LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 12:28 pm

Post subject: 70s Jazz Bass Body
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 10:17 pm 

Kind of cool. What's with that edge-of-a-lasagna-noodle thing going on with the neck pickup rout I wonder?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-1972-VINTAGE-LE ... 7252wt_907

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: 70s Jazz Bass Body
PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 7:51 am 

$1000 BIN on a refin body?

Uhm... that dude can keep dreaming.

To me, it looks like someone widened both pickup cavities to fit different pickups in there... both cavities look REALLY sloppy and done without any kind of templates.

I know that the Fender guys were probably doing a bunch of blow and dancing disco all night in the 70's, as evidenced by some common neck joint issues on 70's basses, but... that's one of the shottiest route jobs I've ever seen on any kind of production instrument.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 9:25 am 

there's a lot of weirdness going on with that body, including a very poor attempt at a MK refinish (were they short on paint, or was the intent to do a MK burst?)

what happened to the neck pocket? maybe this bass has been played in a damp climate and they needed to install a french drain around the foundation?

and it looks like somebody sneezed while routing the pickup cavities. I can see Fender passing QC on the neck route since it would be covered with a pickguard, but I can't see them letting the bridge route out the door. this body is either a salvage from the reject bin, heavily modified by someone without woodworking skills, or a forgery

I also find it interesting the the 70's tug bar holes appear to not have had screws run into them, but that the user added thumb rest holes are used. maybe it's just how the body was refinished and there's filler in the original tug bar holes, but they look pretty pristine in this image

and lastly, it's too bad that this was assembled without utilizing a neck mounting plate. with all of the other weirdness going on, these probably don't make much difference to the value of this body ... but it does go a long way to give you insight about the character of the one who previously reassembled this after its refinish

buyer beware on this one :?

(an not meaning to offend, should this belong to somebody on list here ... I need a coffee to rid me of my critical eye this morning)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: February 24th, 2011, 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Addison wrote:
I know that the Fender guys were probably doing a bunch of blow and dancing disco all night in the 70's, as evidenced by some common neck joint issues on 70's basses, but...

Rodent wrote:
what happened to the neck pocket? maybe this bass has been played in a damp climate and they needed to install a french drain around the foundation?

Two legit LOL's for me in this thread. :D