LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 14th, 2024, 3:10 pm

Post subject: Re: Upgrading a MIM Jazz
PostPosted: July 20th, 2009, 10:51 am 

leftybassman392 wrote:
Thanks for the help with the photos Rod. (I really must buy a decent camera soon!)

A quick run over with a tape measure tells me I should be fine. Still annoying though.

That seem to square with your experience Matt?

Well I don't have the bass that I had the Gotoh bridge on anymore. I just remember installing and intonating the bridge with no issues. I'm wondering now, did I not notice those staggered slots before (seems unlikely I wouldn't notice), or did Gotoh once make them with even slots? This was about 3 or 4 years ago. Hm.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading a MIM Jazz
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2009, 4:06 am 

Update as of 22nd July: I've recorded an initial set of sound clips and installed the Gotoh.

Initial Comments:
1. As others have said, Gotoh slotted straight into the gap vacated by the original item with no issues (well not quite no issues; the vintage ashtray that a previous owner had fitted and which looked pretty cool - especially with the tort pickguard he'd also fitted - no longer fits without looking ridiculous. I now have a vintage Fender Jazz ashtray for sale! :D )

2. In the event the sloping baseplate slots were not an really an issue, with plenty of room on all 4 strings (the G was a little marginal at the front end, and could possibly be an issue with very light gauges - or is it very heavy gauges...Rod! :geek: :) )

3. Because of the thicker baseplate, action adjustment was interesting! :o I like quite a low action, and there was only just enough height adjustment on the G string. In an ideal world I'd have liked it just a tad lower TBH, but it's ok - just! Low E was a little marginal as well, though not really an issue as such.

4. All of the above should be judged against the fact that I use Thomastik Jazz Roundwounds, which are approximately equivalent to 45's but are a little lighter and lower tension string-for-string than a standard set would be. I'm sure others better qualified than me will be able to make observations on this.

Next stage is to record the soundclips post - Gotoh. At that stage I'll post both sets for comparison and comment, along with some details about the recordings themselves. By that time the Audere preamp will hopefully have arrived.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps