's less than 1 3/4" at the nut and 2 5/16" at the saddle. (if anyone's selling a lefty guitar that meets this criteria, please let me know).

I also never felt comfortable playing acoustic guitar with a pic. I like bare fingers on string. Once I learned fingerstyle - slowly, patiently, using tabs and videos - a whole new world opened up. It's pretty much all I want to do now. Lots of Travis picking. Sometimes I still feel like I'm playing bass, because I am, with my thumb. And just like playing bass guitar, timing, consistency and groove are most important. Much more than getting the melody notes just right.

These are exact sentiments. Thanks for chiming in!

pete

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 9:33 am 

Glad to chime in.

Another thing definitely worth mentioning - pricing.

I never bought many new basses, but if there was a bass at $1999 list that an online dealer was advertising for $1699, then I'd expect to pay $1699. (Maybe I shouldn't have expected this?).

Not so for acoustic guitars. Dealers are required to advertise a guitar for no less than the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP), which is usually about 20 to 30% of the list (MSRP) price. But that's not what you'll have to pay. Depending on the guitar and the dealer, you can often get a guitar for up to 40% off the list price, which is well below the MAP. But you have to call around.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 12:56 pm 

Geoff, I am not sure if you know but I moved to the Caribbean. Since I could not take all my guitars, I left a few of them behind in Tahoe. I am selling my Larrivee OM03R for dirt cheap ($500). In case your are interested and would want to drive to Northstar to get it. It is inexpensive because I can't ship it and if I don't sell it, it will spend the next 10 yrs in my friend's basement anyway. My wife will still be in Northstar until June. This guitar is $1,500 new. i already gave all my cheap guitars, banjo, mandolin away to local left-handed kids LOL. I also sell my Goldtone Paul Beard dobro for $300 (initially bought from Adirondack Guitars) but again no shipping.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2019, 9:40 am 

Thanks for the kind offers Philippe, but the Larrivee doesn't have the bridge spacing I'm looking for, and I'm not interested in a dobro.

How's the Caribbean been treating you?