LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:28 pm

Post subject: Just Throwing This Out There....
PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 11:31 am 

Some of you guys will understand.

I have been very lucky (and that does not equate to talent) in my amateur music career. I have played with some really, really "A" list performers over the years. My guitarist for 30 years was the band leader and lead guitarist for a major, MAJOR touring country act. Europe multiple tours, Japan and Asia multiple tours, etc. He was contacted by Peavey to write up a journal of his travels, hauling around his Peavey LTD amp. They figured he had traveled several hundred thousand miles with it, but he didn't. Our pianist was with an even bigger, MAJOR country music star for 13 years before becoming his tour manager. Drummer, worked with a different, very popular country act back in the day. Steel player, same, but different acts. Our singer worked for years in Branson with his band before moving back home. I was the only non-traveled person in the group. I don't know how we all ended up together for all that time. We played regularly for a few years, and later reunited for special gigs. We ended up doing a lot of work for the state government, including outdoor festivals, governors' inaugurations, etc., mostly through the department of tourism, and multiple fund-raisers for both political groups and fund-raisers for non-political events in several states.

Well, one of the guys died this past weekend, really from old age. Great guy, decent singer, and we had more fun together than I can remember. I was sad to hear about that.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Puddler, saying that the guy made arrangements in his will for the old group to get together one last time and play at a "celebration" of his life. All this will be at the former state capitol building in Baton Rouge. Of course I will take off work and go - how could I refuse? This should be a lot of fun along with remembering a lot of memories.

Post subject: Re: Just Throwing This Out There....
PostPosted: August 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm 

That's beautiful.

I hope you all can make it a performance worthy of his memory.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2019, 4:32 am 

Great story, thanks for sharing, only musicians can understand the unwritten bond between band mates. For those of this forum that are younger, have fun, jam and take it all in cause 30 years later you will look back on those days with great memories.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 1:48 pm 

My condolences ez. And thanks for sharing this story.

I love hearing stories about the importance of music for healing, bonding, connecting, celebrating.

My wife's grandfather passed last April and I was very honored to play and sing his favorite song at his funeral. I felt so grateful for having just enough talent and willingness to do it, to express something beautiful to those who were mourning. To serve something greater than myself.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2019, 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

My condolences for the loss of your friend and have a blast at his celebration of life, play your ass off.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 7:21 pm 

UPDATE.

Well, the "celebration" was last Monday, a week ago. I drove to Baton Rouge and ran into Eddie Pennington, a Hall of Famer (Thumb picking) from Mulhenberg county, Kentucky, along with his son Alonzo. (plenty on youtube) Later, Richard Smith walked in and all three set up ready to play (another Hall of Famer, plenty on youtube), and last was Parker Hastings, yet another thumb picker (also on youtube). My old group picked for about 75-80 minutes, then the ceremony officially began. Eddie played one/sang one, Eddie and Alonzo played one, Richard was unreal on Over the Rainbow, and all four picked You Are My Sunshine. Jo-El Sonnier was there with his squeeze box and set in on a couple of songs with everyone.

The governor will lower the state flags to half mast sometime in March to honor Ted, and there were numerous state representatives and some national representatives in the audience as well, along with many state and federal judges. Ted was special.

Sad occasion, but really a great, fun night.

For a shameless plug, I carried my Mesa Boogie Subway D800+ head and Subway 2x12, and the drummer was floored by the sound and size of the rig. This has become my go-to rig unless playing outdoors when I might need more volume. Using a passive (active switched off) five string Sire MM. Great sound.