LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:18 am

Post subject: Aria Pro II SB-1200 (SB-LTD?)
PostPosted: October 27th, 2022, 7:49 am 

I wasn't even aware this model existed, let alone in a lefty, so I did some research. (which was hard enough considering there's very little out there on these basses).

The earliest record I can find of the SB1200 is from the Aria Pro 1989 catalog, however, the first model had a PJ configuration. They also released the higher end SB-LTD model that year in conjunction with Alembic, which featured Alembic 2 AXY/AE 1 pickups and preamp, but 3 knobs and oval inlays. The earliest the SB1200 appears as a twin soapbar PUP model is 1990. (And the SB-LTD remained relatively unchanged). So I'm guessing the lefty for sale here is at least a 1990 or later. (Serial # would have been a sticker on the back of the headstock, and that appears to be gone, so no way of confirming its age). As the seller states, "This one was upgraded by the previous owner to the same three-knob Alembic pickup system that was in the SB-LTD models otherwise it appears all original." Except it has 4 knobs. So what is the 4th job doing? At any rate, the Alembic PUPs/preamp alone might be worth the price of admission. But it begs the questions:

-Could this LTD Alembic upgrade have been done at the factory or did the previous owner go to the length of installing the Alembic system themselves? That, in and of itself, would have been difficult to do given the difficulty in getting Alembic parts.
-Assuming the bass is the later 1990 model, then the Alembic PUPs would have been a direct drop in replacement. However, if you look at the neck PUP cavity, there's some bare wood showing. Could this just be wear (an odd place for it) or could it be this was an earlier '89 PJ model and the seller re-routed the cavities for the Alembic soap bars? If so, then that would reduce the value greatly.

At any rate, it's worth further investigation and reaching out to the seller. So if you do, I'd be curious to know what the story is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175463281126?h ... R7K5mpyDYQ

Post subject: Re: 1989/90? Aria Pro II SB-1200 (SB-LTD?)
PostPosted: October 27th, 2022, 7:50 am 

Catalog and specs:

Attachment:
sbltd1200.jpg
sbltd1200.jpg [ 150.97 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]

Post subject: Re: Aria Pro II SB-1200 (SB-LTD?)
PostPosted: October 27th, 2022, 8:43 pm 

A beautifully crafteed bass!

Post subject: Re: Aria Pro II SB-1200 (SB-LTD?)
PostPosted: October 30th, 2022, 2:24 pm 

It popped up on Reverb a lot cheaper than on Ebay
https://reverb.com/item/62580825-1989-a ... ral-walnut