LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 5:19 pm

Post subject: The Elusive Fender Mustang Bass
PostPosted: September 7th, 2012, 9:38 am 

It's about that time for another posting from one of us looking for the elusive left-handed Fender Mustang bass. If you know of any in good+ condition (i.e., playable with little to no work needed; nothing major wrong) please let me know. I've been looking for one on-and-off for 16 years. Missed the last one for sale by about 10 minutes. Thanks for being my eyes and ears out there!

Richard

Post subject: Re: The Elusive Fender Mustang Bass
PostPosted: September 7th, 2012, 10:57 am 

Once I find one, I'll let you know about the one after that! ;) But I'm hunting in the UK.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 8:20 pm 

I am Hunting to in Australia. Been looking for years, rare find as lefty.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 3:29 am 

I'm looking in London and the UK. Was thinking about getting a copy made. If a few people order one the cost would be reduced. Any thoughts...

PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 4:15 am 

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any from Fender Japan; they tend to cover this sort of thing very well.

But that said, I really wouldn't be interested in a Japanese model, or a Squier. I have a 77/78 Precision and I'd like a Mustang/Musicmaster to match (more or less).

PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 11:04 am 

I gotta say... I got super lucky after waiting all these years. About two weeks ago I grabbed a 77 Musicmaster from a guy in Florida who got it on a trade. He posted on eBay and I bought it within 3 minutes. After looking for over 10 years, I'm thrilled. Would have loved a Mustang with racing stripes, but I'll take what I can get. That said, I'm always interested in getting a Mustang, even building one to spec. :-) Keep me in the loop if you explore options.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2012, 11:22 am 

I actually ordered one back in '69 or '70. After some seven or eight months without even an estimated date of arrival, I finally cancelled it about bought a Moserite instead. That was back in the day that they waited until they had several orders before reversing the machines for a short run. Apparently no one else wanted a lefty Mustang back then. I wish I had held out at times. It would have been the Champagne color.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 11:10 pm 

Hey rdavidson

Two weeks ago. I found a 1975 Lefty Mustang 20 minutes from my house in San Diego on Craigslist. I bought it from the 1st owner. I was stoked to find it especially because the ad had been up for a week before I noticed it.

Looking for 16 years? That's tough. If I sell this one I'll let you know. I like it.

Keep your eyes open.

Attachments:
File comment: 1975 Lefty Mustang Bass.
1975 Mustang.jpg
1975 Mustang.jpg [ 239.84 KiB | Viewed 15318 times ]
PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 9:13 am 

BuildTone wrote:
Hey rdavidson

Two weeks ago. I found a 1975 Lefty Mustang 20 minutes from my house in San Diego on Craigslist. I bought it from the 1st owner. I was stoked to find it especially because the ad had been up for a week before I noticed it.

Looking for 16 years? That's tough. If I sell this one I'll let you know. I like it.

Keep your eyes open.

Man, that's awesome! I didn't see that one pop up here or on any of my alerts. And I've got family in SD who could have checked it out for me. Oh well... eventually. Enjoy your new bass!

Mind if I ask how much it went for?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2013, 8:31 pm 

He asked $995. I gave him $1000. The guy I met with was the guitar playing brother of the owner. He said he thought his brother was nuts to sell it. I didn't try to convince him otherwise :)

It's so light and easy on the hands for a guy who plays alot of guitar too. Definitely sounds different from J's and P's. It's good for re-creating certain tones I think. It's fun to play.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 12:31 am 

BuildTone wrote:
He asked $995. I gave him $1000. The guy I met with was the guitar playing brother of the owner. He said he thought his brother was nuts to sell it. I didn't try to convince him otherwise :)

It's so light and easy on the hands for a guy who plays alot of guitar too. Definitely sounds different from J's and P's. It's good for re-creating certain tones I think. It's fun to play.

Wowza, you got a great deal! I've seen them go for as high as $2200 left handed. Even righties typically go for more. I'm gonna be in SD next weekend if you want to sell it to me. :-)

PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 11:44 am 

Wow, incredible deal, and I love the mocha brown finish. Owning a Mustang is still on my bucket list too...

PostPosted: May 10th, 2014, 3:54 am 

BuildTone wrote:
Hey rdavidson

Keep your eyes open.

Man! That's nice!! I've been searching the UK for one for a while now. They're super rare!!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2014, 10:07 am 

Just a heads up - Theres a white one floating around thats a total POS.. stay away as its not right and its had major repairs. Its been like 3 other colors and was just refined again literally in the past week..

PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 9:07 am 

They are rare as hens teeth!! I've been searching the UK for one for the last 6 months you cannot get these anywhere!! It would be nice if Fender thought a little more about us lefties!!

If anyone's selling a musicmaster bass message me!!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2014, 6:00 am 

Hi guys,

I am a newbie on this forum(or almost, i've been looking at various posts for 2 years or so). I need your help. Here is my story:

I am a guitar player. I own a few nice vintage pieces but I own only one bass: a 71' precision bass.

Today I have the opportunity to buy a 74 lefty mustang bass. It is more or less in the same condition as this one:

Same color, more or less same chemical marks. It comes with its OHSC which is in fair condition.

How much would you value this bass?

I know it's extremely rare and desirable but would you pay over 2k for it?

Let me know what you guys think !

If I happen to finally buy it, i will post some pictures here :)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2014, 8:31 am 

Where is it? If you don't buy it, I will. ;-)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2014, 8:44 am 

rdavidson wrote:
Where is it? If you don't buy it, I will. ;-)

That's my secret haha! I just want to make sure I'm not paying too much for it :)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2014, 9:46 am 

I'm kidding of course, I would never buy out from under someone who's getting ready to buy. As far as the price, they don't hit the market that often, so it's a crap shoot. I've seen them sell in recent years for as low as $1800 and as high as $2200 if memory serves me right. (For comparison, lefty Musicmaster basses have gone for $1200-$1800.) If condition is great and there's demand, $2K+ might be high but not necessarily unreasonable, especially if there are multiple people interested in the bass. :-)

Regardless of what happens, let us know the details about where and how you found out about it... when you're ready!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2014, 7:04 am 

And here it is! I literally just got it :) it doesn't only look great, it sounds great too. It is also so easy to play. I really don't regret buying it.

How did I find it? I posted a thread in the wanted section of leftyfrets. A meme net answered but I never noticed his answer. A year later I contacted him and we made a deal :D