The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 6:18 pm

Post subject: Carvin Fretless Six String
PostPosted: December 27th, 2011, 1:15 am 

Looks Nice! Two days left....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvin-Bass-Gui ... 5209260550

Post subject: Re: Carvin Fretless Six String
PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 11:25 am 

The person that is selling this bass sounds suspect. I posted a question after the seller said that the lines were "painted" on to the fingerboard. I asked if they were the white plastic inlaid lines which Carvin uses and I'm sure they are. Here is the response:

"Your right it fretless, it's like a plastic lines, about the type of good really we do not sure.
tks
Casey"

Obviously English is not the seller's string suit, which is certainly not a crime, but it seems a little off to me. Anybody have any experience with this seller, supergooddeals4u?

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 12:48 pm 

markcv wrote:
The person that is selling this bass sounds suspect. I posted a question after the seller said that the lines were "painted" on to the fingerboard. I asked if they were the white plastic inlaid lines which Carvin uses and I'm sure they are. Here is the response:

"Your right it fretless, it's like a plastic lines, about the type of good really we do not sure.
tks
Casey"

Obviously English is not the seller's string suit, which is certainly not a crime, but it seems a little off to me. Anybody have any experience with this seller, supergooddeals4u?

He seems to have a very strong rating.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 1:39 pm 

markcv wrote:

tks
Casey"

My Carvin seems to not have inlaid lines. I would not be able to describe them other than "painted" on. I can sort of see where the seller is coming from.

Also he has 10,000+ 100% feedback >.> This guy is probably a pawn dealer or something and doesn't speak English well

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

If it came from the factory as a lined fretless, then I'm 99.4% certain that your bass has plastic inlayed fret-lines.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 4:07 pm 

Addison wrote:
If it came from the factory as a lined fretless, then I'm 99.4% certain that your bass has plastic inlayed fret-lines.

what's the other 0.4% for? :D

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 5:25 pm 

blankrider wrote:
markcv wrote:

Also he has 10,000+ 100% feedback >.> This guy is probably a pawn dealer or something and doesn't speak English well

I think you're right on the pawn dealer aspect. I went to his online store, and his auctions feature a diverse selection of items.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 10:22 pm 

Hmmm... maybe I was a bit harsh. I just always find it annoying when a place like this sells an instrument and doesn't really know what they have or how to describe it properly. Yes, you guys are probably right... some sort of pawn situation. If the price stays down in this area somebody COULD be getting a screaming deal.

I had a 6 string Carvin LB76 once and it had the inlaid plastic lines. I couldn't get to grips with the plastic lines. It always seemed to me that they were just a hair proud of the fingerboard. I think if you're going to use plastic lines then it might be best to do the epoxy treatment on the fingerboard, like a Pedulla Buzz bass.