LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 7th, 2024, 5:57 pm

Post subject: Ibanez PGB1L-TK (ATK)
PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 7:41 am 

Never seen a translucent orange Paul Gray before, and certainly never seen one with an additional J PUP either. Seller claims it's a custom order, so the layout must be similar to an ATK400 or 700?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320778554980?ss ... 1423.l2649

Post subject: Re: Ibanez PGB1L-TK (ATK)
PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 7:57 am 

i love it :D

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 8:26 am 

Reading up on how the older ATK400's setup worked, however, it seems like the bass had limited PUP options with the 5 way switch, since you should be able to have 7 sounds theoretically and I believe you had no option of combining the J PUP with the 2nd coil of the MM PUP or with the humbucker setting either (only combination offered was the J PUP with the bridge SC of the MM PUP). But that might be an easy mod, though IMO the bass should have been designed with a simple PUP blend knob or 2nd volume knob for the J PUP instead.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 2:26 pm 

Awesome.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 3:14 pm 

Did the original Paul Gray's come with the "90's neck? Thought they only came with the newer neck with the open tension adjust-bolt at the body end. Looks like someone took an original '95 and had it customized. Still, it is a beauty! Would love to own it, but I'm holding out for finding an ATK 305 some day......

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 6:57 pm 

That is not a '90's neck. The walnut stripe and volute are not on the '90's ATKs.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 12:29 am 

That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'm a total ATK nut, but I've never been aware these existed!

Something odd about the model name though. TK stands for Transparent blacK which this clearly isn't.
This is the true PGB1L TK (well, without the L :oops:):

I wonder if this really is a one-off custom order or if there could be more. I can't find anything on the net about this one. But I love it!

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 8:13 am 

Curious as to why somebody would mod the serial number on the back of the headstock. It looks like it's been Photoshopped with the two x's.

Attachments:
515561688_o.jpg
515561688_o.jpg [ 84.45 KiB | Viewed 8623 times ]
PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 11:17 am 

I have the same sentiment. I own an ATK300--fantastic player and a real workhorse-- from 1996 and I, too, wonder why the serial number section is curiously 'fishy'. What's to hide, I'd like to know!?

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 3:41 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
That is not a '90's neck. The walnut stripe and volute are not on the '90's ATKs.

I see the Maple stringer now, but what is the Volute you're referring to? Also, because the truss-rod is in the headstock position, what bass would this neck have come from? I wasn't aware that ATK's came with anything other than solid maple necks. A truly custom neck, designed and shaped to mimic an ATK? That's also why I think there is no legitimate serial number/decal.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 4:18 pm 

Also, I noticed that Ebay ATK doesn't have the complete wording on the headstock. It shows this;

Whereas a stock ATK has the wording "ATK Series" over the Ibanez name, like this;

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 5:29 pm 

markcv wrote:
Curious as to why somebody would mod the serial number on the back of the headstock. It looks like it's been Photoshopped with the two x's.

It is to protect the future owner of the instrument. It is easy for someone to report that bass stolen with that serial number.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2011, 5:41 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
danomite64 wrote:

I see the Maple stringer now, but what is the Volute you're referring to? Also, because the truss-rod is in the headstock position, what bass would this neck have come from? I wasn't aware that ATK's came with anything other than solid maple necks. A truly custom neck, designed and shaped to mimic an ATK? That's also why I think there is no legitimate serial number/decal.

I really think you're wrong about it being a fake. The volute is that 'bump' on the back of the neck at the nut. The mid-90's ATK's had no volute. The PGB1's do have it, and maybe the current ATK's do too. In any case, that neck has to be real; the asymmetrical heel and headstock would be reversed if it were off a higher end ATK. The serial number is real (except for the 'xx', which has already been explained) and the 'LA' is consistent with other custom ordered Ibanez instruments I've seen. There are a few other differences between this bass and the '90's ATK; the string ferrules are different, and so is the back control cover. The output jack route isn't counterbored like my '94 ATK is, and it's closer to the bridge than mine is. The bass just shouts out 'custom shop' to me.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2011, 10:54 pm 

Hey Dano, certainly not implying this is a fake. As you say, this has got to be a custom-shop made ATK, so I'm very curious as to the construction methods, materials, neck, etc. If I had the scratch, and I preferred four's over five's, I'd love to own this bass! However, I would really like to know the "provenance" behind this bass/build order.... who commissioned it, why the neck with the maple stringer was decided upon... I'm learning so much more from this thread about one of my favorite bass models... ;)

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 8:33 am 

I think only endorsees can order a custom shop instrument. The bass is in L.A., which might be where the custom shop is based on the serial number, so maybe Paul Gray ordered it before he died and the shop sold it to someone local, or something like that. The seller probably knows.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2011, 10:25 pm 

Looks awesome!.... it might borrow some mojo from the new-ish (NAMM 2011) ATK 1200 prestige. Looks like it could be a 1200 body (modified knobs though?) with the PGB1 neck (or stock ATK neck), done in the style of one of Paul's ATK's..dunno. Anyway, I love it... :)

Attachments:
File comment: Paul giving it some with his trusty ATK..
30009_406780227272_109637917272_4559821_2907644_n.jpg
30009_406780227272_109637917272_4559821_2907644_n.jpg [ 85.2 KiB | Viewed 8428 times ]
File comment: The ATK 1200 Prestige
ATK1200_NT_00_01.png
ATK1200_NT_00_01.png [ 227.92 KiB | Viewed 8430 times ]

PostPosted: October 25th, 2011, 1:13 am 

Not entirely, the new ATK1200 has a slightly different (sleeker) bodyshape with sharper edges than the old ATK's and the PGB :)
The body is less wide (my ATK's don't fit inside a Fender G&G case, a new one will). The PGB is more true to the old ATK300.

On the ATK1200: I think it's cool they finally stepped down from that more compact bridge that used to come on the old twin-pickup ATK's. They're finally offering these with the humbucker in the same position as on the regular single-pickup ATK's, whereas older models used to have the humbucker mounted much closer to the bridge.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2011, 5:20 pm 

now with a starting price of $595 which is more reasonable