Post subject: Warwick Streamer LX 5 -- $1,100 GC
PostPosted: October 4th, 2021, 11:49 am 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Warwi ... -Guitar.gc

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 79.26 KiB | Viewed 2974 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Warwick Streamer LX 5 -- $1,100 GC
PostPosted: October 4th, 2021, 11:57 am 

Needs better pics and a LOT more info :)
Looks like it has a brass original Just-a-Nut and the flush-mounted Dunlop strap locks, so probably fairly old (by all means before 2000). Possibly wenge neck. What's going on with that lower knob though? Shadow? Stacked knob? Not the usual spot for a stacked control knob on one of these with a 3-band EQ, and the LX comes stock with a 2-band.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 6:58 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Needs better pics and a LOT more info :)
Looks like it has a brass original Just-a-Nut and the flush-mounted Dunlop strap locks, so probably fairly old (by all means before 2000). Possibly wenge neck. What's going on with that lower knob though? Shadow? Stacked knob? Not the usual spot for a stacked control knob on one of these with a 3-band EQ, and the LX comes stock with a 2-band.

Agreed Jeroen! The width of the nut totally makes it look like the JAN 1 on my Fortress, and I too wonder what’s going on with that knob….

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 7:19 am 

Welp, somebody snagged it. If it shows back up in a week or two, we can take guesses at what's wrong with it :lol:

PostPosted: October 10th, 2021, 3:20 pm 

Anyone remember the GC location? That could be a bass I bought in 1998 and sold in 2010/2011.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2021, 5:52 am 

This may have popped back up on eBay (now at $2,500):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Warwick-S ... 5105044980

Better pictures, at least.

Attachment:
s-l1600.jpeg
s-l1600.jpeg [ 267.44 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]

Attachment:
s-l1601.jpeg
s-l1601.jpeg [ 196.51 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]

Attachment:
s-l1602.jpeg
s-l1602.jpeg [ 185.93 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]

Attachment:
s-l1603.jpeg
s-l1603.jpeg [ 272.29 KiB | Viewed 2754 times ]

PostPosted: October 14th, 2021, 6:41 am 

Stunning axe, but that price makes my eyes water. I paid € 500 for my '01 LX and € 500 for my '03 LX5. I must admit they're more affordable this close to the source, USA prices are a fair bit higher for European-made instruments. But this is just stupid.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2021, 8:29 pm 

That was mine.

I bought it new in 1999, but I think it was a '98 build. I played the hell out of it for over 11 years, but it was well maintained (oil, wax, cleaning) during that time.

After the MEC p/u's failed a second time in about 2005, the guys at Bass Emporium installed the Barts with the 5-band.

That's not an original case. I bought that one around 2005/2006. The company selling it assured me it would fit the bass (even after my detailed description included "LEFT-HANDED"). But a righty case was delivered. So I moved the contour pads and made the ugly hole in the lid to fit the stacked knobs.

In 2011 I sold it for $1000.

Someone possibly bought/installed a new tailpiece. In 1999 this was sitting in the factory when I ordered at the local store, and it originally had gold hardware. Over the phone, Warwick (or the distributor?) offered to swap for chrome, so I think they just threw on a righty bridge/tailpiece. The one time I called Warwick, they wouldn't sell a replacement. So I always played taper-core strings. That's all that would fit. But in the large pics near the bottom, it looks like the saddles are still in righty orientation, so I'm not sure.

There's a horizontal crack in the front of the control cavity, somewhere around the middle of the knobs. I can't see it in the pics, though. And there's a bit of side-to-side play it the neck pocket that is usually accompanied by a popping sound. That's all from drops (one from about 8 feet!) and some rough handling by bandmates. Before getting that case, I would do travel gigs with it in the Warwick gig bag. :oops: I bought the hard case after a road trip during which I found a guitarist's heavy backpack resting on the neck, near the headstock (with no other support beneath).

It played great - easy, low action, and that wenge neck stayed perfectly straight year round. Never had to adjust it, which is crazy.

But $2500? No way.
I think MSRP was around $2200.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2021, 2:22 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
Stunning axe, but that price makes my eyes water. I paid € 500 for my '01 LX and € 500 for my '03 LX5. I must admit they're more affordable this close to the source, USA prices are a fair bit higher for European-made instruments. But this is just stupid.

This is the San Diego guy. You can tell by the pictures without even looking at the listing. He has been flipping basses for years. I don't know how he does it, but he is really good at finding really neat stuff. He always asks top dollar (not that I blame him).

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.