LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 10th, 2024, 8:26 am

Post subject: NEW Kingston Z Bass 5'er for $692.57?!?!
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 6:49 am 

Yup... Amazon.com is clearancing out a bunch of basses and this one was in there... not my cup'o'tea, but I know some of you guys dig these.

http://www.amazon.com/MTD-Kingston-Guit ... 63&sr=1-29

Only 3 left in stock...

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: NEW Kingston Z Bass 5'er for $692.57?!?!
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 7:47 am 

Good price, crappy bass LOL
i just never dug it when i played one. Now, if it was $399, I might pull the trigger, but I don't think they are worth more than $400

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 1:01 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Good price, crappy bass LOL
i just never dug it when i played one. Now, if it was $399, I might pull the trigger, but I don't think they are worth more than $400

Yeah, I have to concur. I ONLY paid $625.00 for mine, so I guess I overspent by $225. :lol: It seemed like a bargain at the time considering what the average price is, but the preamp/EQ is inexcusably poor. A completely useless sounding bass unless you've got everything fully up. I guess if I dropped an Aguilar preamp in there I'd still be ahead of the game, but I have a real problem with basses going for over $1000 that still require further mods just to get playable. :x

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 1:13 pm 

Great LOOKING basses but yeah, I finally got to try one ( a righty but same thing) and the tone was crap. Wonder also if it would help to run it flat thru something like a external sadowsky preamp?

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 1:27 pm 

OK gentlemen I must beg to differ...let me add some balance to the proceedings :lol: ... I'm rather fond of my 2 MTDs. When I got my original black Kingston 4 it was immediately one of the most absolutely comfortable and enjoyable basses from a neck feel / action / playability standpoint I've ever owned. The original passive electronics have since been replaced with Bartolini active, and the bridge to a string thru, and this bass flat out rips. There's still certain (especially fast/ jazzy/ funky/ thumb) stuff that's easier to play on this than just about anything else I own. I gotta do something about that pickguard though- maybe black pearl, or clear...

My Kingston Z5 I am a somewhat less fond of primarily because I've never really made the commitment to become a proficient 5 string player- I wouldn't say the preamp is it's strong suit by any means, but I'm not having any major issues with finding a good tone, and I love the string spacing and balance.

I would agree the MTDs are over-priced by 30-35% at retail, but when the price is right I'm guessing there's a few other people out there besides me who like these basses (and if not- hey that's fine too)......

UPDATE: Thanks for the heads up Addison-- Just moments ago I grabbed this Transparent Cherry Heir 4 string on that same Amazon direct deal for $455.69 w/ free shipping. There was only 2 still available when I saw it (I bought one and the last one went 2 minutes later). You can still see it listed if you do a Google Shopping Results search for "MTD Kingston Heir Bass 4 left" but when you click on it Amazon direct is now sold out and the lowest available seller price on Amazon is $889.00. If anyone has any right handed friends that are interested there are still some righties available at that sale price. Everything Lefty is back at full price except the Kingston Z5 Fretless with Lines that Addison mentioned (3 left at $692.67) ...

...and the Kingston Artist 5 (2 left at $400.42)...
http://www.amazon.com/MTD-Kingston-Arti ... 705&sr=8-4

Attachments:
MTD Heir.jpg
MTD Heir.jpg [ 18.72 KiB | Viewed 3470 times ]
MTD Kingston custom active...jpg
MTD Kingston custom active...jpg [ 186.95 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]
MTD Kingston Z5...jpg
MTD Kingston Z5...jpg [ 208.33 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 5:58 pm 

Thanks for the heads up Addison, that is or was a great deal and nice of you to take the time to post. I had a 6 stringer and was nice man and the neck was the best 6r neck for the $$ I think you could find.