LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:42 pm

Post subject: BOSS ODB-3 Overdrive pedal
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 3:03 am 

Anyone here have one they are up to selling? trade?

Post subject: Re: BOSS ODB-3 Overdrive pedal
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 7:32 am 

Seriously? I can't stand the sound of that pedal, it's so compressed and it seems to cut off a serious amount of bottom end. If you really do like it, you may want to try the new Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive. It has similar tonal characteristics, but with a filter-based tone control and Q-switch, where only the filtered frequency spectrum is distorted. It has a mix-knob to dial in exactly the amount of distorted signal you want, and you can even use it as just a clean boost if you keep the drive low but the input and output level high.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 11:55 am 
Site Admin

It depends on how you use it. If you're looking for a straight up distortion box you'll turn on occasionally I don't recommend it, but if you want to use it to add just a little dirt to your overall sound it can be pretty sweet for that use.
I just actually returned one of these pedals that I was test driving. I wasn't happy with the results with my passive P-basses, it got too blurry in the lows and my tone stopped cutting, but with my Stingray it sounded killer. The combo of the bridge pickup and the active pre seemed to let a lot of the bass' natural character come through that the pedal ate up with my p-basses.

Here's a band I really like that the bass player uses the Boss ODB-3 to get what I think is a pretty cool dirty tone (with an inexpensive bass and amp too):

http://www.myspace.com/britoband

What are you planning to do with it Gravesbass?

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 1:15 am 

Thanks all... Located one and it's on the way. I have owned many of these and keep selling them. I have one somewhere but cant seem to locate it.

I need it to add a bit of a blended dirty signal. I don't want a distortion box, I just want to add a little blend drive to my tone during out solo sections. Live use pretty much only. My rig sounds killer and this will work for my project. thanks

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 9:21 am 

FYI, Monte Allums sells pedal mod kits and accessories for many Boss pedals, and it's been my experience that the mods are worth every penny. I've purchased his Boss BD-2 and CS-3 mods, and the improvement was like night and day. He sells and OD-3 mod kit, though I don't know how different the architecture is from an ODB-3. It might be worth an e-mail to him if you're interested. I highly recommend his mods:

http://www.monteallums.com/index.html

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 10:32 am 
Site Admin

pjmuck wrote:
FYI, Monte Allums sells pedal mod kits and accessories for many Boss pedals, and it's been my experience that the mods are worth every penny. I've purchased his Boss BD-2 and CS-3 mods, and the improvement was like night and day. He sells and OD-3 mod kit, though I don't know how different the architecture is from an ODB-3. It might be worth an e-mail to him if you're interested. I highly recommend his mods:

http://www.monteallums.com/index.html

Monte says no dice. The OD-3 mods don't work on the bass version.

I wish the blend on this pedal worked better. It was practically an on/off switch in dial form on the ODB-3 pedal I tried.
Props to Boss for naming a bass distortion pedal after Ol' Dirty Bastard though.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 12:23 pm 

Yep, that guy makes the killer mods. I saw that site a while back and have heard good things o his mods. Everyone is modding these days. I had a ODB-3 before and know whats it is capable of doing. Its not a great pedal but I was able to get what I wanted out of it with a little added noise. :o

Its a temporary solution until I can try an EBS MultiDrive with true bypass. I love the EBS effects and teh MultiComp is the BEST compression stomp box pedal Period! <-- my opinion

Named after Old Dirty Bastard.... LOL

WORD!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 12:24 pm 

Gawd, I misspell words like an illiterate kid. I need to slow down of use spell checker.. ha!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 2:04 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Its a temporary solution until I can try an EBS MultiDrive with true bypass. I love the EBS effects and teh MultiComp is the BEST compression stomp box pedal Period! <-- my opinion

I totally agree on the MultiComp, I love it. I subtly used it on some recent recordings, works great. Their chorus pedals are great too, both the UniChorus and the old Red Twister (I have one, that I mainly use for guitar though).
I don't really like the MultiDrive though. I think it's a little to woolly and friendly, it doesn't really cut. I currently have the Ashdown I mentioned in my earlier post and a Fulltone Bassdrive (not the new MOSFET model, if I had known it was on the way I would have waited) and together they cover the full range of overdriven and distorted tones I could ever dream of, for now.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 4:11 pm 

I have the EBS UniChorus but I rarely use it. I have BOSS Flanger FL-3 and it kicks butt for a deep beef flange effect. Great beefy boost for the bass to stand out during the guitar solos. Were a 1 guitar band now so I need my chops heard.

No on the MultiDrive eyyyy?? I don't want a distortion box, I want a grit mix box... the BOSS will work for now. So many distortion/OD boxes out there but a lot of fuzz distortion boxes. No Fuzz for me. Doesn't work in Metal. The Ashdown stuff is cool but i don't have enough room on my pedalboard to fit one of them.

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 4:13 pm 

Whoops, that was a BOSS BF-3... :shock:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 4:27 pm 

No longer require the wanted Boss ODB-3. I located one.. thx