LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 7:57 am

Post subject: Wanted: 6 string cut away fretted acoustic guitar bass
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 7:38 pm 

Hi all you other lefty's (or weird rightys who use lefty instruments) I'm on the hunt for a lefty, 6 string fretted acoustic bass guitar with a cut away. I'm intending to create my own (w/ the help of some of Santa Cruz, CA's finest luthiers) resonator (ala dobro/national) bass. Any help appreciated, and it's good to be here ( I was steered over here by lefty phenom, Jeff Schmidt.

Post subject: Re: Wanted: 6 string cut away fretted acoustic guitar bass
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 5:32 am 

I got curious about six string acoustics, and Googled away! Came across this builder's website,

http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/

have any of you guys from Britain or Europe heard of him? he makes beautiful basses and guitars. Steve, click on the newsletter link, hit the past issues link, and click on the January 31,2009 newsletter. Scroll down a bit, and there is an ingenious acoustic bass bridge mod for intonating and adjusting the action. Something to think about incorporating into a build....

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 9:30 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
I got curious about six string acoustics, and Googled away! Came across this builder's website,

http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/

have any of you guys from Britain or Europe heard of him? he makes beautiful basses and guitars. Steve, click on the newsletter link, hit the past issues link, and click on the January 31,2009 newsletter. Scroll down a bit, and there is an ingenious acoustic bass bridge mod for intonating and adjusting the action. Something to think about incorporating into a build....

I googled as well and only came up with Kinal for 6 string acoustics. Chris Larkin does seem to make some cool and interesting stuff. Check out his bass gallery. There's a "James lefty semi 6" listed. Not quite a true acoustic, but he makes those as well. He also has another bass listed with a midi setup, where he placed a dummy pickup cover in the center to serve the player as a ramp (To tie this all into another thread).

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 6:59 pm 

I spent several hours looking at his bass gallery, and his guitar gallery, and reading everything on his website. What I came away with was a great respect for his designs, and his willingness to work with his cutomers/clients, and is able to come up with an instrument that is one-of-a-kind, and beautifully executed. I'm very impressed with his building skills, and philosophy reverence for materials and instruments. I'm inclined to make Ireland a future destination just to stop by and meet him, and talk to him about building a bass!

Of course this trip is right up there with getting a ride on the space shuttle, and about as easy to finagle! :lol: