http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/5421.html

Deliciousness!

Post subject: Re: Sadowsky In Stock
PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Nice!

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 3:10 pm 

Yup, was gonna post this. If she only had 1 more string. It's $3775 guys plus $60 ground shipping Lower 48.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 3:12 pm 

Inca Silver with a black pickguard.... Oh my...!!!!!! :shock:

Glad its only a 4 string or my GAS pains would erupt again.... ha!!!

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 4:53 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Inca Silver with a black pickguard.... Oh my...!!!!!! :shock:

Glad its only a 4 string or my GAS pains would erupt again.... ha!!!

+1 billion

:lol:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 5:54 pm 

Man, I love Sadowskys. I still salivate when I see one, but after having three of them, I think it's obvious they are not for me. . . If I had money to spare I would definitely order me one to my specs.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 6:43 am 

Lefty007 wrote:
Man, I love Sadowskys. I still salivate when I see one, but after having three of them, I think it's obvious they are not for me. . . If I had money to spare I would definitely order me one to my specs.

whys that bond, lefty bond?
i'm actually thinking about going up there next week to check this one out.....but the new will lee model looks right down my alley too....
any enlightenment?

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 8:04 am 

Lefty007 wrote:

I'm that exact way with Warwick basses, so I know exactly what you mean.

I just love to look at them and still get occasional GAS pains, but it doesn't take too long before the haze clears and I remember why I got rid of them to begin with.

But if I ever find a six-string Streamer Stage I with a one piece bridge and stainless steel frets, it's MINE!!!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 9:52 am 

Personally i do not understand what all the fuss about Sadowsky's is about. I've never played a lefty one, but have honked on lots of righty's. I just don't get it. the build quality is great, but tonally, it just leaves me empty. I'd rather buy an Alleve-Coppola (sp) or Norstrand.

I am aware of the Sadowky history and heritage, but can anyone fill me in on why these are such revered basses?

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 10:30 am 

My experience:

I first had a Standard 4-string, alder, 4A quilted maple top, brazilian board. . . I mean, the thing was simply gorgeous. Super light. My problem with that one was that I don't like smaller Jazz bodies, and, these basses are hollowed. I didn't like the response of a hollowed body when slapping. It's like the body absorbs all the energy from the slap, and you don't get a quick response. The slap sound was great out of the speakers, but it "felt" weird. I confirmed this when I got the other two Sadowskys. Another thing I didn't like was the 12" radius. I prefer a rounder radius on 4-strings.

The sound, though, was phenomal, like nothing else. Sadowskys have incredible clarity and punch, and to me they are simply the best sounding basses in a band context. But I felt sometimes they were too clean, too perfect. . . It was hard for me to get that little fret buzz you get on other basses when you dig in (ala Marcus Miller), and that to me is a big part of expressing yourself.

I also had two 5-24. The main reason I let those go is because 5-strings with full string spacing at the bridge at too wide for me, and I just couldn't deal with the neck, although they are very thin and playable. I was never a fan of the 5-24 pickup configuration either, with the neck pickup so close to the bridge. And I experienced the same phenomena as with the 4-string when slapping: it just didn't quite have the quick response I'm used to, which you get from any other bass with a solid body. Of course, you can order Sadowskys with solid bodies.

I got those three Sadowskys used but in as-new condition, and they were all south of $3000, so they were a very good deal when I bought them.

I did extensive comparisons with other basses, anything from MTD and Smith, to passive Fenders, and again, the Sadowskys have this clarity, punch and hugeness that are unparallel, but I always felt the sound wasn't "me." Hard to explain.

If Sadowsky made 5-string basses with 17 mm spacing and neck with a width at the last fret around 2.75", I would definitely consider getting one, with a solid body. . .

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 5:02 pm 

Pricey bland Fender copy with only 4 strings that easily blends in to a crowd with a reputation for exceeding its actual performance in a real pretty color. Wow this is perfect. Yeh I know you don't have to say it ;) . That's why there is vanilla and chocolate, different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 5:14 pm 

That thing is really cool, but damn it seems overpriced. seems like you could build nearly the exact same thing with Warmoth parts for a fraction of the cost. I've always wanted to try a Sadowsky though, just never priced them. Didn't realize they were so expensive.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

thumbslam wrote:
with only 4 strings

4 is all you need. ;)

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 5:36 pm 

Shoot, 1 string is all you need if your fast... ha!!
Sorry, had to say it.. One of those days! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 6:02 pm 

"4 are all you need" you are absolutely right.

That's why after I just sold a bunch of stuff still I have 5 basses with 5 or more strings.

If I was driving down the road of reason and I came across the exit for "enough and perfectly reasonable" I would unbuckle my seatbelt let it flap out the window, crack a beer, light a smoke (of some kind) click on my high beams into oncoming traffic, hit the gas burry the speedometer and give the next cop I saw on the road the finger. Sorry actually I am I nice guy but I'm from Philly and we JUST LOST THE WORD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

"I am aware of the Sadowky history and heritage, but can anyone fill me in on why these are such revered basses?" The logo sticker is made out of unubtainium I think.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 6:28 pm 

wait ... do I get this right ... just a day after Game 6 of the World Series ... a Phillies fan is willing to patronize to a company firmly rooted in the land of the Yankees and Mets? Say it isn't so!!! :twisted:

all the best,

R

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 12:59 am 

Hi,

Sadowsky basses are pretty good basses!!
But IMHO ,the person just above me 8-) , offers tools that have not to be ashamed to face Sadowsky's ones!!for a better price and with serious options

Just my 2 cents ;)

Greettings

André

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 1:43 am 

You know, another option if you really like the Sadowsky tone is go with Nino Valenti basses. He works with Sadowsky Guitars building and does his own basses on the side ad is quite good at it. They are Sadowsky clones with Sadowsky preamp, pups and parts on request. AND.. Its half the pric of a NYC Sadowsky.

http://www.valentibasses.com/

Just my 2 cents here... I know a few that are interested in this bass but hot damn, near 4k for a 4 string non-exotic bass? It doesnt even have a top. :idea:

Shoot, you can build with lefty Warmoth parts and Sadowsky parts for $1200 TOTAL.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 9:06 am 
Site Admin

lefty68 wrote:
Hi,

Sadowsky basses are pretty good basses!!
But IMHO ,the person just above me 8-) , offers tools that have not to be ashamed to face Sadowsky's ones!!for a better price and with serious options

Just my 2 cents ;)

Greettings

André

What Andre said. I think Sadowskys are great basses and I've a lot of respect for them, but at this point the handful of Sadowsky basses I've tried didn't feel/sound as good as the Regenerate basses I've tried.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 9:15 am 

gravesbass wrote:
You know, another option if you really like the Sadowsky tone is go with Nino Valenti basses. He works with Sadowsky Guitars building and does his own basses on the side ad is quite good at it. They are Sadowsky clones with Sadowsky preamp, pups and parts on request. AND.. Its half the pric of a NYC Sadowsky.

http://www.valentibasses.com/

Just my 2 cents here... I know a few that are interested in this bass but hot damn, near 4k for a 4 string non-exotic bass? It doesnt even have a top. :idea:

Shoot, you can build with lefty Warmoth parts and Sadowsky parts for $1200 TOTAL.

I recently tried a Valenti 5-string. You are right, very Sadowsky-like. Great quality and sound, it sounded and felt 90% Sadowsky, BUT, the neck profile was very rounded and thick, nothing like a Sadowsky, and that is deal breaker to many.

BTW, Nino hasn't worked at Sadowsky for awhile, and when he did, he only did the final setup and shipping, not "building." But sure, he learned a lot being there.

Warmoth basses feel nothing like a Sadowsky. Their necks are thick, and tend to be heavy, and the fret work usually needs a good leveling and polishing to come close to a Sadowsky neck. You can put together a nice bass with Warmoth part, but it ain't gonna be no Sadowsky.

Man, this has been discussed to death at Talkbass. Sadowskys are like Mercedes-Benz. Sure, you can buy a Lexus or Infiniti and get all the luxury and ammenities for several thousands less, but an M-B is an M-B, and you know it when you drive one. ;) If you can afford it, you'll happily pay for one.

My two main basses right now cost me $400 each, and they make me very happy, but I still appreciate the level of craftmanship and precision that a Sadowsky offers. :ugeek: