LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:49 am

Post subject: Looking for a good 5-string.
PostPosted: January 31st, 2021, 5:41 am 

So recently I've had not one but two Fender Jazz Bass V's slip through my fingers and I'm really itching to get a 5-string bass. I live in Japan so a lot of normal options aren't open for me, but on the other hand a few unusual ones are. Here's what I'm considering:

I found an Ibanez SR505 for around $500. I've been suggested these and on paper they look great but the style is not something for me.

I also found a used 90's Fender Jazz Bass V for sale for around $1300. Having seen two slip through for less than $900, that price stings a bit, but I also know these are rare and it's weird that I saw two in 3 months.

I was thinking about a Kiesel bass and what I want would be around $1500 plus probably way too much for shipping to Japan.

I contacted Bacchus and was told the Woodline517 is available in Lefty. They quoted me around $2000 but I could probably get it a bit cheaper if I went through the dealer.

All three of these options keep bouncing through my head. I know the Ibanez is a good deal, but I really would prefer something made in Japan/US/Europe. I would like to see one in person to see if I feel better about it, but I don't think I can find one near where I live and it's not easy for me to go downtown these days. I'm also terrible at selling gear, so if I don't like it I'll probably hang on to it and just not like it for a few years at least.

The Fender Jazz Bass V is basically exactly what I want, but maybe because of the ones that slipped through my fingers, I think it's overpriced. It's sold by a high-end pawn shop (think Rolexes and designer bags) so I know they've inspected and cleaned it thoroughly so maybe it's not such a bad price when compared to a guy on an auction site? I have a Mexican Jazz Bass 4 string that I quite enjoy so I know I'd be satisfied with it.

The Kiesel seems intriguing, but frankly there are a lot of decisions to be made and if I don't like it, it would be costly to send it back.

And finally the Bacchus is basically exactly what I want, but pretty pricey for me. I honestly prefer used and while I can afford it, I initially wanted something under $1000, so nearly doubling that makes it a lot less appealing. Then I start thinking about the Ibanez and I'm back to where I started.

So any thoughts or advice? Also any other suggestions I might have missed? I've been combing Reverb and Ebay and nothing else has really caught my eye. I am not picky with brands at all, however I am a bit picky with where things are made.

Any help will be appreciated.