LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 9th, 2024, 7:33 pm

Post subject: Um, this is used and isn't this a "new" price???
PostPosted: October 6th, 2010, 11:04 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Del ... 3a5f56eb26

Maybe I'm wrong because it's a delux but is there that big of a difference??

Post subject: Re: Um, this is used and isn't this a "new" price???
PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 8:35 am 

There are pretty huge differences between the Deluxe and the Standard... the Deluxe has active electronics, a smaller body with deeper cutaways, 5-bolt neck plate, mother of pearl markers, lightweight tuners, string-through body option, and maybe a couple more things.

But... yeah, the BIN is still on the crazy side, IMO.

They are definitely great basses (I was about to go for one before I found my first CS)... and they are now discontinued... but, that price is a little ambitious, IMO.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 10:38 am 

Here's another (no affiliation):
Fender jazz bass left handed lefty Leo Quan Badass II Bridge+Seymours ($565/bin$635)
"If purchased at "Buy It Now" price, I will include a bonus!!! I will throw in the White Pickguard and original Fender Jazz Pickups for Free!!!"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Nothing wrong with the listing but might be more effective to remove mods and sell as close to stock as possible.
(Recent eBay sales history of MIM Jazz basses falling below $300...)

PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 12:32 pm 

They have exactly the same bass at Southpaw. Listed for $1,899. It is a discountinued model but Musiciansfriend had them listed for $1,800 two years ago.

I own one, it is an excellent JB especially the most recent ones with the 18V preamp. I also replaced the bridge with a Badass III. I was gigging with it last night thinking, "man this bass does sound great!"

I think a realistic price for a used one is around $950.

http://www.southpawguitars.com/jazzusablk.html

PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 9:04 pm 

If I could get my hands on a USA 5 string Fender jazz I would most likely have a few. I think that bass looks sweet without having too be boutique. Too long on 5's n 6's for me I guess. It's like chicken wings with no hot sauce with a 4 banger in my hands....feels like something is missing. DANG IT!

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 10:12 am 

Price Drop :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Del ... 3a5fadec0a

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 12:18 pm 

There was also a lefty MIM deluxe version of this bass released, albeit very briefly. Rarer than the MIA models.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 3:21 pm 

I had few of these, from the late '90s to 2007 or so. The early ones came in nice colors: white, natural. . . but they had really bad fret work. These had really thick necks, like narrow baseball bats.

I then had a few newer one. One of them was my main bass for awhile. l loved the sound, although they were noisy, even though the pickups were humbucking. I'm guessing lack of proper shielding. The Samarium Cobalt pickups were not as alive and dynamic as AlNiCo or ceramic pickups, but they did the job.

The one thing that made me pass them on was the 22 frets. The smaller body combined with the 22 frets made for a really long reach to the first fret. I don't mind that on 5-strings, but on 4-strings it's a deal breaker for me - too uncomfortable. I miss mine sometimes, but I much prefer the regular Jazz body size.

I sold my last one for $950 maybe three years ago. I remember buying them used for $750, and even bought a last generation new one from Musicians Friend for $900. The later ones had really nice fret work, and were very light weight. Then came the Fender price increase across the board and these went up to $1500.

These are like the Hot Rod P-Basses: nobody wanted them when they were available, and now there are "rare."

Last edited by Lefty007 on October 18th, 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 4:27 pm 

Mine is 1999 American Deluxe. I bought it from Height Asbury Music in SF in 2001 when lefties American Jazz Basses were no longer being sold and before being re-introduced in 2005. I have never cared for Active Jazz Basses and the 9v preamp on the first generation was absolutely horrible so I turned it into a passive bass. I did not like the noiseless pickups either, they were silent indeed but totally "lifeless" too. I replaced them by Lindy Frailins. All in all, between the pickups, the electronic and the Badass III bridge, my bass does not sound anything like it did when I bought it. I really love the sound now (like a very good passive Jazz) but it did cost me way too much. All this because I wanted a passive Jazz Bass and that Fender was showing us lefties the finger.
I tried a recent one in a store, like the one being sold, with the 18V preamp, the cobalt pickups, the 5 bolt neck...it did sound much, much better. Very close to a Sadowsky I would say.