LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 10:12 pm

Post subject: Re: Ibanez atk305 5-String
PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 1:49 pm 

well now, that raises an interesting maritime law question. Do the UPS barges take a day off and drop anchor for Memorial Day in the middle of the Pacific? Or maybe they hustle to get to the docks by Monday and enjoy their Pina Coladas ashore?

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 4:21 pm 

I would suppose that there is the legality of observing Memorial Day, and the practicality of getting to the destination port ASAP and avoid and kind of adverse weather condition. Hawaii is now officially beginning it's hurricane season (now to the end of November), so I'm sure the crew of an ocean-going tugboat, tethered by a massive steel cable to a huge dead-weight barge, are going to get to the Port of Honolulu as soon as possible! And it still won't be fast enough for me!

My stepdad used to be a deckhand on a tugboat in San Francisco harbor, and got hit in the mid-section by a towline that snapped and lashed back at him from a barge the tugboat was towing. If he hadn't been built similar to an old-time wrestler, and weighed less than 200lbs, he would have broken both legs, and possibly have had his pelvis crushed. As it turned out, he suffered extreme bruising, and had to have surgery to take care of a double hernia the accident caused.

Sometimes it's better to respect Mother Nature's laws over mans - and go for the Pina Collada! ;)

PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 5:45 pm 

My ATK300L arrived today, and it's in great shape, and sounds terrific! I started a new thread in the "My Bass" section, and here's the link....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=973

... and a full set of pics. Came with the original hard shell case as far as I can tell. Here's a preview pic. Just needs some cleaning and polishing, but not as much as the righty I sold. The neck is in great shape; the clear finish on the neck is like new! Body has a few dings here and there, but nothing stands out unless you get up close. I'm a happy camper! :lol: Now, the search continues for the elusive 5'er....

PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 7:50 pm 

That ATK300L is sweet! Is that an MIJ or MIK? (not that it makes much of a difference quality-wise, AFAIK).

Dare I say it, but I prefer these basses over Stingrays.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 7:52 pm 

Scratch that last question. I just saw your pix in the photo gallery section, and yours is an MIK. Nice shape it's in too!

PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 8:17 pm 

Thanks PJ, it does look sweet from a distance... ;) The only real damage is to the finish on the edge next to the control cavity. It was dropped rather hard, and has a stress-crack. Other than that, just small dings here and there... the front of the neck is real nice though - the finish looks brand new, no string marks, and is straight and true. the strings are a bit old, but it still has a great sound to it, and after turning up the preamp screw in the control cavity, it sounds balanced throughout the strings, and the three-way switch works perfectly. I'm very happy with this bass so far!

It makes me want to play in different styles, and with a pick or slapping, it sounds KILLER! I'm not very good at either of those styles, but this bass is going to motivate me to learn them!

According to the serial#, it was made in Korea in June of 1995. The original HSC is a bonus too! In looking at the back, it was made out of three pieces of Ash(?) glued together, but the grain is matched so well, you have to look closely to see glue joints. Here's a pic of the back...

Just have to put on some new strings... I'm going to use a set of Everly Brothers B-52 mediums. That's what I put on the bass I sold to my buddy, and they really sound great, with a nice growl to them. More later.....

Aloha, Ian