LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:24 am

Post subject: ATK305L in Germany....
PostPosted: March 14th, 2012, 2:26 pm 

http://www.ebay.de/itm/190650566640?ssP ... 1423.l2649

As most of you know by now, I've been Jones-ing to own an Ibanez ATK305L for several years now. Jeroen made me aware of this one in Germany, and, as much as I would like to bid on this, I feel it would take too much time and effort to send the seller cash, and then figure out a way to get it shipped here to Hawaii. So, I offer this up to my fellow lefties in the European arena. Hopefully one day a 305L will pop up in the US market.... :( ;)

Post subject: Re: ATK305L in Germany....
PostPosted: March 18th, 2012, 6:50 pm 

With the behind-the-scenes help of Jeroen, I am now the Very Proud owner of this Bass! It will take some time and doing to get it from Germany to Hawaii, but I can't wait to strap this on and play it! Thanks again Jeroen! :mrgreen: :D 8-)

PostPosted: March 18th, 2012, 11:29 pm 

Congrat man! You've been waiting for this one, you deserve it!

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 4:45 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Congrat man! You've been waiting for this one, you deserve it!

That sure is true! Now starts the long process of getting it shipped to Hawaii.... will keep y'all posted on progress....

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 7:00 am 

Wow, congrats!!!

I saw this listing and started gassing pretty hard for it... but I can't spend any money right now. :oops:

Even though the 4-stringer I had weighed like 11 lbs, it sounded great.

Anyway, I'm glad it's staying in the "family" so to speak!!!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm 

Addison wrote:
Wow, congrats!!!

I saw this listing and started gassing pretty hard for it... but I can't spend any money right now. :oops:

Even though the 4-stringer I had weighed like 11 lbs, it sounded great.

Anyway, I'm glad it's staying in the "family" so to speak!!!

Thanks Addison! If it wasn't for Jereon stepping in and being my "agent" in Europe, this deal would never have happened! I told him what I was willing to spend, so he became my "proxy bidder". Once the bass was won, he let me know the amount ($469.55 + 32.12= 501.67) to send through Paypal, which I've done. Jereon has kindly offered to take care of the shipping/paperwork from his city, once the ATK is shipped from Germany to him. The hardcase stays with Jereon (I have two Ibanez cases already!), and he'll pull the neck off the body to reduce the size of the package.

I'm imagining shipping will run $150 or so... so the bass will cost me a total of $650-to-$750 in the high-end once it arrives at my door.... still a great price for a very unique and killer bass! I can't thank Jeroen enough for acting on my behalf, and trusting me - half a world away! This is why our Lefty forum is so great! We are our own "Band Of Brothers"!

Will keep you all posted as this incredible story develops..... ;)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 5:53 pm 

awesome bass, and awesome teamwork! Congrats!

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm 

Stingray5 wrote:
awesome bass, and awesome teamwork! Congrats!

Thanks, but all the Congrats go to Jereon at this point, because without him, and his willingness to help me, this thread and auction would have faded into oblivion... and I'd still be Jones-ing for an ATK305L. I'm still pinching myself, and getting used to the idea that this bass will soon be in my hands.... Wow! :lol:

PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 3:01 am 

Stop spelling my name wrong :P

And it's you who's entrusting me his money, that requires some bravery too ;)
The payment has been made, so I hope the bass will arrive here soon.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 3:32 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Stop spelling my name wrong :P

And it's you who's entrusting me his money, that requires some bravery too ;)
The payment has been made, so I hope the bass will arrive here soon.

Geez, Jeroen, you're right! I know how to spell your name, it's that left-brain, typing thing going on! Sorry! :lol:

PostPosted: March 25th, 2012, 4:24 pm 

As an update to this ATK purchase, Jeroen informed me on the 23rd that the seller had shipped the bass to him, so I suspect it will be at Jeroen's on Monday of Tuesday.... after that, he's going to take the neck off to reduce the size of the shipping package, let me know the shipping cost so I can Paypal him more cash, and then it will be on its way to the balmy shores of Oahu, Hawaii! Trying to contain my excitement! :D

PostPosted: March 28th, 2012, 12:46 am 

I got an email from the front desk at my office half an hour ago telling me a big package was delivered for me this morning 8-)
I'm picking it up on my way home this afternoon!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2012, 2:56 am 

Jeroen wrote:
I got an email from the front desk at my office half an hour ago telling me a big package was delivered for me this morning 8-)
I'm picking it up on my way home this afternoon!

Thanks for the update Jeroen! Looking forward to some pics, and your impression of the bass. If you want to plug it in and play it a bit for a comparison to yours, by all means do, and let me know how it sounds/feels!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2012, 2:41 pm 

Jeroen sent me these pics of the shipped ATK305L from the seller in Germany. To save on shipping, the case will stay with Jeroen (although it's mighty purty!), and the neck will come off to reduce the size of the shipping package. Next stop Hawaii! 8-)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2012, 5:13 am 

I haven't had much time in the last couple of days since it arrived here, but I'm gathering packaging materials right now, and as soon as I find some free time during my work (most shippers are only open on weekdays) I'm getting it shipped!

Just a quick question some of you guys may be able to answer: I will remove the neck to keep the package as small as I can. Is it recommended to loosen the truss rod to compensate for taking the string tension completely off, or can I just send it with the truss rod tension still on?

In the mean time, enjoy this rare sight :)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2012, 5:15 am 

Oh, I forgot to mention: Ian's is the one to the right in the group shot, and in the top on the shot of the two 305's :)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2012, 5:23 am 

Hey Jeroen, I just happen to still be up (though truth be told, I seldom go to bed before 3am!).... thanks for the pictures, that's a very rare sight indeed!

Yes, you should loosen the truss rod before shipping. Speaking of shipping, nothing like a regular job getting in the way of the important things in life... like packing up and sending on a beautiful bass! I feel like a young boy, waiting for Christmas to come, knowing that "Santa" is going to bring me that shiny new bike I've always wanted.

Thanks again Santa! :D

PostPosted: April 4th, 2012, 6:43 pm 

An Update -

Jeroen has informed he's got the bass dis-assembled, packed up and ready to go out as soon as he can get to the shippers office. He's packed this think up like you wouldn't believe... as you can see from the pictures below, I think it should survive the trip fairly well! :lol: Thanks for the great packing job Jeroen!

I think a truck could drive over this package at this point and it would survive...!

Taped up and ready to go....

All the necessary shipping documents are in order....

PostPosted: April 4th, 2012, 6:52 pm 

Dude, you're gonna owe him big time! I think Jeroen got a place to stay in Hawaii for his next vacations...

PostPosted: April 4th, 2012, 11:35 pm 

There's so much bubblewrap in there, there's absolutely no movement at all possible within the box. Wouldn't want stuff to move and shake around inside the box. The small boxes I used to keep the neck in position on top of the body. The neck bolts, ferrules and the strings that were on the bass are in an envelope so they can't damage anything. And just to be sure, I included all eBay and PayPal invoices for customs in case they pick it out.

I don't trust airport personnel ;)

Without the case, the weight was reduced to about half of what it was and the size is about two thirds of how it arrived here. That should save a lot of costs and trouble (many shippers don't accept long boxes) :)