LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 16th, 2024, 4:33 pm

Post subject: Stagg EUB
PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 9:44 am 

I bought a Stagg EUB from adirondack guitars about 6 months ago. They did a "lefty conversion" on it for like 35$ and it's been a great deal. The bass itself has a few minor problems, like the endpin rattling sometimes (doesn't go through amp) and a very sensitive piezo pickup (which i like). As far as the upright feel goes, this one definitely captures it. The neck radius feels perfect and it's an even radiused neck (no e string scoop). It doesn't sound just like an upright but rather a fretless bass / upright bass hybrid.

For 560$ it is definitely worth it.

Post subject: Re: Stagg EUB
PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 2:59 pm 

I started a thread on this bass a month or two ago - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1692 - and was disappointed that they didn't make a lefty. I thought that for the price, the Stagg had a very realistic upright sound, based on the video I saw.

Would like to see pictures of the conversion. did they reverse the metal side pieces, or are you just playing it on the stand? I thought that might be the way to go.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2010, 6:37 pm 

They redrilled holes for the body piece, but the "12th fret" attachment was sorta just forgotten. I find that not having that 12th fret body piece doesn't bother me, as i do'nt have to go into thumb position. If you are used to playing upright in thumb it may be annoying, but the way the bass is designed it's nice to hit the high register without using the thumb.

The bridge was reversed and the nut also. The conversion itself is pretty simple. I will post some pictures tomorrow. One thing that i'm very pissed about is that the Stagg bag strap broke and i took a chip (cosmetic) out of the headstock.

I can post some sound clips of me just doodling tomorrow

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 5:38 pm 

Here is a sound clip of me doodling. Starts on a walk then just goes into whatever i was feeling at the time. Nothing special effect wise, just raw sound

http://www.wikiupload.com/V2xDajHH

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 5:11 am 

thanks for the clip. I'm still interested in this bass. Can you post some close-up pictures of the modifications when you get a chance. I'm debating whether I want to do the mods myself, or let Adirondack do it. Thanks....

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 8:03 am 

alrighty i'll try to get to them today. I have a feeling that I could have done the mods and i'm not a very handy person. All you need is the right size surgical hosing for the body piece to fit snug in the body. I think it's a 1/4" hole with a 1/4" diameter hose with 1/8" diameter opening.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 10:38 am 

Very cool. I'm tempted myself.

Regarding the tone, I agree it has sort of a hybrid sound. I've heard that changing the strings to a more traditional upright string (i.e. D'Addario Helicore) can make a world of difference on these EUBs. Have you experimented with different strings yet?

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 10:55 am 

no i haven't. I'm 18 and very broke :P

If you want to send me some old strings for the sake of experiment / making my bass sound better then i will surely accept

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 2:37 pm 

Been there, kid. They have these miraculous little plastic cards that can obtain anything you can dream of, which I highly recommend. You simply can't call yourself a musician unless you've defaulted on a credit card while in your teens and spent the next decade thereafter paying 4 times more for your items in interest like I did. It's the American way. ;)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 3:17 pm 

lol i'm trying to avoid that. But since you seem so loose with your cards you should just charge them for me :lol: