LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 11:52 am

Post subject: 78 P Ebay
PostPosted: May 19th, 2014, 4:36 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Left-Hande ... 258ed73369

Post subject: Re: 78 P Ebay
PostPosted: May 19th, 2014, 8:41 pm 

It's almost my teenage hero's bass. Paul Simonon of the Clash played a very similar one (when not playing the Ric or a version of this w/ the rosewood board).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/33338577/p ... clash-1979

As did Dee Dee Ramone.

http://www.uabcradio.mx/la-zona-fantasm ... e-sharif-y

Must have.

Any experts see any major issues here? Watch-outs?

Value? Pay as much as?

-JA

PostPosted: May 19th, 2014, 11:57 pm 

I was looking at that ebay ad yesterday. I don't see any major issues with this one.. the case doesn't look original, correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the 1970s Fender cases were covered in black tolex. The seller says "very heavy and solidly built" but the actual weight is not stated; mid-to-late 1970s Fender basses can be very heavy, I'd ask the seller to weigh the bass. You have to make the decision if the heavy weight is a problem for you. While you're asking I'd ask to show the neck stamp (S8 serial numbers were used up to the early 1980's so not all Fender basses with S8 serial were actually made in '78) and ask if the headstock serial matches the one under the pickguard; if yes then the pickguard is original. I won't bid on this because I'd have to pay a steep import charge (over $400 at current bid) and $120 shipping on top of the sale price (I'm posting from Finland, Europe).

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 5:56 am 

Good price for what looks to be a nice bass. You don't see many late-'70s P-Basses in white. As Pete advised, ask what's the weight, if that could be an issue for you. These vary from 9 lb to 12 lb. . .

I would ask the seller to take pictures of the truss rod nut (at the end of the fretboard). If the nut looks messed-with and is deeply inside the cavity, chances are the neck is not straight and could be a problem setting up with low action, if you care about that. The pickups most likely will be microphonic, so you will need to rewax them or replace them.

You want the nut to look like this:

Or this, where the nut if flush or almost flush with the neck:

Even like this is fine, but you don't want it to be really deep into that cavity and looks like it has been adjusted to death:

Although, having a deeply inset nut does not mean 100% that you will have a messed up neck. It could have repairs and it may play fine. Just in my experience with vintage Fender and vintage reissues, I've come across at least four of them with bad necks, and all of them had a deeply set truss rod nut.

Sorry for the ambiguous advice. :D

If you can get the seller to take a picture of the nut, and take a picture of the neck at an angle that show you how straight it is, that should give you an idea.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 9:05 am 

I'm about to confuse you even more... :lol:

With these solid maple necked 70's basses, I'd ALSO be wary if the truss rod nut looks like it's backed out too far. I've had THREE 70's p-basses that had bad back-bow and it would not correct itself with ZERO tension on the truss rod and extra heavy strings. And since the neck is solid one-piece maple, it can't be fixed with heat treatments... the only way to do it is to take off the frets, plane the neck and refret it.

If I was you, I would look into the new American Design Experience, especially if it's mainly the look of Dee Dee's bass you want. You can't get an exact match, but you can come really, really close... and you also get all of the benefits of modern construction and electronics, better hardware, a Fender hardshell case and a limited lifetime warranty for only $100 more than the bass in the eBay listing.

Attachment:
p-bass.jpg
p-bass.jpg [ 201.71 KiB | Viewed 8215 times ]

Go here to check it out... I've already ordered two of them. :shock:

:lol:

http://www.fender.com/american-design/configurator/

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 9:16 am 

My friends.....the bass in question adjusts at the headstock, not by the pickguard.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 9:26 am 

It does?

Attachment:
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG [ 37.94 KiB | Viewed 8206 times ]

:?

Um, I don't think so.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Last edited by Addison on May 20th, 2014, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 9:26 am 

Moses wrote:
My friends.....the bass in question adjusts at the headstock, not by the pickguard.

No it doesn't

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 10:10 am 

My friends...no it doesn't.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 1:12 pm 

There is something to be said about "mass" on an older maple J or P neck. The attack, the sustain, the fullness. I have owned several American Standard P's and being good passive basses, my 78' P neck killed them. I agree with Addison tho on the neck truss rod issues and heel, etc. going flunky thru the years (i.e. tension from strings, etc.) but something about the older necks. If you can find a good one, they kick ass!!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 4:22 pm 

Thanks all for the great serial number and truss rod advice! I have emailed.

Weight, while true, is not an issue for me. In fact, I prefer them heavy per the member who noted "mass."

While it might be ALL in my head, I buy into the "heavy/mass" equals some sonic positives.

For my Les Pauls (guitars, not basses), I like them all over 10lbs. And I think that 71-80 period where they are really heavy sound amazing and are under rated (good enough for Bolan, Ronson, Duffy, Jones, good enough for me).

I'll keep everyone posted.

As for the new American builds, I've drooled at them, but I've mostly been tempted to make copies of my vintage stuff so I can gig w/ them. I justify the $$$ as "investments" w/ the real vintage. Same as I do cars and watches. A new Rolex Submariner has some advantages over a 60s one, but the 60s one appreciates better than the stock market.

-J

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 6:18 pm 

I honestly can't see a well-played late 70's p-bass ever be worth more than a couple grand... at least not in this lifetime.

It'd have to be a pretty unique/special specimen to fetch much more than that... there's lots of them around and they come up for sale regularly.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 8:26 pm 

Ok friends I don't understand what this is.

Last edited by Moses on May 20th, 2014, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 8:33 pm 

Moses wrote:
Ok guys I don't understand what this is.

If Keef Richards played bass it would be a cigarette holder.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 8:59 pm 

That's what you call a walnut or rosewood plug from where the truss rod was inserted... However, the adjustment happens at the heel.

Here's a better pic of a 70's Tele with the same plug.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 9:25 pm 

My two cents: Buying a vintage Fender on Ebay without trying it exposes you to all kind of surprises. Addison could tell you the story of this infamous Antigua 1980 PBass with a messed up neck he bought and returned. So beware. I agree with him and would advise to go for an American design which will cost you the same and will most likely sound better and be better build (late 70's were often built in a sloppy way) In a nutshell this is what I say: Vintage Fender yes but only if you can check it in person because it is really like rolling the dice.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 10:39 pm 

Oh, I have no illusions of making huge $$$ on this, but what kind of a haircut do you take the minute you get the American Design? Fender sells them at full retail only, when other off the shelf American mades are 30%+ off a GC or Sam Ash. Like buying a new car and driving it off the lot.

That said, I also agree - for the most part - the American design will likely be better made and sound better.

AND, I agree about "hit or miss" on ebay." I bought an EBO o ebay years ago that was CRAP. I try to build in 10-20% "make it right" cost into the pricing, just like I do w/ vintage cars.

But, mojo cannot always be accounted for...

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 5:35 pm 

$1,600 and change. It's mine. I'll keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 11:21 am 

Congratulations! Look forward to hearing about it. I have the same bass, but a '77 -- original owner. If any of your tuners are bad, I happen to have an extra I bought directly from Fender back then and I no longer have a need for it. It matches your '78, but slightly different design from those on my '77.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 10:17 am 

drool :shock: :!: want it!