LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 14th, 2024, 3:59 am

Post subject: Can't decide which way to play...
PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 1:55 pm 

Howdy folks,

I'm new here and pretty much registered to ask this question (though I do think the concept of the site rocks :D ).

Which hand is more important?

I am naturally left-handed, but, these days, it's pretty much relegated to writing and eating. I use a mouse with my right, and many other things (I've learned not to let can-openers and scissors bother me, for example.)

>>> I play air bass left-handed. <<<

Here's the problem. Perhaps due to driving or the mouse or I-don't-know-what, my right hand is better at the bass in both parts. I have much better speed and accuracy (not to mention, plain ol' funk) when plucking with my right. I ALSO have better ability when fretting with my right.

I would prefer to play left-handed, frankly, if for no other reason than to give Righty a one-fingered salute :twisted: but when I try to match my right-handed speed with my left, I feel ill. Literally.

So, will my left hand ever get up to speed (and possibly surpass my right) with regard to plucking or should I just learn to love playing the way in which my arms feel so wrong?

Since my right is currently better at both parts of the bass, which should I give it?

Thanks for reading and taking my quandry seriously. I am becoming afraid that if I don't decide this once and for all (and soon) that I may simply never play the bass and that would really leave a void in my life.

- Alex

Post subject: Re: Can't decide which way to play...
PostPosted: July 15th, 2009, 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, welcome to the board.

This is always a polarizing topic for lefties.

For myself, if I could do it all over again I would force myself to learn right handed. My reason being many of my favorite basses aren't available left handed and I like the idea of being able to participate in spontaneous jams and get togethers where you'd rarely find a lefty bass.
But if those things aren't an issue for you then decide for yourself what suits you.

I definitely felt more comfortable holding the bass left handed, but I'm sure that practice would've made me feel just as comfortable playing right handed in no time.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2009, 4:27 pm 

Hello there. I agree with Andrew that it is a tricky subject for a Lefty, and one that we each have to decide for ourselves. I'm afraid that you have quite a tough decision to make whichever way you go.

I believe my views on this subject are by now fairly well known by senior members of this forum. I take the view that it is perfectly possible to go either way at the start of your playing career; and that there is certainly a good argument for going Righty (that Andrew has made with characteristic insight and eloquence). However I also believe that there is more to being Left Handed than that, and that our handedness is for some of us such an essential part of who we are that we cannot in all conscience do it any other way.

Over the next day or two I'm sure you'll hear a good range of views along both lines. Good news is that pretty much everybody here has had to consider exactly the same issues at some point, so we all know what we're talking about.

In a sense I was lucky because when I started playing fretted instruments at a young age there were no tutors around to tell me which way to go, so I just played the way that felt 'right' to me. Despite the difficulties I've faced over the years I've never regretted being Left Handed.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 15th, 2009, 7:02 pm 

Thanks very much for your responses! As I attempted to intone earlier, the fact that a forum for lefty bassist exists make me very happy.

LBM392, I have read both of the links you posted on that other forum (basschat or whatever) regarding left-handedness and the physiology and psychology behind it. I have always enjoyed being lefthanded. My mother was "broken from the habit" as a girl and now has bad handwriting with either hand and now it looks like my 2 month old daughter may be a southpaw. :D

However, my concern is not simply which way to go. That would be easy. I honestly (perhaps naively) don't care about availability or impromptu jam sessions. (Though I am slighty concerned about running into problems if I got good enough for studio work...) It's, which way would be best for me? I realize that's almost impossible for someone else to determine, and even moreso through the medium of text. My hope is that someone who reads this may have been in a similar situation and have insights toward a solution.

For example, LBM392 (I'd be happy to call you something else if you prefer) in one of the links you posted, the author suggests that lefties would actually have an advantage over righties in playing a right-handed guitar. I usually brush that sort of thing off from righties with the obligatory "then why don't you guys play lefty?" but, if there's science behind it...?

Furthermore, my own experience is that, for whatever reason, my right hand is better at both parts, plucking and fretting than my left despite the fact that playing lefty feels better.

That's the part I have the most difficulty with. Will my left eventually get faster than my right in plucking? Or will I eventually learn to get down and dirty playing the wrong way?

That's why I posted here. ANY thoughts anyone has on the subject are valuable to me. This has held me up for years, now, and I'm not getting any younger.

Thanks again for any and all responses; I really could use the help.

- Alex

PostPosted: July 16th, 2009, 9:13 am 

Right. First off you can call me Andy, 'cos that's my name.

In case it isn't already obvious from following the links on Basschat, Handedness is a very complex issue. I find it best to think about a sort of spectrum, with extreme handedness being at either end and ambidextrosity (I think that's the correct noun) in the middle. The majority of people occupy points somewhere within the spectrum - most of them towards the 'right handed' end. Extreme handedness (especially Left handedness) is rare. Exactly why this happens is by no means universally agreed on even by those that have studied it closely (not to mention the difficulty of actually pinning down a watertight definition of handedness - your problem being a good case in point), but the general consensus currently is that it is partly genetic and partly cultural. Handedness does tend to run in families (the incidence of Left handedness in the British Royal family, for example, is way above the generally accepted 'background' figure of around 10% of the UK population), but if you think about it you can explain that as entirely genetic, entirely cultural, or anywhere in between. In many parts of the world Left handedness is considered culturally unacceptable, and in those countries Left handedness within the local population comes in at a figure much lower than the UK stat. I think you get the idea of how difficult the whole business is....

Coming to your particular problem, handedness is characterised by one hand being dominant, i.e. taking on those tasks that require strength and/or accuracy/precision (which is actually a consequence of the extra strength - having more strength in one hand gives that hand more control over tasks that demand accuracy & precision). In people who would naturally identify themselves as Left handed this is, of course, the left hand. Left handed people who play guitar/bass right handed often display an unusually strong fretting hand technique - I guess British guitarist Gary Moore would be a good example. Good news if you're a guitarist (especially a rock guitarist), where the ability to play long, flowing fast legato runs would be a definite asset. (Not demeaning right handed players here BTW - plenty of good examples of right handed players who do this with great skill.) For a bass player it may not be such a big deal as IME most bass players tend to favour the ability to produce most of their playing speed with their picking hand. (Feel free to chip in guys... :) ).

Long story short, there's nothing really stopping you playing either way round but your choice may have some long term consequences for your playing style (not good or bad... just different). I can't tell you which way to play (and you should be a little sceptical of anyone who does - a phenomenon that most left handed players will be all too familiar with), but I hope I've given you something that will help you make up your mind.

Edit - just to complicate the matter even further (as if it needs it! :? ) my own bass technique gives more work to my fretting hand than a lot of players because I came to bass after quite a long career as a guitarist learning to play long flowing legato licks!!!

2nd edit - a little something to bake your noodle while you're thinking about it. Hand dominance is related to brain hemisphere dominance (right hemisphere -> left hand). Question: in a very young child, does the hand take its cue from the brain or vice versa? :ugeek:

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 17th, 2009, 8:44 pm 

Heh - Probably a bit of both if my daughter gives any clue.

I've been thinking about The Issue non-stop. I have noticed that, while I might play better righty, when I need to figure out HOW to play something, I do it better lefty. My right hand is better at both fretting and plucking (even though I'm a lefty - go figure...) and yet, I think I may just end up sticking with playing lefty.

It's so strange, though. Trying to alternate index / middle as fast as I can with my left makes my stomach clench and eyes bug; while going twice as fast with my right is a total breeze. I just hope my left eventually catches up. I aspire to Tommy the Cat... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 19th, 2009, 1:11 pm 

The **only** advantage I can think of for playing lefty is that it has a certain photogenic appeal when appearing with righty players ( see any publicity photo of the Beatles).

Play right handed.
Just commit to it and do it. Since both hands are involved there is no clear way to determine if one way will be better for you than other. That being the case, if it feels natural enough for you to play righty, do it and don't look back. A year from now playing right handed will feel "right" to you and picking up a lefty will feel awkward. That's fine. As a right handed player you will have an advantage in virtually every situation including: buying/selling instruments, tracking down specific models, sitting in at a gig, letting others sit in at your gig, swapping, trying friends' gear, letting them try yours, getting certain parts and accessories, etc., etc.

You'll be glad you decided that way.

This is a nifty little forum for us lefty players but I'm reasonably sure that the majority of us here would agree with me on this.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2009, 2:21 pm 

ADSR wrote:
The **only** advantage I can think of for playing lefty is that it has a certain photogenic appeal when appearing with righty players ( see any publicity photo of the Beatles).

Play right handed.
Just commit to it and do it. Since both hands are involved there is no clear way to determine if one way will be better for you than other. That being the case, if it feels natural enough for you to play righty, do it and don't look back. A year from now playing right handed will feel "right" to you and picking up a lefty will feel awkward. That's fine. As a right handed player you will have an advantage in virtually every situation including: buying/selling instruments, tracking down specific models, sitting in at a gig, letting others sit in at your gig, swapping, trying friends' gear, letting them try yours, getting certain parts and accessories, etc., etc.

You'll be glad you decided that way.

This is a nifty little forum for us lefty players but I'm reasonably sure that the majority of us here would agree with me on this.

Photogenic appeal!! :x :x I don't even know where to begin with this one! I think I'll settle for this - there's a bit more to being left handed than having ******* photogenic appeal and sitting in at ******* gigs!

Tell you what though - in the spirit of democratic debate, if you find this argument more convincing than the analysis I've presented then go for it.

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 19th, 2009, 2:43 pm 

Thanks again for the responses, guys.

I think I have finally come to a decision. I chained my wife to a chair (ok, not really) and asked her to listen to me play the same 4:4 4-note progression (keep in mind, I'm NEW to bass) over and over on my acoustic bass; first right-handed then flipped left (the bass is strung righty ATM). She was not particularly aware of which way was which and, after several times back and forth, pointed out that, while I'm not quite as fast playing (what turned out to be) lefty as I am righty, I am much clearer and cleaner.

That discovery of a more even tone (despite the bass being upside-down) plus the fact that lefty FEELS better was the final straw I needed.

I am concerned about the potential for lefty-bass-availability problems if I ever get to a point of paid recording sessions, etc. (dream :roll: dream) but I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks again for all your insights and considerations; turns out this is the ri--- correct forum for me afterall! :D

Now, anyone in the market for a right-handed bass? I happen to know of one for sale...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 19th, 2009, 3:26 pm 

If and when you get to the point of doing paid sessions, getting access to a decent Lefty instrument will not be a problem. (Rodent - look for him elsewhere on this forum under Regenerate Guitar Works - will be more than happy to fix you up I'm sure... :) )

As to buying a starter, (which I presume is where you are about now) you may be surprised at the range of stuff you can get at surprisingly modest prices. You may care to look at some models from the Mexican Fender range, Ibanez, or indeed any of a number of other makes - all widely available in lefty versions. Alternatively, why not look over some of the basses for sale on this very forum? Doing it that way has a number of clear advantages:-

1. You'll get a good instrument at a very good price;

2. You'll get it from somebody who will have looked after it properly;

3. You'll be getting it from a known source so that you have access to the person who you bought it from.

Good luck with your playing. If you need help and advice, there's no shortage of people here in a good position to help you. I myself have run my own tuition business for many years, and will be pleased to help you out (no charge, in case you were wondering...) - I trust you know how to use the Personal Message (PM) system?

Andy

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 20th, 2009, 6:58 am 

My sincere thanks. :D Being that I'm not a kid anymore, I know the value of another person's time.

As far as the bass, itself, goes; it didn't even occur to me to look here. :roll: Next time.

I ordered a Schecter Omen 5, which I think is just right for now but unfortunately it arrived with one of the screw holes for the battery plate completely stripped and the neck is a tad rough. Trying to decide what to do about it. 1) Send it back and possibly lose another month or so 2) Ask for some money back to attempt to repair it 3) Or just slap on some duct tape and get on with it...?

The shop I ordered it form is supposed to call me back today.

But I digress... :D

PostPosted: July 20th, 2009, 8:39 am 

ZUR13L wrote:
My sincere thanks. :D Being that I'm not a kid anymore, I know the value of another person's time.

As far as the bass, itself, goes; it didn't even occur to me to look here. :roll: Next time.

I ordered a Schecter Omen 5, which I think is just right for now but unfortunately it arrived with one of the screw holes for the battery plate completely stripped and the neck is a tad rough. Trying to decide what to do about it. 1) Send it back and possibly lose another month or so 2) Ask for some money back to attempt to repair it 3) Or just slap on some duct tape and get on with it...?

The shop I ordered it form is supposed to call me back today.

But I digress... :D

In the UK we have something called The Sale of Goods Act, which means if something isn't fit for purpose you can take it back and demand a replacement or your money back. I assume you have a corresponding law in the US. You've paid good money for something that isn't up to the job. I'd be in the shop banging on the counter - but that's just me. Whatever you do don't try any repairs yourself, cos the shop may argue that you've caused the problem.

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 20th, 2009, 1:27 pm 

If you bought that as a new instrument, there is no excuse. The store should cover it and make good on any expenses involved in the exchange. If they are a class act and care about their clients and their reputation, they should be prompt and the whole process should be a simple one with very few questions.

RE: My comment about left handed playing being photogenic for band pictures, it is, and I stand by that. :mrgreen:
The point I was trying to make, perhaps not so well, is that IF all things are equal in terms of your skill and comfort for playing either lefty or righty, I think it is wisest to go righty. That being the case there are virtually no real advantages to playing lefty save perhaps the one I just mentioned. HOWEVER: if you do find that you play better as a lefty for whatever reason, then of course that is the way to go. Seems like that is what you have determined and you have made the "right" decision. You'll find this forum to be a great resource.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 10:04 am 

I have to say I agree with ADSR 100% on this. As superficial as it may seem, it really does look good to have a lefty up there amid the righties. But then, I usually buy my basses based in large part on how I will look playing them, so maybe I am just the aging overweight Vince Noir wannabe around here. :lol:

I do not advocate learning leftie just for this reason however! That's what Dave Wakeling of The English Beat did. But it also means that he is at least some part ambidextrous. I simply did not have that option. I am uber-leftie and learning right-handed would have been very frustrating for me, to the point of perhaps giving up early. If I WAS at all ambidextrous, I would have certainly learned rightie for the reasons Andrew mentioned: more instruments and especially being able to join in impropteau gigs etc.

But it was simply never going to happen and I've done fine playing leftie at the end of the day. And it does indeed look great in photographs!

;)

PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 4:17 pm 

Yeah!

Pretty much, everyone here agrees with Andy, as far as finding instruments, jamming with other musicians... playing lefty is a real pain in the neck. And since I am talking about neck, remember to always position yourself on the right side of the stage, as crossing neck with a righty guitar player is neither practical nor cool looking.

I was contemplating getting an upright bass but when I realized how complicated and expensive it was, I gave up. I remember stopping by this violon/upright maker near my house and most candidly, asking the question: Is it possible to string this upright bass lefty by just changing the nut and the bridge? The guy looked at me like if I was insane, like if I had just come into his store to insult him :evil: "Absolutely not" he said. "Upright basses are not built in a symetrical way". Well, sorry and F you dude...

If, at least, it was an advantage like for a lefty tennis player - who are said to have a faster reaction time - but I don't think that it will be easier to get to the level of a Jaco because you play lefty.

Now, don't we all feel special, do we? Sharing all those frustrations... Thinking about it I see another advantage of being lefty: You never have people asking if they can borrow your bass.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 4:04 pm 

Well the fact that you have taken the time to find this sight tells me you should play lefty. It was 15 years or more of playing till I figured out for me how much more important my left hand slapping, plucking, thumbing, fingering techniques are as a whole compared to fretting. I had thought my fretting hand was so much more important because that's where my eyes always were. Anyway I think it's true that there are varying degrees of "handedness". I write with my left hand but mouse with the right and it goes back and forth.
Bottom line when I was just a kid I played air guitar lefty and to me that was all that mattered. My heroes in music played right and left handed so I didn't think one looked better than the other or more correct. I don't think one is more right that the other but, the guys who play lefty with the string upside-down should be smacked. No just kidding but to me that looks bass akwards. Funny I play guitar way better with a right handed guitar playing lefty. I learned all the chords that way. The only problem like was mentioned is selection of basses. The fact fender doesn't make a US 5 string bass kills me and I won't and never will play one.